Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
In the example given - Norwegian hubbing at Gatwick - Norway isn't a member state of the EU.

No, but it is party to large parts of the EU including, but not limited to, free movement and the EU has always sought to bring Norway in as a full member. The UK, if it abandons the EU, will be negotiating from a very different position. It is foolish to think that we will find it trivial to renegotiate all the benefits we're currently enjoying as part of the EU.

Caporegime
No, but it is party to large parts of the EU including, but not limited to, free movement and the EU has always sought to bring Norway in as a full member. The UK, if it abandons the EU, will be negotiating from a very different position. It is foolish to think that we will find it trivial to renegotiate all the benefits we're currently enjoying as part of the EU.

Agree with the bold bit - if we Leave the EU then we'll be negotiating from a position of strength as the bold, independent sovereign nation that we used to be.

I wouldn't suggest any Brexit negotiation would be trivial, but neither will it be impossible. The EU gets considerable benefits from Britain as well.

Caporegime
Agree with the bold bit - if we Leave the EU then we'll be negotiating from a position of strength as the bold, independent sovereign nation that we used to be.

Ha! The UK will be negotiating from a very weak position with an EU that needs to sell whatever deal it makes to 27 different nations and their democratically elected governments. I wouldn't be surprised if we see several veto threats from EU nations determined to get their particular special interest approved and our negotiating position will only get worse as the two year deadline approaches.

I wouldn't suggest any Brexit negotiation would be trivial, but neither will it be impossible. The EU gets considerable benefits from Britain as well.

Indeed but we're already getting a good deal in the EU; it's very doubtful we'll negotiate anything that's better than what we get now.

Caporegime
Ha! The UK will be negotiating from a very weak position with an EU that needs to sell whatever deal it makes to 27 different nations and their democratically elected governments. I wouldn't be surprised if we see several veto threats from EU nations determined to get their particular special interest approved and our negotiating position will only get worse as the two year deadline approaches.

Indeed but we're already getting a good deal in the EU; it's very doubtful we'll negotiate anything that's better than what we get now.

Utter nonsense - Dave's 'thin gruel' deal is evidence of how weak we are in the EU. We've given away all our influence and even the threat of a referendum wasn't enough to get the fundamental reform we were promised. The only way we can become a strong, influential nation again is take back our sovereignty from the EU and learn again how to govern ourselves.

Soldato

How is any deal where we let other countries decide our laws a good deal? No one voted for this and no one would vote to join it if we weren't already a part of it

Caporegime
i thought France and most of the EU refused to buy British beef anyway because of mad cows disease.

I thought the EU overturned that years ago?

It was a bit funny considering France had problems with mad cow disease at that Ike, whereas the Uk didn't...

http://www.iatp.org/news/french-ban-on-uk-beef-violates-eu-law-european-high-court-says

France's decision to ban British beef because of concerns over mad cow disease is illegal and should be overturned, stated a Sept. 20 preliminary ruling from the European Court of Justice.

Although that is from 2001

Last edited:
Caporegime
It was overturned eventually, but I don't know if the market for British beef ever returned to what it was previously, I suspect it probably has now given the amount of time that has passed.

We do export to France, but I don't think it's as much as we used to:

CVNY2ilW4AE9Gea_zpsvm6gswn1.png

Caporegime
Utter nonsense - Dave's 'thin gruel' deal is evidence of how weak we are in the EU. We've given away all our influence and even the threat of a referendum wasn't enough to get the fundamental reform we were promised. The only way we can become a strong, influential nation again is take back our sovereignty from the EU and learn again how to govern ourselves.

This thread really is feeling like Groundhog day.

As before: Dave's inability to negotiate in Europe reflects nothing but his own incompetence, and the idea that a threat of a referendum improved our negotiating position is laughable. Do you really think "taking our ball and going home" is a strong negotiating position? "Give us what we want and we might stay"? Come on.

Man of Honour
luls people debating as if it's going to sway the outcome :p

If only the insane drive to be the most correct on forums translated to people actually participating in the voting. Perhaps ocuk should be compulsory?

Caporegime
This thread really is feeling like Groundhog day.

As before: Dave's inability to negotiate in Europe reflects nothing but his own incompetence, and the idea that a threat of a referendum improved our negotiating position is laughable. Do you really think "taking our ball and going home" is a strong negotiating position? "Give us what we want and we might stay"? Come on.

Why do you insist on trivialising these things? Wanting to be a strong, independent, sovereign nation again isn't the equivalent of 'taking our ball home'. We have so many common interests and are so closely aligned that I just can't believe that getting a good deal for both the UK and EU isn't possible.

Caporegime
Cameron came to my work today. Gave a speech. 30 minutes of basically repeating the same thing over and over. If I had a pound for every time he mentioned the terrorists and £200 more to go on holiday I could retire and not worry either way which way the vote went.

Caporegime
The remain campaign has been dreadful. It's tough to sell the status quo but they aren't doing a good job.

And yet they're winning, and like the aftermath of the Scottish referendum, all these things that they're promising will not come to fruition once we're locked into subservience to Brussels.

Soldato
Cameron came to my work today. Gave a speech. 30 minutes of basically repeating the same thing over and over. If I had a pound for every time he mentioned the terrorists and £200 more to go on holiday I could retire and not worry either way which way the vote went.

It's election social science, watch an American debate, they repeat key phrases and words over and over basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom