The England Cricket Thread

fez

fez

Caporegime
I doubt he will be going after that. He was clearly really boozed and after defending himself he went on the attack when the two guys were backing off. Utterly utterly retarded thing to do.

Man of Honour
I fully expect him to he charged personally so it's irrelevant what England want to do...he won't be going.

Not sure on legal process but from what I understand online a first ABH offence (assuming it is his first) may be sentenced to a fine and community order so I guess that may not necessarily preclude him from travelling.
Bit unfortunate timing for the ECB with squad getting announced then straight away into this.

Not 100% convinced on the batting lineup for the Ashes but to be fair I haven't seen much of Australia lately either.

Caporegime
I doubt he will be going after that. He was clearly really boozed and after defending himself he went on the attack when the two guys were backing off. Utterly utterly retarded thing to do.

Yep this, the Sun website has some decent CCTV footage of the 'brawl' taking place, it reaches a point where everyone is just trying to make peace except for Stokes who decides to floor one of them. It's difficult to see how he can claim self defence when the guy he floored appears to be trying to calm him down at the time.

Man of Honour
Stokes and Hales suspended by ECB pending investigation.

Regarding the above, I guess the problem is when you are in a group if someone piles in with bottles, your options are a bit limited:
1) Stand there and take it, maybe risking serious injury
2) Leg it and leave your mates high and dry to get stoved in
3) Fight back

Now after a few drinks he's probably taken #3 a bit far and could have pulled out sooner. Regardless of what actually happened, part of the problem for the ECB is whether England stars should be getting themselves into this situation at gone half two in the morning. Nowadays everyone has a video camera in their pocked so whatever you do in public can be recorded and played back for all to see, whereas perhaps 15+ years ago that wasn't the case.

Imagine England are there at the Gabba, Stokes is at the crease with England on 90/5 so plenty of Aussies round the bat, incessantly chirping away. There's a real risk his position in the squad is going to become untenable.

Permabanned
The guy is done for big time. Could have been the best cricketer we have ever had, now we will never know.

Some new video of him circulating mocking Jordan's son Harvey.

If he isn't banned and plays for England again KP will be miffed.

I do not think he will play again.

Caporegime
Frankie Boyle made jokes about Harvey and he's still getting on with his job. Different rules for comedians I guess.

Get Stokes in the team, if only because some of the sledging from the convicts will be hilarious.

Associate
I personally think the ECB should have picked Stokes for the Ashes despite his misconduct. Disciplinary actions should have been in the shape of a hefty fine or something similar than not picking him. Let's face it, England need Ben Stokes, whether he has been a naughty boy or not as he is too valuable of a player to be dropped.

Even the Aussies admit that he is indeed an impact player with bat and ball. Filling his spot will not be easy.

Associate
I think we've got more to worry than the Aussies have to if I am honest. Their bowling is solid and their batting has been strong at home, as always.

When you compare that to England, half of our top order averages 24.30 (Stoneman, Vince and Malan). So we're already at a big disadvantage without even stepping onto the playing field. If our bowlers don't peak, we're going to have a hard time.

I fear the worst...

Man of Honour
You've never heard of Glenn Maxwell?! He's been around a long time, albeit featuring more prominently in shorter forms of the game. Scores very rapidly (strike rate typically well over 150 in T20) but not sure whether he can translate that into test form remains to be seen. Used to play for Hampshire.

Back
Top Bottom