Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No she is not a refugee :D All non EU spouses can travel with their EU other half to any EU country and the visa is free and processed at priority.

https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2007/04/15/requirements-for-a-short-stay-visa-family-of-eu-citizen/

Well, stop talking smack then :p, you know full well that refugees who claim asylum have their movement restricted, here and in the EU. It has always been so. You'd be talking of family reunion in their specific case: https://www.gov.uk/settlement-refugee-or-humanitarian-protection/family-reunion.

Other countries have similar humanitarian clauses. But even that's not unconditional.

And ordinary non-EU spousal rules have been tightened up via income requirements, etc. This is a non-issue, especially after the crack down on sham marriages in the new immigration bill, which I'm sure you can peruse at your leisure.

Soldato
Well, stop talking smack then :p, you know full well that refugees who claim asylum have their movement restricted, here and in the EU. It has always been so. You'd be talking of family reunion in their specific case: https://www.gov.uk/settlement-refugee-or-humanitarian-protection/family-reunion.

Other countries have similar humanitarian clauses. But even that's not unconditional.

And ordinary non-EU spousal rules have been tightened up via income requirements, etc. This is a non-issue, especially after the crack down on sham marriages in the new immigration bill, which I'm sure you can peruse at your leisure.

No, they are not, refugees are not forbidden to marry EU citizens. Non EU spouses of EU citizens can go to any other EU country free of charge, as my wife is doing with Finland.

The income requirements you talk of only applies to British citizens, I have been there done that and got the t-shirt. As I wanted to live in Britain with my wife as I am a British citizen I had to pass them. If I were a German citizen and wanted to relocate to Britain, her visa would be free like it is to Finland.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No, they are not, refugees are not forbidden to marry EU citizens.

Neither are non-refugees, legal residents of Argentina or people from Mongolia.

It's a complete red herring. I doubt millions of refugees are going to be marrying EU citizens.

Soldato
Remain a member of the European Union 37.64%
Leave the European Union 62.36%

Good to see the OcUK members not being taken in by the spergs and shills. :cool:

As with all previous threads, in couple of weeks it will be 45%-55%. I knew I should have posted a screenshot on Sunday when it was 50-50.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, they are not, refugees are not forbidden to marry EU citizens. Non EU spouses of EU citizens can go to any other EU country free of charge, as my wife is doing with Finland.

The income requirements you talk of only applies to British citizens, I have been there done that and got the t-shirt. As I wanted to live in Britain with my wife as I am a British citizen I had to pass them. If I were a German citizen, her visa would be free like it is to Finland.

No, marrying an EU citizen doesn't lift the conditions of asylum. If they obtain an EU passport, or you marry them before their claim is processed (in the camp, maybe), and can demonstrate it's not a sham marriage, then that's a different legal picture. As above, standard non-EU spouses are different.

More info:
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/files/swd_2014_284_en.pdf
http://europa.eu/pol/pdf/flipbook/en/migration_en.pdf

Comment from the Oxford Migration Observatory:
http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u...european-asylum-system-and-eu-immigration-law

Last edited:
Associate
Paranoid 'think of the children!' + use of buzzword in a vague manner = quick way to lose credibility :D
Funny that we saw the pro EU side using the think of the children argument then, the video posted earlier showed nick clegg be the one to say it's not just us but our future and our children. If it's a pro EU argument does it not have the same credibility loss because I think a more significant representative of the pro EU argument must have caused some considerable credibility loss if you stick to this flawed logic. Or maybe we don't have to debate on such slippery slope logic and baseless derision every time we want an excuse to invalidate others points :p If anything is losing credibility it's the constantly childish rhetoric of condascending insults, rise above it quicker please!

Last edited:
Soldato
As with all previous threads, in couple of weeks it will be 45%-55%. I knew I should have posted a screenshot on Sunday when it was 50-50.

Paging eager robfosters. :p They like reading signs in the tea leaves of the internet -- leave them to it. Out rushes in like a tide of mad clickers, then the sensible people come ;).

Soldato

It is not the think of the children part which discredits, it is the think of the children mixed with a vague use of a buzzword which in the end, does not raise any point.

It is perfectly acceptable to consider the future of our children but when it sounds like paranoid mumsnetters mixed with social club skinheads it all gets a bit weird.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29453908 said:
Neither are non-refugees, legal residents of Argentina or people from Mongolia.

It's a complete red herring. I doubt millions of refugees are going to be marrying EU citizens.

That's right, anyone in the whole world, Argentina, Mongolia, Syria ect can move to Britain free of charge because of EU law.

It's not a red herring at all, it's a fact. You doubt millions of refugees/economic migrants are marrying EU citizens, but I don't doubt thousands already have and will.

No, marrying an EU citizen doesn't lift the conditions of asylum. If they obtain an EU passport, or you marry them before their claim is processed (in the camp, maybe), and can demonstrate it's not a sham marriage, then that's a different legal picture. As above, standard non-EU spouses are different.

EU spouses travel to other EU countries for free, freedom of movement is a EU fundamental. As for demonstrate it's not a sham marriage? When does that happen, we didn't demonstrate a thing in the Finnish embassy when they gave out a year long multi entry schengen visa for free.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's right, anyone in the whole world, Argentina, Mongolia, Syria ect can move to Britain free of charge because of EU law.

It's not a red herring at all, it's a fact. You doubt millions of refugees/economic migrants are marrying EU citizens, but I don't doubt thousands already have and will.

Tell me, how will our 'new' restrictions on non-EU spouses go much beyond this: https://fullfact.org/europe/partner-visas-and-eu/. Non-EU migration and asylum is under the UK's sole remit. What will change upon Brexit in the EEA or under EFTA? There's nothing stopping May throwing out the ECHR entirely now, as it is, made very plain in her interventions on the referendum -- a shocking prospect but true.

Why is it tied to your dislike of the EU?

Soldato
Probably because most Polish people i meet can speaker better English than some of the chavs around here :p

Seriously though, I noticed you ignored datalol-jacks reply to you and decided to discuss what was clearly a satirical post. Tell me, why is that?

Also i find the article you linked funny. Apart from the quite obvious scare attempt, it mentions the sham marriages that ended up being permanent normal relationships where they even have kids. Sounds like a very expensive online dating service at that point lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Tell me, how will our 'new' restrictions on non-EU spouses go much beyond this: https://fullfact.org/europe/partner-visas-and-eu/. Non-EU migration and asylum is under the UK's sole remit. What will change upon Brexit in the EEA or under EFTA? There's nothing stopping May throwing out the ECHR entirely now, as it is, made very plain in her interventions on the referendum -- a shocking prospect but true.

The new £18,600 rule (which I passed for my wife) applies to British spouses. Me as a British citizen that wants to live in Britain with my non EU wife have to earn at least £18,600 to bring my wife to Britain (if I earned less, I would be denied a family life in Britain) and pay £1000 for a visa. However if I was a German citizen (or any other EU citizen for that matter) I could bring my non EU citizen wife to Britain for free and it doesn't matter if I only earn 18p a year, plus she can claim all benefits, whereas mine can not for 30 months.

Soldato
The new £18,600 rule (which I passed for my wife) applies to British spouses. Me as a British citizen that wants to live in Britain with my non EU wife have to earn at least £18,600 to bring my wife to Britain (if I earned less, I would be denied a family life in Britain) and pay £1000 for a visa. However if I was a German citizen (or any other EU citizen for that matter) I could bring my non EU citizen wife to Britain for free and it doesn't matter if I only earn 18p a year, plus she can claim all benefits, whereas mine can not for 30 months.

Keep typing, Tosno. What will change upon Brexit in the EEA or under EFTA? There's nothing stopping May throwing out the ECHR entirely now, as it is, made very plain in her interventions on the referendum -- a shocking prospect but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom