Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yes, exactly. So why are you scaremongering about Turkish immigrants being a terrorist threat when the reality is that most terrorist attacks carried out in this country are carried out by homegrown terrorists?

Also, let's get this in perspective: Islamic terror is simply not a big threat in Europe. This country faced far greater threat from Irish terrorism and we were far less hysterical about. The reality is that terrorism has gone down not up:

o-TERRORISM-570_zpscy0zbzzi.jpg

2 of the attackers in Paris had come through Greece from Turkey. My entire point was though that Turkey has a lot of other issues with crime, corruption and sexist attitudes that you can't just ignore. Turkey will be an EU member one day, even if it's 20 years from now, and none of it's current problems will have gone away

On the subject of international terrorism though, how many attacks have been foiled I wonder?

Last edited:
Soldato
Close friends and family who are voting Out:

Frontline police officer
Career NHS nurse
Tax lawyer
Self-employed graphic designer
Self-employed kitchen fitter
Career NHS midwife
Self-employed consultant
Retail regional manager
Network engineer
Self-employed builder
Motorcycle mechanic
Primary school teacher
Secondary school languages teacher
5 retired people

The people above have said that they also find it rare to know someone personally who will vote Remain.

Same here , everyone I know is voting out, are any of the national newspaper polls showing genuine results I wonder?
This forum is populated by all age groups from teenagers to pensioners & I come under the latter, and yet the leave vote is storming ahead further with each monthly vote so how can we trust any of the other polls that all apparently show remainers in the lead :confused:

Soldato
Same here , everyone I know is voting out, are any of the national newspaper polls showing genuine results I wonder?
This forum is populated by all age groups from teenagers to pensioners & I come under the latter, and yet the leave vote is storming ahead further with each monthly vote so how can we trust any of the other polls that all apparently show remainers in the lead :confused:

Bookies have Brexit down at 20%. Keep dreaming. ;)

Soldato
how can we trust any of the other polls that all apparently show remainers in the lead :confused:

It depends on so many things, a poll consisting of people working in central London or students will probably get a lot more remains than a village in Kent.

On a side note the only person I've talked to that says remain was a photographer, their only reason being they travel a lot :o.

Caporegime
Problem is both sides of this debate are using various forms of Project Fear, as the leave campaign can't actually generate any facts for their 'pros' as it is basically an unknown, and the remain campaigns don't really want to talk about their 'pros' as most sections of the media portray the 'pros' as negatives. People tend to believe some section of the media.

Exactly. :)

My previous post was pointing out the hypocrisy of the leave side calling remain "Project fear" when both sides can be as bad as each other, and the media even worse - making potentially positive messages into negative ones.

An example of the above being the recent report about scientific funding. Positive message - EU gives X Billion to UK scientific research. Negative message by many media outlets - Britain could lose X Billion in scientific funding if it leaves.

Don
Bookies have Brexit down at 20%. Keep dreaming. ;)
Bookies had Leicester down at 5000-1 to win the league. Bookies odds aren't the odds of something happening by the way either, it's a risk balance based on the money being spent on the two options - they want to minimise their payout in the event of the winning outcome being the most backed by punters.

Caporegime
I've just posted my views on terrorism, feel free to respond. Do you not think there's anything to worry about considering Turkey has a 500 mile border with Syria and has refugees crossing regularly? Obviously a lot of these won't have passports and could literally be anyone

I'd assume that in 10-20 years time Syria would be a very different place, and the refugee crisis coming from Syria would be at a very different stage... Why are you projecting what is happening today on something that may or may not happen in a couple of decades?

Soldato
I'm the most undecided on this vote as I ever have been on a public vote. Like many, there's just not enough of an argument either way.

My heart says out, my head says better the devil you know, remain in

Caporegime

It's called social circles. One of the reasons anecdotal evidence is so unreliable. You associate and speak with people in similar circles and generally with similar viewpoints. many people on the remain side will have a similar feeling about leave voters, being surrounded by people that will be voting remain.

It's not some secret plot to hide the truth, it's just a normal effect of who you socialize with. It's a bit worrying though how many people are already starting to call "conspiracy" in this thread though!

Soldato
I'd assume that in 10-20 years time Syria would be a very different place, and the refugee crisis coming from Syria would be at a very different stage... Why are you projecting what is happening today on something that may or may not happen in a couple of decades?

I don't think that part of the Middle East is going to change in the next hundred years, never mind 10-20. We'll be colonising Mars while they're still fighting over the nuances of their religion

Soldato
I only know of a couple of friends who are voting out and all I see in people's windows near where I live in Remain posters (apart from one for Bernie Sanders :o).

I'd be a fool to think that everyone is voting remain though. My friends are my friends for a reason. My neighbours are my neighbours for a reason.

Soldato
There are those trying their best to associate leaving with racism, so what people say in response to the question and what box they tick in the privacy of the voting booth may be different.

Soldato
Yeah that's a concern, there's obviously a lot of terrorist attacks in Turkey and easier movement between Turkey and Europe would almost certainly lead to a Western country being targeted

The terrorist attacks as I said previously are large from Kurdish groups. Why exactly would they target a western country?

Secondly we still have border controls and a channel in between, and so don't see how it affects whether we should be part of the EU. Only Turkish citizens would be allowed to come to the UK, not illegal immigrants into Turkey.

Finally, what makes you think the Turkish border is any more leaky than other Eastern European countries?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom