Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Which countries use TB vaccination?

As far as I'm aware the evidence for TB vaccination in cattle being effective is poor, the vaccine has been around since 1911 and we chose not to use it before we ever joined the EU, and - in any case - we wouldn't be able to use TB vaccination for as long as we want to continue trading with the EU anyway so it's very doubtful the UK would actually adopt it if we left the EU.

Your not saying Chris Wilson is talking out of his uninformed arse again are you? What a shocker

Soldato
The affect of more complex arrangements for flying and hence higher air fares plus the assumption that initially at least, the exchange rate of pound to the euro will fall off a cliff.

I would say both of those items are pretty likely if we vote leave.

Whether it should be factor in peoples voting when you should be looking at whats best for the long term of this country is another story.

"Complex arrangements"? Things like landing fees, airport taxes, etc.? I didn't think they were affected by the EU anyway.

Associate
I think / correct me if wrong but the government can no longer campaign for remain as it's in the final stages. Hopefully leave will climb back now.

That was the plan but they have just said on tv nothing much will change once purdah starts the end of this week.
Cameron has said it makes no difference as all the work by the civil service has already been done and the doom mongering can carry on as normal.
Makes no difference anyway as Remain have it in the bag by a million miles.

Soldato
Still OUT for me - I see no reason not to give it a try, surely if it all goes **** up, then we can simply come back - in a simplified way of looking at it (rose tinted specs, whatever)? Certainly if the EU falling to bits is to be believed, then I'm sure they'll want us back.

For me, the IN campaign is a little too condescending – there’s lots posted about doom and gloom, lots of random ‘celebs’ coming out to speak in favour of remaining; it just seems a little too try hard, and a bit iffy.

This is my first time of ever voting, for anything, and I think ‘why not’.

Man of Honour
There's purdah - which means in the run up to an election, civil servants aren't allowed to work on things relating to that election. Government ministers are still able to campaign naturally though. Not sure if purdah has happened yet.

Purdah starts on 27th May and the link will tell you a bit more about what is or isn't allowed during that period (source).

Associate
Purdah starts on 27th May and the link will tell you a bit more about what is or isn't allowed during that period (source).

According to the BBC today purdah is largely going to be ignored as little can be done about it.
Cameron is of the opinion that it's only a convention rather than a rule.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Your not saying Chris Wilson is talking out of his uninformed arse again are you? What a shocker

LOL, you just concentrate on finding housing for your beloved migrants, and explaining to the good folk of Lincolnshire how marvellous they are for the future of the county, its infrastructure and cohesion ;)

Do you have cattle? Have ever had TB testing done? Have you ever engaged your veterinarians in conversation about TB inoculation worldwide, and its pros and cons? I can tick all those boxes.

Soldato
Come one, Zethor, we're all ears. Can't wait to hear about all your degrees and the billy big balls job you've been heavily implying you have.

Ok ok. I'm a Polish plumber with good Google skills.. during weekdays. During weekends, I put the bawl-cut wig on and supress my emotions.

Stop asking daft questions, we're on the internet, I could make any claim and you wouldn't have a clue re its veracity.

Soldato
A lot of the trade rules and laws that people hate now would be probably have to remain as condition of us having access to the EU market.

We don't need a deal to have access to the EU market. Lots of countries import/export from the EU without one. We'd just pay more in charges and tariffs, which might encourage more UK manufacturing or importing/exporting with other parts of the world, a lot of which is kept out by the EU in order to protect subsidised EU industries.

Permabanned
Stop asking daft questions, we're on the internet, I could make any claim and you wouldn't have a clue re its veracity.

An odd remark from someone who spends an inordinate amount of time challenging claims on here, and testing their veracity, on a daily basis.... ;)

Anyway, about my leaking soil pipe, would you mind giving a bit of free advice...?

Associate
Ok ok. I'm a Polish plumber with good Google skills.. during weekdays. During weekends, I put the bawl-cut wig on and supress my emotions.

I'm guessing people were hoping for a bit more integrity and honesty from someone who wanted to insult everyone else and pose his arguments based on himself being better. Can still sit around calling everyone racist and xenophobes and painting nasty pictures but not able to count your chickens I suppose. Ah well, at this point your level of evasiveness would put any answers credibility into question I suppose.

Soldato

As suspected, 6th-former educated on Russell Brand videos.

Man of Honour
"Complex arrangements"? Things like landing fees, airport taxes, etc.? I didn't think they were affected by the EU anyway.

The EU affects the way airlines operate quite heavily. International Aviation is a bizarrely run and quite protectionist affair - generally, an airline is only allowed to operate flights too and from it's country of origin with a few key exceptions (ie, a stopover on route to a final destination).

This is why British Airways for example is legally prevented from operating a flight from, say, Cape Town to Toronto.

The EU changes this by allowing all of it's member states to be counted as one 'area' for the purposes of these rules. So, Easyjet can fly London to anywhere, but also EU to anywhere, or anywhere to where within the EU.

Presumably the argument about higher air travel costs relate to the fact that quite a lot of the routes currently operated - which contribute to overall margin - would be illegal and would have to stop, or would need to involve setting up entirely new subsidiary companies within the EU.

For example Norwegian's flights from Gatwick to North America can only operate as a result of the EU.

I'm sure the rebuttal will be 'well we'll just agree something!!111' but nobody else in the world has done that...

Caporegime
Spot on Fox.

And anybody who doesnt think that it won't mean we will have more expensive flights and holidays for years to come is living in cloud ****oo land.

But like i said earlier, whether your annual holidays is going to cost a lot more money should NOT be your overriding factor in making a decision whether to stay or leave the EU.

There are going to be pluses and minuses on both sides whether we stay or leave.

Which you think is best for yourself and the country is the difficult one.

I suspect the vote will come down to the "common" person based on immigration and whether their booze, fags and holidays will be more expensive.

Soldato

You would have been taken at face value but instead you chose to dodge the question, which actually says a lot more about you...

Man of Honour
OP
But like i said earlier, whether your annual holidays is going to cost a lot more money should NOT be your overriding factor in making a decision whether to stay or leave the EU.

Perhaps it shouldn't but it well could be. Let's not assume that people will make a choice based on personal and family impacts. People care about issues that affect them and are generally apathetic about the ones who don't.

It's one of the reasons that I'm so apathetic about the whole sovereignty issue. It's hard to see how that affects me specifically.

If people go on lots of european holidays then this really could affect their lives and that matters.

Caporegime
So long as the grants,subsidies and investments which currently come from the EU is set at the same levels and we have a competent government to negotiate the trade contracts etc.
One of the big concerns; absolutely no reason to trust the government to divert money - money that they already choose not too (because someone else is paying) - to these areas. Their past record would give us reason to believe quite the opposite, lets face it.

Case in point I heard several fishermen being interviewed and its seems almost all the fishing industry will be voting leave. The reason being is they state it will mean we get our sovereign waters back and we can make it so only uk fishermen can fish in them. I have a suspicion that in negotiating trade deals with other countries/EU that we will end up giving them the same fishing rights to our waters in return for something we need/want as its whats best for the country overall.
I wouldn't trust the government to get a good deal here, either because they can use it to soften up something else we want more, or because they simply don't have any interest.

On immigration which seems to be a big concern of a lot of the exit voters, yes you can close our borders and introduce a system like Australia on points etc, patrol our waters but it will require a massive increase in personnel and admin and a very substantial cost. I suspect most of any savings from leaving the EU will be wiped out but all this extra cost anyway.
What savings exactly? The cost of membership is a token compared to what we get from trade. Which we would obviously still do well from in the event of an exit, I'm just trying to say that the cost of membership is basically irrelevant.

I just wish we could have a honest, sensible debate on the pros and cons on both sides without people lying or exaggerating. If its unknown what the affect of something is, which a lot of it is, then just say so.
The problem is, when pointing out that something is "unknown", you just get shot down with the usual boring "oh its project fear again", yada yada yada.

Personally i think in the long, long term we might be better off out of the EU however in the short term, if we did leave, I think it would be a very, very painful few years
I'm on the fence, in that I don't know, rather than I can't decide. And I suspect anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Haven't a clue, but I don't for a second think that the UK couldn't thrive outside of the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom