* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

I've just started reading this:

images

The Man of Steel film is supposed to borrow elements from this story, which is why I am checking it out.

The whole comic has a whole Batman Begins vibe, which ironically is the vibe they've gone for in Man of Steel.

I want to check out Kingdom Come as well, and Superman Birthright, although I've been told Birthright is more of a mixed bag.

I've just started reading this:

images

The Man of Steel film is supposed to borrow elements from this story, which is why I am checking it out.

The whole comic has a whole Batman Begins vibe, which ironically is the vibe they've gone for in Man of Steel.

I want to check out Kingdom Come as well, and Superman Birthright, although I've been told Birthright is more of a mixed bag.

Birthright is the one they have leant from apparently, that was the story when production first began, Earth One came out after production of Man of Steel started.

Got me a couple to read over the christmas holiday - Batman Year One and The Nightly News which I think i'll enjoy as Secret has been a good read.

Bought my girlfriend '5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mount' by the Oatmeal as she never minds me dragging her into Daves Comics and always seems to look through this.

Can anyone recommend me some Marvel storylines that are considered to be good??

I grew up loving most of the Marvel characters, specifically The Avengers, X-Men, Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man etc and wondered what storylines I should check out??

I've just got hold of the Extremis plotline in Iron Man but there seems to be a lot of crossover plots before and after that could be worth a read???

Thanks for any suggestions....

I grew up loving most of the Marvel characters, specifically The Avengers, X-Men, Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man etc and wondered what storylines I should check out??

I've just got hold of the Extremis plotline in Iron Man but there seems to be a lot of crossover plots before and after that could be worth a read???

In order:

Avengers Dissassembled
Extremis
House of M
Planet Hulk
Civil War / The Initiative
Endangered Species / Messiah Complex
World War Hulk
Secret Invasion
Dark Reign
Messiah War / Utopia
Fall of the Hulks
Seige
Second Coming
World War Hulks
Curse of the Mutants
Chaos War
Age of X

That will take you from 2004 - 2011.

I've made my way from Civil War (beyond awesome!) to Age of X over the past 2 years.

Civil War and Dark Reign have been my favourite events, both have very comprehensive read orders online.

In order:

Avengers Dissassembled
Extremis
House of M
Planet Hulk
Civil War / The Initiative
Endangered Species / Messiah Complex
World War Hulk
Secret Invasion
Dark Reign
Messiah War / Utopia
Fall of the Hulks
Seige
Second Coming
World War Hulks
Curse of the Mutants
Chaos War
Age of X

That will take you from 2004 - 2011.

I've made my way from Civil War (beyond awesome!) to Age of X over the past 2 years.

Civil War and Dark Reign have been my favourite events, both have very comprehensive read orders online.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

I've got hold of Disassembled but it's a bit disjointed 4-5 episodes in - hopefully it will pick up!
I'll definitely have a look at the others you listed tho!

I've already got Siege but always wondered what events led up to the start of it (Norman Osborne as Iron Patriot and feuding with Dr Doom and the Asgardian events!)

When you say in order, I assume you literally mean these are somehow tied together and should be read in that order?

Infinity Gauntlet is a brilliant classic story, and is certainly looking like being the basis for the next Avengers film.

Ed Brubaker's current run on Captain America is astonishing, and shows how good the Cap film could have been.

Ultimates 1 & 2 are an excellent alternate take on the Avengers. Don't bother past that though.

Grant Morrison's New X-Men run (collected as an omnibus) is worth your time, as is Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

I read Bedlam a while back and loved it.
The TP only has the first 5 episodes but it was still a lot of fun to read.

Imagine the Joker becoming 'sane' and going on the straight, that's what the basis is for Madder Red

Back
Top Bottom