Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Don't we already have NATO for that? Ironically chronic lack of spending on Defence budgets amongst EU states is now putting that alliance at risk as the US are getting fed up with paying for defending Europe. If it ever did kick off with Russia (God forbid), my hope would be that the UK would be on the same side as the US.

You might have me on block, but I've tried to explain this about five times now. Either read up on it and get your facts right or stop banging the drum needlessly

Soldato
Don't we already have NATO for that? Ironically chronic lack of spending on Defence budgets amongst EU states is now putting that alliance at risk as the US are getting fed up with paying for defending Europe. If it ever did kick off with Russia (God forbid), my hope would be that the UK would be on the same side as the US.

The USA defends Europe??

Soldato
Not quite, border control is obviously a big part of this referendum, or at least the ability to decide it. The gov could place us in EEA, or outside or it, or strike a new deal with the EU.

The thing is... the deals on the table are the EU or the EEA. If we start talking about a new deal were talking what ifs. That's not what this is about. The referendum is in or out of the EU. Not about if we leave Europe entirely.

If we leave, we will join the EEA the millisecond after. The rest is moot.

Ergo border control control is not part of the discussion... at least it shouldn't be. It is because it's party political, which is ****.

Last edited:
Associate
Through all of this talk about staying in or leaving, one of the things (though there are many more) that has deterred me from wanting to stay in, has been the future of the Eurozone. It has been said that the EU and the Euro are two separate things and whilst I accept that in principal, I can not get away from the fact that the Euro was created by the EU.

Now my concern is that should the Euro collapse (and lets be honest, it isn't likely going to survive), and we are in the EU, then we are going to be hit hard. The in camp have been very clear that we would be worse off outside the EU, yet how much is just speculation and most agree it would be a relative short term hit. I have yet to note anyone asking questions about the long term effects of staying in the EU, should the Euro fail. I understand that we would be affected either way, whether we are in or out, but surely we would be less worse off if we were out if the Euro fails? Project fear has failed to give us a long term understanding of how bad a situation like this we could be in if we stay in.

Does anyone have an informed opinion on if/how it would effect us if we stayed in and the Euro collapses?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...and-the-euro-this-is-a-marriage-made-in-hell/

Associate
I personally think that the EU will put huge trade tariffs on us as punishment for leaving the EU and to be a deterrent for any other countries thinking of doing the same.

That is really unlikely. Such an action would be counter to World Trade Organization rules, which all nations will remain signed up to. The WTO has the power to impose fines on an offending party. Such an action would also harm the economies remaining in the EU: Tariffs can harm domestic producers by increasing the price of goods and services they require for their production process from the country subject to the tariff. Such an action would also send a harmful signal for future trade deals between the EU and other non-EU countries. If the EU were to act in such a belligerent way, it will not foster good relations. Then, of course, the remaining 26 member states would have to actually agree to impose a tariff on this kind in the first place: Getting that lot to agree on anything is quite a trick. TLDR: It won't happen.

Man of Honour
That is really unlikely. Such an action would be counter to World Trade Organization rules, which all nations will remain signed up to. The WTO has the power to impose fines on an offending party. Such an action would also harm the economies remaining in the EU: Tariffs can harm domestic producers by increasing the price of goods and services they require for their production process from the country subject to the tariff. Such an action would also send a harmful signal for future trade deals between the EU and other non-EU countries. If the EU were to act in such a belligerent way, it will not foster good relations. Then, of course, the remaining 26 member states would have to actually agree to impose a tariff on this kind in the first place: Getting that lot to agree on anything is quite a trick. TLDR: It won't happen.

That wouldn't happen, they'll just do what they've done to other countries, welcome back everything the leave campaign wants to get out off and with no say. They'll imposes free movement, human rights and pay into EU.
Uk will then have to take it or lose free trade. And as such leave Campaign not only totally fails but screws us over.

Soldato
Very much in. Sure the whole EU setup has its flaws but overall I like the system and as with the Scottish referendum most of the noise is coming from people who want out and have no real reason to do so other than they hate immigrants.

TAKE ARE COUNTRY BACK AND CLOSE ARE BORDERS

*foams at the mouth*

Associate
I don't care about a few premiums to my mobile phone bill. 1% on a new car so long as we have our independence back.

As mentioned earlier this is not about economics for me, it's about self control. It's for the UK people to have at least some control on choosing their direction and heads of state.

Can't believe so many remainders want to relinquish this.

Soldato
How do you know we will have more control if there's a Brexit? What about if, for example, we join the EEA... and in doing so have to abide by all the single market rules we do now... but rather than having a say as we do now, we'd instead have no say. Right now we help shape those rules... but if we instead joined the EEA we wouldn't.

And the EU/Brexit stuff makes no difference to our head of state... our Head of State is the Queen, and will continue to be so regardless of what happens with the EU. Did you mean to spack about 'unelected bureaucrats :mad:'? You want 'some control on choosing our direction'... we do, we have a lot of control in or out of the EU.

WTF has the Queen go to do with politics???????

n3Vix30.gif.png

Soldato
I don't care about a few premiums to my mobile phone bill. 1% on a new car so long as we have our independence back.

As mentioned earlier this is not about economics for me, it's about self control. It's for the UK people to have at least some control on choosing their direction and heads of state.

How can we relinquish something we don't have and realistically need?

How and why do geographical borders determine the validity of political opinion?

Soldato

Hmm last time I checked the head of state is the Queen. Don't remember anyone ever choosing her and we pretty much know who will be next. Even if we say that PM is the head of state, people do not vote for who will the PM be.

And remind me how did it work for the 12.6% of UKIP voters against 4.7% voters of SNP? That's right the 12% got 1 seat in the parliament and 5% got 56 seats.

While I understand where you coming from the political system in this country doesn't work the way you want it to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if srs. Are you a Brexit supporter? If so, you probably are. if not, you're trying to do a funny.

I don't support anything or anyone, I just see what I see.
It might be a little autism in me as I see and hear everything and find it difficult to listen in social gatherings etc.

But I see what the EU is and its not good news at all.

The queen has no power at all over parliament only the capacity to dissolve on the request of the people.

Then it goes back to government and a vote. The queen is a useless benefit scrounger just like her off spring.

You vote in we are totally screwed period. Vote out at least we will have a fighting chance of some sort of control and integrity.

Soldato
wow @ the lengths the remain campaign is going to spreading its very misinformative and clearly deceitful tosh! It's everywhere. Disgraceful really.

Interestingly yet to meet one remain backer who honestly believes Europe will proceed to reform and recover if we were to stay. Yet still keen to vote! Go figure. Worlds gone mad.

Soldato
I don't support anything or anyone, I just see what I see.
It might be a little autism in me as I see and hear everything and find it difficult to listen in social gatherings etc.

But I see what the EU is and its not good news at all.

The queen has no power at all over parliament only the capacity to dissolve on the request of the people.

Then it goes back to government and a vote. The queen is a useless benefit scrounger just like her off spring.

You vote in we are totally screwed period. Vote out at least we will have a fighting chance of some sort of control and integrity.

See and perceive aren't the same thing. This situation is a big risk either way, and the general masses aren't in any position to have their opinions weighted equally in a vote.

We don't really live in a democracy, we never really have, but for a good reason.

Soldato
wow @ the lengths the remain campaign is going to spreading its very misinformative and clearly deceitful tosh! It's everywhere. Disgraceful really.

Interestingly yet to meet one remain backer who honestly believes Europe will proceed to reform and recover if we were to stay. Yet still keen to vote! Go figure. Worlds gone mad.

Beware positive reinforcement (and negative bias).

The EU needs the UK to act as a counter to the protectionist instincts of much of mainland Europe so it's wrong to say we don't effect Europe, we do, have and will.

Will the rest of Europe adopt UK attitudes to mercantile free trade? No, it's a cultural thing, but I think a union of different ideas is better than separate entities edging towards their extremes.

Think how a conservative/lib dem coalition was far better in terms of new ideas than a conservative majority or a labour majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom