The England Cricket Thread

Caporegime
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59739472

What's that Albert Einstein quote? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? If Sliverwood even with the benefit of hindsight can't see the mistakes he's made we have no chance of winning a single test in this series let alone retain the Ashes.

This is either a desperate attempt to justify himself, or the absolute pinnacle of hubris.

Associate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59739472

What's that Albert Einstein quote? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? If Sliverwood even with the benefit of hindsight can't see the mistakes he's made we have no chance of winning a single test in this series let alone retain the Ashes.

Small point of fact : You need to be in possession of the Ashes in order to retain them meaning you can draw the series. Regain them means you have to win the series outright, which looks something of a long shot particularly in Australia. 2033-34 providing the Aussies are going through a rebuilding phase looks a strong shout.

Soldato
Small point of fact : You need to be in possession of the Ashes in order to retain them meaning you can draw the series. Regain them means you have to win the series outright, which looks something of a long shot particularly in Australia. 2033-34 providing the Aussies are going through a rebuilding phase looks a strong shout.
Tbh, the Aussie's aren't that much better then us it's i.e the talnet gap between the two teams isn't as big as it was when we went there in Steve Waugh era. A lot of England's short comings are self inflicted (selection being the obvious one) and a lack of preparation all of which are fixable but only if the ECB can recognise what's going on and are prepared to take action.

Associate
Sounds a bit like denial....this aussie team are streets ahead and they are only the 3rd best test team in the world.

touring Aus with your 2 premier pacer's having a combined age of over 74 would be a worry.

They've just tonked you by 275 runs despite having to play their 5/6 choice seamers and losing their captain at very short notice before the 2nd test. I think its safe to say they are streets ahead IMHO.

Soldato
Sounds a bit like denial....this aussie team are streets ahead and they are only the 3rd best test team in the world.

touring Aus with your 2 premier pacer's having a combined age of over 74 would be a worry.

They've just tonked you by 275 runs despite having to play their 5/6 choice seamers and losing their captain at very short notice before the 2nd test. I think its safe to say they are streets ahead IMHO.
You think this Aussie team is comparable to the Steve Waugh/Ricky Ponting era sides? I don't, the results are a reflection of poor team management on the part of England then anything else. I guess you could argue that's part and parcel of being a competent test side in which case the Australians are miles ahead of us.

Caporegime
You think this Aussie team is comparable to the Steve Waugh/Ricky Ponting era sides?

He didn't say that. Obviously they're not on the level of Waugh/Ponting, but I think it's time to abandon the pretence that there's no significant skill difference between the two teams. Australia is performing better in every way, that's just a fact. I don't think England's team is even in the same class.

Back
Top Bottom