The England Cricket Thread

Associate
BBC said:
The charges in full:
Cricket Australia said Smith:

• knew of a potential plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • failed to take steps to seek to prevent the development and implementation of that plan
  • directed that evidence of attempted tampering be concealed on the field of play
  • sought to mislead match officials and others regarding Bancroft's attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • made misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent and participants of the plan
The body said Warner:

• developed a plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • instructed a junior player to carry out a plan to take steps to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball using sandpaper
  • provided advice to a junior player regarding how a ball could be artificially altered including demonstrating how it could be done
  • failed to take steps to seek to prevent the development and/or implementation of the plan
  • failed to report his knowledge of the plan at any time prior to or during the match
  • misled match officials through the concealment of his knowledge of and involvement in the plan
  • failed to voluntarily report his knowledge of the plan after the match
It found Bancroft:

• knew of the existence of, and was being party to, the plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball using sandpaper
  • carried out instructions to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • sought to conceal evidence of his attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • sought to mislead match officials and others regarding his attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • made misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent, implementation and participants of the plan

Caporegime
I don't really follow cricket but am baffled as to why they would do this? There are cameras everywhere and they seemed to be caught quite easily.

What a way to throw your career(s) away.

Don
I've been reading and listening to lots of ex players about this and I'm stunned by the how big a deal has been made out of this. Every single ex player talking about the situation has admitted that one way or another, every team illegally tampers with the ball. I saw a long list of previous offenders along with their punishments and iinm, most received little more than a fine or at worst a suspension for a couple of games. What's so much worse in this instance to warrant such long suspensions? The fact that they admitted it was planned, as if none of these previous incidents were? Or because they used a piece of tape instead of their finger nail, a zip on their trousers or sugary saliva? The only justification for the reaction in the press and these punishments is that they're hypocrites, having previously criticising other sides or supporters for their behaviour.

Soldato
So basically they lied, on camera, during that press conference about what was actually used to tamper with the ball by saying it was tape from their cricket kit. The issue here has gone beyond ball tampering. They've intentionally lied to cover up the situation, and now their integrity has been compromised. I am not sure that the punishments given out are severe enough to be honest.

I also cannot believe that Lehmann knew nothing about this. Nor the bowlers, the players that handle the ball the most and would be the ones having to look out for the extra swing that ball tampering will have produced. Either Cricket Australia are covering this up, or they're incredibly naïve (which I don't believe to be the case). Sutherland is most likely in cahoots with the rest of the people in the know here. And again, Lehmann not knowing anything about this is utter rubbish. He was on the walkie-talkie telling them to put it away when he realised the cameras were onto them, and is a big part of why this current team culture is the way it is. He's a brash bully and is full of himself! Come on, seriously! How far this actually goes is anyone's guess, but I bet it runs pretty deep.

Soldato
I've been reading and listening to lots of ex players about this and I'm stunned by the how big a deal has been made out of this. Every single ex player talking about the situation has admitted that one way or another, every team illegally tampers with the ball. I saw a long list of previous offenders along with their punishments and iinm, most received little more than a fine or at worst a suspension for a couple of games. What's so much worse in this instance to warrant such long suspensions? The fact that they admitted it was planned, as if none of these previous incidents were? Or because they used a piece of tape instead of their finger nail, a zip on their trousers or sugary saliva? The only justification for the reaction in the press and these punishments is that they're hypocrites, having previously criticising other sides or supporters for their behaviour.

There are a number of issues here that make this incident bad. Firstly, it was pre-meditated to the point where they actually brought a piece of sandpaper onto the field to alter the condition of the ball (whereas most ball-tampering incidents have occurred through throwing the ball at the stumps hard between plays, scuffing it on the pitch, so on and so forth). Secondly this was clearly decided by the "leadership group", whoever that is. Thirdly, it got to the point where they then tried to cover it up by sending the 12th man onto the pitch to hide the evidence (by all video accounts it appeared to come from the coach), then they lied to the umpires by taking out a sunglasses bag and saying it was that that he took out of his pocket, and then they lied about what they did in the press conference by saying he was using tape from his kit, not sandpaper which it has been found to be now. Given the important of Cricket to Australia, it's a huge shock to all fans for which Cricket is a way of life. Remember that over there (and in South Africa), Cricket is basically like football is here. South Africans and Australians are fanatical about it, and something like this shocks those fans to the core. I would imagine that a lot of faith in the team has been lost through this incident.

Don
Is any of the above any different to what others have done? Did South African's captain accidentally take sweets onto the field so he could use them to help shine the ball? It was a pre-meditated decision from him, the captain, to do it and iinm has been done for ball tampering twice now - first time he was fined 50% of his match fee and the second time 100%, neither times did he get suspended.

So they lied - is that really the difference between a small fine and a 1 year suspension? Their biggest mistake is admitting to the fact it was pre planned - I'm sure all the others that have been caught lied through their teeth claiming it was a one off or a momentary brain fart rather than admit they too planned to do whatever they could to scuff up 1 side of the ball.

As I mentioned, every pundit commenting has said that all teams use every trick in the book to tamper with the ball - the only difference here is they've actually taken something onto the pitch to help them do it. The fact that it's Australia and this particular Australia side is universally disliked has meant we've had a media frenzy and as a result their governing body has been shamed into taking serious action.

Soldato
Yeah feels like it's gone a bit far now, they've been caught and punished let them get on with things now, nobody has died!

All this has done is made damn sure anyone who is caught cheating will not own up to it now as the mob baying for blood and circus after this has hardly proved honesty is the best policy, you're better off playing dumb and taking your chances than owning up!

Soldato
Deffo overboard, every single team on the planet is at it to some degree with them getting caught every now and a again.

A year suspension, fines, losing captaincy, blubbering on tv etc has gone too far.

A few matches ban and a fine would suffice, stripping of captaincy if wanting to be harsh.

Although it is fun seeing the Aussies get it in the arse so I’m not complaining too much :)

Soldato
Smith turning on the waterworks now, blubbering like a baby and Lehman is resigning.

All going a bit ridiculous now.

All without any waterworks whatsoever. It was such a disingenuous display to be honest. He makes all the faces of someone fake crying, with not a single tear being shed.

Lehmann is also pathetic. Actual proper tears for what? His team cheated on his watch, plain and simple, and he knew about it for sure. There's absolutely no way that he didn't. But Cricket Australia have allowed him to save face and step down rather than being sacked. A deal has been worked out somewhere, that's for sure...

Soldato
I've just seem Cameron Bancroft's 'apolgy', what self centered, selfish *****. His biggest regret was allowing giving someone else his place in team and wasn't at all concerned about letting his teammates down and embarrassing his country. :mad:

Man of Honour
Warner’s apology was the worst case of crocodile tears I’ve ever seen, even worse than Smith. Never seen a man try so hard to force out a single tear

How is anyone taking these apologies seriously?

Soldato
Warner’s apology was the worst case of crocodile tears I’ve ever seen, even worse than Smith. Never seen a man try so hard to force out a single tear

How is anyone taking these apologies seriously?

Warner was horrific as you say. Smith I'm more inclined to give benefit of the doubt to. Bancorfts wasn't much better than Warners to be quite frank.

Soldato
I wish one our players would walk out onto the field with a power sander, that really would be the cherry on the cake!

Someone on the BBC was suggested that the rules for the ODI's give batsmen to many advantages and they should be looked at. Well it's the same for both sides and if we can club nearly 500 runs in 50 overs then it leads to an exciting run chase. I remember the ODI series from a few years ago where England played New Zealand back in 2015 it was the best series of games I've ever watched. In the 1st game England racked up 408 runs, in the 2nd match England were chasing 398 and fell a bit short at 359 of 50 overs and in the game 4 England win by 1 run (350 vs 349).

Soldato
I thought I'd ask here as it is probably the best place.

Has anyone played any of the Cricket Captain games available on Steam? A new one for 2018 is coming out at some point this month, and I'm thinking of getting it. Was wondering what people thought of the series.

Shame I missed the last T20 game. Looking forward to the test series with India coming up :). I much prefer test match cricket to the one day stuff.

Back
Top Bottom