Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Interesting piece in the Guardian today about how the EU has been bad for the environment, how it's anti-innovation, and how most EU funding goes to projects not about renewables, the environment or innovation, but to projects focusing on "cultural", "social" and "co-operation", in other words furthering the integration of the EU into a single state.

Why British environmentalists should vote for Brexit

Soldato
I do find it slightly amusing how people are crying about how if we leave the EU, workers rights, women's rights, environmental laws, etc. are all going to immediately eroded overnight. It's not their fault that they don't understand the system, but using it as a reason to remain makes no sense.

Soldato
Interesting piece in the Guardian today about how the EU has been bad for the environment, how it's anti-innovation, and how most EU funding goes to projects not about renewables, the environment or innovation, but to projects focusing on "cultural", "social" and "co-operation", in other words furthering the integration of the EU into a single state.

Wow did not see that coming in the Guardian.

Soldato

Oh no, they're killing our environment! This looks like a job for Nationalism! It makes sense - implementing joint decisions that take into account that we Europeans share our water and air would be much less efficient than each country closing their borders and tackling the issues in isolation. :D

Caporegime

This is an utterly stupid objection. Horizon 2020 funds, among other things, the social sciences. Guess what keyword will come up on every bit of research on the social sciences? "Social". On top of that you have anything that discusses social networks, which picks up a bunch of technological projects.

These aren't projects aimed at "furthering the integration of the EU into a single state"; they're social sciences research.

Man of Honour

When you mean interesting, you mean its interesting that you fell for hyperbole.
EU dies far more in the green sector than we do, we dont even meet several EU targets, and on our own have little drive to improve things, we basically never go above or beyond EU mandates, unlike some other countries.

Soldato
Oh no, they're killing our environment! This looks like a job for Nationalism! It makes sense - implementing joint decisions that take into account that we Europeans share our water and air would be much less efficient than each country closing their borders and tackling the issues in isolation. :D

Yes every country that manages their own law is a right wing Nationalist state. Do you even believe what you type?

Soldato
When you mean interesting, you mean its interesting that you fell for hyperbole.
EU dies far more in the green sector than we do, we dont even meet several EU targets, and on our own have little drive to improve things, we basically never go above or beyond EU mandates, unlike some other countries.

Off the top of my head, for animal welfare I didn't think this was the case. I thought we routinely surpassed minimum EU standards, which has put our farmers at disadvantage. I imagine there are other areas, but I wouldn't ever suggest all.

Man of Honour
Off the top of my head, for animal welfare I didn't think this was the case. I thought we routinely surpassed minimum EU standards, which has put our farmers at disadvantage. I imagine there are other areas, but I wouldn't ever suggest all.

Its not the case for animal welfare but that's not environment,
We as a nation love our animals and are one if the much better countries.
When it comes to environment were the opposite, most of Europe is better.

The good thing with Europe is it drags everyone up.
So I think it's in a month or so the pig welfare finally comes inti force that raises the standard up to what the uk has been doing for years.

While many years ago a lot if iirc rivers were essentially dead and EU regulations forced us to clean up.
While we still don't comply with things like nox emissions.

If you care about the environment its a big plus to remain in EU. But obviously people with have many items on such a in/out list. But tor that article to suggest that using the "analysis" they did is just nonsense.

Soldato
I would like to see a poll of people who are going to vote remain but also would like to see the EU reformed.

I don't really want to leave the EU but I don't see any way that it can be reformed either. Still undecided as to how to proceed.

There seems to be an underlying feeling from younger voters that democracy is not that valued anymore and that it is probably dangerous and unstable. I think a pacifist oligarchy dictatorship is actually what the YouTube generation want.

Man of Honour
I would like to see a poll of people who are going to vote remain but also would like to see the EU reformed.

I don't really want to leave the EU but I don't see any way that it can be reformed either. Still undecided as to how to proceed.

There seems to be an underlying feeling from younger voters that democracy is not that valued anymore and that it is probably dangerous and unstable. I think a pacifist oligarchy dictatorship is actually what the YouTube generation want.

It's the younger generation that are overwhelmingly voting remain.
Reform is slow and will happen, EU isn't the same as it was 10years ago and wing be the same in 10years as it is now.
Any fast change is almost never a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom