Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (June Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 794 45.1%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 965 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The current situation is like you giving me £1000 every month, and I'll send you £600 worth of food, clothing, other necessaries in return. Does that sound like a good deal to you? If so let me know and I'll give you my bank details. How are we not better off by not paying?

If you look at it purely in terms of net monetary value, yes you are right - taking into account the figures in that source, every person in the UK will be 26p per day better off if we were no longer an EU member. The question is, do you think that it's worth paying 26p per day to remain a member of the EU? For you, obviously not. Personally, I suspect it might be a price worth paying to maintain a position as an influencing member of the union, especially given that even if we do leave, a large amount of our trade will still need to be conducted with EU member states. For me, 26p per day to maintain that influence doesn't really strike me as a bad deal at all.

I'd pay 26p a day to leave lol.

with the uncertainty and slump in the market, you'll end up paying far more if the vote goes that way and in likely hood, you'll still be paying the Eu and have free movement as we would have to join eea.
the whole we would be better off, its completely false, as it ignores everything apart from the most basic thing, which isn't how economics work.

I dread this debate turning to immigration. For me this is not about immigration.

I am out on grounds of the nature of the unelected European state...

This might come as a shock to you, get ready... the European Parliament has elections! Every five years! The last one was in 2014.

You can look your MEPs up here: http://www.europarl.org.uk/en/your-meps.html

Last edited:
If you look at it purely in terms of net monetary value, yes you are right - taking into account the figures in that source, every person in the UK will be 26p per day better off if we were no longer an EU member. The question is, do you think that it's worth paying 26p per day to remain a member of the EU? For you, obviously not. Personally, I suspect it might be a price worth paying to maintain a position as an influencing member of the union, especially given that even if we do leave, a large amount of our trade will still need to be conducted with EU member states. For me, 26p per day to maintain that influence doesn't really strike me as a bad deal at all.

It's less than people pay for certain bank accounts that give benefits of membership, like card protection, breakdown insurance, EU travel insurance....which add up to more than the fee paid....

We'd have the influence regardless.

If the Uk leaving the EU is going to be so 'damaging' to the worlds economy why isn't the EU bending over backwards to convince us to stay? :confused:

Dave's deal a few months back was distinctly meh and no one really claimed otherwise.

its not so much the world, its the UK.

The eu has to protect itself and protect itself from other eu countries wanting great deals and or leaving and getting great deals. in a leave vote.
expect exactly the same terms as countries like Switzerland, nullifying 95% of the leaves reason for actually leaving.

the whole we would be better off, its completely false, as it ignores everything apart from the most basic thing, which isn't how economics work.

This.

It is unreasonable to expect everyone to understand economics as not everyone can meet the expected minimum level of intelligence to get this, this is why I have mixed feelings on democracy.

We'd have the influence regardless.

Cool, can you elaborate? What are you basing that on? If we are no longer a member state, is there a way we can still vote on EU proposals, or attempt to block them?

My point was that there are benefits to EU membership to consider which may be worth more to us than than the amount we'd save by giving up our membership.

EDIT:

Why do you think we wouldn't? And see if you can answer in a way that isn't a. hysterical and b. makes sense.

I thought I'd already done that, but I shall clarify the point:

In order to either vote in favour or vote to block EU proposals, you need to be an EU member state. If we decide to leave the EU, we are no longer a member state, but we will still want to do a large portion of our trading within the EU as our closest market. But if any proposals are made which might negatively affect our relationship with that market, we no longer get to vote on them or protest against them.

I assume you think that our position as a member state is irrelevant to our influence. What is that based on? How else can we maintain our influence without a seat at the EU table? This is a genuine question, I'm guessing you know the answer, hence why I asked you to elaborate as I would genuinely like to know.

Last edited:
If all the remain MP's & economists & Cameron are so clued up about what's going to happen if we leave, how come they didn't see the recession of 2008 coming?

Reason - Cause they are talking out their A hole & have no idea. Just like all the remain Behave - Gilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom