Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
We have stringent TB testing criteria for our cattle, under EU directive, which costs the government a fortune. Outside the EU we could vaccinate against it as do countless other countries.

Which countries use TB vaccination?

As far as I'm aware the evidence for TB vaccination in cattle being effective is poor, the vaccine has been around since 1911 and we chose not to use it before we ever joined the EU, and - in any case - we wouldn't be able to use TB vaccination for as long as we want to continue trading with the EU anyway so it's very doubtful the UK would actually adopt it if we left the EU.

Caporegime
I would like to see a poll of people who are going to vote remain but also would like to see the EU reformed.

I don't really want to leave the EU but I don't see any way that it can be reformed either. Still undecided as to how to proceed.

Unfortunately we can't vote for that in the referendum.

Soldato
Oh no, they're killing our environment! This looks like a job for Nationalism! It makes sense - implementing joint decisions that take into account that we Europeans share our water and air would be much less efficient than each country closing their borders and tackling the issues in isolation. :D

:o

We can cooperate on environmental issues without acceding to further political integration. Here are some examples.

These aren't projects aimed at "furthering the integration of the EU into a single state"; they're social sciences research.

Why do cultural/social/co-operation projects mean furthering the integration of the EU into a single state? Eg. Erasmus does those things but really isn't furthering the integration of the EU into a single state....

Will respond properly to this later but considering a third of the entire EU budget is spent on "Economic, social and territorial cohesion" I don't think it's an unfair assumption to say that funding is intended to drive the EU ever closer towards a single state.

Soldato
I don't really want to leave the EU but I don't see any way that it can be reformed either. Still undecided as to how to proceed.

I think that is the key point that neither the Remain or Leave campaigns are addressing properly.

So say we vote to stay in, what is the future of the EU really? It obviously isn't going to be a federal superstate because nobody would agree to that willingly, and the current state of the eurozone can't continue for much longer.

If we vote to remain in, and 6 months later Greece abandons the Euro and leaves the EU (would the two go hand in hand?) and precipitates other debt-laden countries leaving, where does that leave us? Certainly not better off. Would an EU consisting of the Northern Eurozone and Southern states with individual currencies even work? Would we be better off joining the Euro at that point?

God knows.

Suspended
I am not sure I believe the latest polls. And the fear mongering from Remain is frankly disgusting. Its campaign has been almost wholly negative. You should be inspiring people to vote for you, not scaring them.

Still, sheeple will do as sheeple are told I suppose.

Caporegime
Where has this cost been calculated from?

The affect of more complex arrangements for flying and hence higher air fares plus the assumption that initially at least, the exchange rate of pound to the euro will fall off a cliff.

I would say both of those items are pretty likely if we vote leave.

Whether it should be factor in peoples voting when you should be looking at whats best for the long term of this country is another story.

Personally I think in the long wrong we would be better out of EU if its done correctly.

So long as the grants,subsidies and investments which currently come from the EU is set at the same levels and we have a competent government to negotiate the trade contracts etc.

But this is where I think we will struggle. It will be too easy for a government to say "Oh we have 3 billion saved from E which used to come back to us in grants and subsidies but its better spent on the NHS so lets drop that, as its not important". I can see farmers getting their subsidies eroded or removed over the years.

And a lot of the things people are against and see as a reason to leave the EU, wouldn't change if we did. A lot of the trade rules and laws that people hate now would be probably have to remain as condition of us having access to the EU market.

Case in point I heard several fishermen being interviewed and its seems almost all the fishing industry will be voting leave. The reason being is they state it will mean we get our sovereign waters back and we can make it so only uk fishermen can fish in them. I have a suspicion that in negotiating trade deals with other countries/EU that we will end up giving them the same fishing rights to our waters in return for something we need/want as its whats best for the country overall.

On immigration which seems to be a big concern of a lot of the exit voters, yes you can close our borders and introduce a system like Australia on points etc, patrol our waters but it will require a massive increase in personnel and admin and a very substantial cost. I suspect most of any savings from leaving the EU will be wiped out but all this extra cost anyway.

I just wish we could have a honest, sensible debate on the pros and cons on both sides without people lying or exaggerating. If its unknown what the affect of something is, which a lot of it is, then just say so.

Personally i think in the long, long term we might be better off out of the EU however in the short term, if we did leave, I think it would be a very, very painful few years

Last edited:
Soldato
In what sense is it not? Just because someone decides to vote for change does in no way make them a more intelligent and free thinker.

I did not say they were more intelligent. In fact I cautioned against that assumption.

So what does that leave us? An illogical argument on your part, because in order to advocate for change you must be thinking outside the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom