Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
To be fair to the Guardian, after our general election last year I don't think anyone is putting too much faith in opinion polls any more. It probably plays to Leave's advantage to keep reports like that quiet too.

Soldato
ah yes, polls and statistics.......

Just think, if the actual results were 30/70 in brexits favour, but the media spun it in the reverse, many people blindly jump on the bandwagon.

Hey, the majority can't be wrong!

Caporegime
What election fraud was this?

There are ongoing investigations by a number of police forces and the Electoral Commission into allegations uncovered by Channel 4 news of fraud in the Conservative Party's election expenses. Basically the Tories wheeled out all their big guns in key constituencies, including South Thanet where Farage was a candidate, and declared it as national campaign spending instead of local campaign spending as it should have been. There's a limit on what you can spend on local campaigns and this extra spending would have completely breached that cap. Nothing will happen though.

Soldato
EU's European Commission enlists help of Big Tech to curb online 'hate speech'. Hmm, anyone else worried about this? What is the definition of hate speech, can it be interpreted for anything else other than the use it was intended for? Isn't our right to freedom of expression enshrined in the Human Rights Act?

European Convention on Human Rights Article 10

Article 10 – Freedom of expression 1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.
2. The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

Nate

Permabanned
There are ongoing investigations by a number of police forces and the Electoral Commission into allegations uncovered by Channel 4 news of fraud in the Conservative Party's election expenses. Basically the Tories wheeled out all their big guns in key constituencies, including South Thanet where Farage was a candidate, and declared it as national campaign spending instead of local campaign spending as it should have been. There's a limit on what you can spend on local campaigns and this extra spending would have completely breached that cap. Nothing will happen though.
It wasn't so much about the bigwigs as the fact that mrmbership at grass roots is at such a low ebb that they were short of envelope-stuffers and activists to do door-to-door stuff so they bussed a load of them around one target seat to the next, and then put their transport, hotel etc costs on national campaigning budgets when, as the work they were doing was directly for local candidates election, it should have been charged to constituency budgets which would have blown through legal spending limits if it had been. Allegedly.

In other words, buying seats by illegally outspending other candidates.

What happens remains to be seen, though. If such spending puts in doubt the validity of the election outcome in anumber of seats, that might invalidate that result, requiring a by-election. Given the small Tory majority, that might even put their overall majority in doubt.

It might come down to factors like the size of the majority of the winning candidates in the questionable seats. A majority of 100 might be down to campaigning, but a majority of 15000 probably isn't. Then again, that's not the kind of seat they targeted.

Associate
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/eu-referendum

Now there's a real entrepreneur with some conviction around what he believes.

No doubt many of the remainers will rubbish this as it hasn't come from an "official" organisation like the IMF.

They had the boss of Wetherspoons on the BBC and the reporter attempting to convince the listeners how they were totally reliant on EU workers asked him how many they had working in the company.
When he said around 5% of 35,000 the reporter changed the subject

Last edited:
Permabanned
So another thing I keep hearing is "all that bloody money we spend on the EU, could be spent on something useful like education, health" etc.

Whilst this is great in idea... Do people really trust the government to do that. Why hasn't the government made that happened before? What gurantee do we have that if we leave the extra money we have will go to education and health. Id be FAR more likely to vote leave if there was a promise that all this funding would go to these... But honestly I think if we left the money would be directed into the pockets of someone.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Try watching Brexit the movie then.

eu is an evil empire

Lol I watched 5 min of that had had to turn it off. To be honest I didn't even want to give it that much time as it was shared via facebook saying 'youtube has removed the link due to terms and conditions so lets share it on facebook'.

If they are gonna lie before the video even starts then I don't really want to give it my time.

Soldato
So another thing I keep hearing is "all that bloody money we spend on the EU, could be spent on something useful like education, health" etc.

Whilst this is great in idea... Do people really trust the government to do that. Why hasn't the government made that happened before? What gurantee do we have that if we leave the extra money we have will go to education and health. Id be FAR more likely to vote leave if there was a promise that all this funding would go to these... But honestly I think if we left the money would be directed into the pockets of someone.

Are you under the impression that the EU is some kind of not-for-profit organisation run by left-wing hippies who don't take a wage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom