Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Perhaps because the plan for Brexit still appears to be formed in at least three separate heads, not written down or communicated with any clarity and in strong deviation from anything remotely official?

Much seems to hinge on the particular prejudices of the audience, and they're all things to all men. This obviously won't work. The undecided will ask for something more than: good luck, fair weather and crossed fingers. If this is not supplied, I'm not seeing a great outcome for Leave.

Whereas you of course have no prejudices, are completely objective, unbiased and are only posting for the good of the people and the planet? :o

I still need to reply to your freedom of movement post (which I will do in due course, busy few days) but I found your criticism of Danial Hannan quite funny, considering his "mental gymnastics" as you put it is pretty mild compared to some of the rhetoric coming out the remain campaign.

• On his taxes claim fullfact quote "Daniel Hannan's claim is therefore correct."
  • On his claim that Europe has shrunk as a percentage of the world total - your linked fullfact report confirms the "EU does make up a smaller share of global GDP than it did then."
  • On his hospitals quote they say he's overestimating the cost of an NHS hospital, not trying to make his claim sound better by under estimating (and yes I know you consider the EU's "material errors" in spending acceptable)
  • On his migration claim - yes you can delineate between Government policy and EU freedom of movement, but no doubt his response would be that current Government policy wouldn't be required (as they would likely say, anyway) if we could better control the numbers of EU people coming into the UK
Compare the above to the Government changing "directives" to "all laws" in their summary of the Norweigan EU study, and it's clear to see "mental gymnastics" are being deployed on both sides of the argument, and I would argue the remain camp are more guilty (i.e. blatant propaganda through the letterbox / Treasury "analysis").

Lastly, where confidence of a 'special deal' is present, ask for the Brexit premises of that confidence.

You and the rest of the we must remain camp seem to think that not being able to provide details/confidence of any new negotiation is a flaw so severe that leaving just isn't worth considering. A few points:

• You realise that risk-taking is the basis of all entrepreneurial success? If everyone just maintained the status quo because doing anything otherwise would just be too risky, we would never advance and progress would never be made
  • What does your deal with the EU look like in 10/20/30 years time? How many new countries will join? What will our net contribution look like over that timeframe? How can you guarantee we will never join Schengen? How can you guarantee we will be exempt from ever-closer union? Don't say "but we get to vote on those things" or "because Dave said so", that's a weak argument compared to a voter's ability to clearly say yes/no in the referendum.
It's all very well to criticise because we haven't negotiated and don't yet know the post Brexit deal, but a lot of Brexit supports don't care; they're much more concerned about the trajectory of the EU and what our relationship will be in years to come, which equally you can't provide details/confidence around. Add to that of course that a lot of Brexit supporters can envisage where the EU is heading, and don't like it.

Soldato
Whereas you of course have no prejudices, are completely objective, unbiased and are only posting for the good of the people and the planet? :o

I still need to reply to your freedom of movement post (which I will do in due course, busy few days) but I found your criticism of Danial Hannan quite funny, considering his "mental gymnastics" as you put it is pretty mild compared to some of the rhetoric coming out the remain campaign.

• On his taxes claim fullfact quote "Daniel Hannan's claim is therefore correct."
  • On his claim that Europe has shrunk as a percentage of the world total - your linked fullfact report confirms the "EU does make up a smaller share of global GDP than it did then."
  • On his hospitals quote they say he's overestimating the cost of an NHS hospital, not trying to make his claim sound better by under estimating (and yes I know you consider the EU's "material errors" in spending acceptable)
  • On his migration claim - yes you can delineate between Government policy and EU freedom of movement, but no doubt his response would be that current Government policy wouldn't be required (as they would likely say, anyway) if we could better control the numbers of EU people coming into the UK
Compare the above to the Government changing "directives" to "all laws" in their summary of the Norweigan EU study, and it's clear to see "mental gymnastics" are being deployed on both sides of the argument, and I would argue the remain camp are more guilty (i.e. blatant propaganda through the letterbox / Treasury "analysis").

My biases aren't Brexit's economic problems.

The people are free to read the full FullFact entries, Hannan in that regard is not different to any man of the establishment and the entries only begin to scratch the surface of what he is angling at. Most often, it's giving a vision without the cost presented based off a specific case that says something somewhat relevant, but not quite. As is the case with my hospitals clarification -- it really is irrelevant what he thinks we can extract 6, 10 billion or whatever the trendy gross figure is, or that he can roughly divide it up into a number of hospitals, nurses, whatever -- that's not how it works, he, I and you know this. But it makes for nice slogans.

Trouble is the costs of Brexit absorbing any advantages, and as I've said on several occasions, eating ideology is not an option. Particularly in the scenario of a bi-lateral deal.

You and the rest of the we must remain camp seem to think that not being able to provide details/confidence of any new negotiation is a flaw so severe that leaving just isn't worth considering. A few points:

• You realise that risk-taking is the basis of all entrepreneurial success? If everyone just maintained the status quo because doing anything otherwise would just be too risky, we would never advance and progress would never be made
  • What does your deal with the EU look like in 10/20/30 years time? How many new countries will join? What will our net contribution look like over that timeframe? How can you guarantee we will never join Schengen? How can you guarantee we will be exempt from ever-closer union? Don't say "but we get to vote on those things" or "because Dave said so", that's a weak argument compared to a voter's ability to clearly say yes/no in the referendum.
It's all very well to criticise because we haven't negotiated and don't yet know the post Brexit deal, but a lot of Brexit supports don't care; they're much more concerned about the trajectory of the EU and what our relationship will be in years to come, which equally you can't provide details/confidence around. Add to that of course that a lot of Brexit supporters can envisage where the EU is heading, and don't like it.

Yes, Mulder, that's of vital importance: details; any details. Saying 'had informal chats', 'a risk worth taking', 'poorer but in control' is not good enough. How big of a risk? How much would it cost? Whose control, where and at what level of accountability? What rights will I lose? Whom do I hold to account for the 'special deal'? Who's even going to write it? Cameron, Boris -- who?

The rest's just gunk.

You had the projections already, we know our veto powers, people are free to vote in very conservative governments which will keep blocking the most radical measures, including new EU members, deals, budgets, whatever.

But, for the most part, the trajectory of the EU based on actions of our sovereign future government seems to be the concern, and, alas, tis the same problem on Brexit: you can hardly guarantee a stable existence and 'land of milk and honey that gives power back to the people' on the same grounds. Sadly, you aren't big on discussing the risks, planning for them or giving them straight. I'm sure Vote Leave has people who can publish their own 'biased' projections full of 'complex mathematics'. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL wish I was smoking cos I'd like to have whatever you have

Well, that's the nub of it, isn't it? An entrepreneurial mentality, as Mulder loves to say, with the same disregard for risk, when in fact you are running a massive, stable corporation that needs steering through the rough.

I weep. This is like re-watching the Cummings performance against the select committee. Woeful, beyond woeful.

Soldato
My biases aren't Brexit's economic problems.

Nope, but you biases mean you put a lot of faith in either the official Government line or those with a vested interest, and ignore those presenting a view that says that economic problems are the remain camps.

The people are free to read the full FullFact entries, Hannan in that regard is not different to any man of the establishment and the entries only begin to scratch the surface of what he is angling at. Most often, it's giving a vision without the cost presented based off a specific case that says something somewhat relevant, but not quite. As is the case with my hospitals clarification -- it really is irrelevant what he thinks we can extract 6, 10 billion or whatever the trendy gross figure is, or that he can roughly divide it up into a number of hospitals, nurses, whatever -- that's not how it works, he, I and you know this. But it makes for nice slogans.

Funny how the style of your original Hannan post was very much "look at this, he's talking rubbish I tell you" but when challenged otherwise you accept it wasn't all that and that he's just as bad (less bad, in my opinion) than the Government you put so much faith into.

Trouble is the costs of Brexit absorbing any advantages, and as I've said on several occasions, eating ideology is not an option. Particularly in the scenario of a bi-lateral deal.

Brexit supporters would disagree and consider the costs of remaining in the EU over a 20/30/40+ year timeframe to likely far outweigh any short term costs leaving may incur.

Yes, Mulder, that's of vital importance: details; any details. Saying 'had informal chats', 'a risk worth taking', 'poorer but in control' is not good enough. How big of a risk? How much would it cost? Whose control, where and at what level of accountability? What rights will I lose? Whom do I hold to account for the 'special deal'? Who's even going to write it? Cameron, Boris -- who?

Answering my questions with questions now? Why don't you answer first: you continuously criticise Brexit for having no agreed deal, so what's your deal for the next 10/20/30+ years? How many new countries will join? How can you be so sure Turkey won't? What will our net contribution look like over that timeframe? How can you guarantee we will never join Schengen? How can you guarantee we will be exempt from ever-closer union? What happens if the Euro collapses? When will we next get a referendum?

The rest's just gunk.

Nice.

You had the projections already, we know our veto powers, people are free to vote in very conservative governments which will keep blocking the most radical measures, including new EU members, deals, budgets, whatever.

This is the first direct vote we have on the EU for over 40 years. Since then the people have never had a say on any of the new countries joining, the new treaties, the increasing powers, the continuous erosion of national sovereignty. Your promise of "but the Government wouldn't allow that" is weak and provably wrong, like the Single European Act which was rushed through Parliament late at night with little debate.

But, for the most part, the trajectory of the EU based on actions of our sovereign future government seems to be the concern, and, alas, tis the same problem on Brexit: you can hardly guarantee a stable existence and 'land of milk and honey that gives power back to the people' on the same grounds. Sadly, you aren't big on discussing the risks, planning for them or giving them straight. I'm sure Vote Leave has people who can publish their own 'biased' projections full of 'complex mathematics'. :p

Wrong. The track record and very likely trajectory of the EU "project" is the concern. Do you even pretend that the plan isn't for further and further integration towards a superstate? Or are you a supporter of said aim?

Well, that's the nub of it, isn't it? An entrepreneurial mentality, as Mulder loves to say, with the same disregard for risk, when in fact you are running a massive, stable corporation that needs steering through the rough. I weep. This is like re-watching the Cummings performance against the select committee. Woeful, beyond woeful.

You weep? Come on datalol, relax. ;)

This is a 50/50 vote, stop trying to pretend that one option is the entirely safe choice and the other is so risky it's not even worth considering. Your inability to debate the issue without shouting all the time "but you've got no deal!" just won't ring true with those veering toward leave. They already know what the deal is, it's the one we've got right now, and they don't like it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Voting to remain in the EU now is not a 20 40 100 year commitment.
Any UK government has the right to leave the EU any time it pleases.

Caporegime
Don’t tell me, it will be super mega impossible to leave and rejoin in the future?

I think it would be a mistake to assume it would be trivial to get back in; remember that it took us 12 years to join the first time around. It's also highly unlikely that we would be able to renegotiate all of the special deals and opt-outs that we currently have.

Soldato
The EU is not "about" to join the EU for any commonly understood version of the word "about".

?

I assume you mean Turkey. The first stage of them joining kicks in in June when their border is opened with mainland Europe. The EU are also handing over £2.4bn. It is certainly a matter of when they not if.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I assume you mean Turkey.

I do. Brainfart fixed.

The first stage of them joining kicks in in June when their border is opened with mainland Europe.

Their border is not being opened, this is a total misrepresentation. They are getting visa-free travel in the Shengen area. Visa-free travel is a completely different thing to an "open border". The UK, for example, has visa-free travel for visitors from countries such as Brazil, Tongo and Namibia.

The EU are also handing over £2.4bn. It is certainly a matter of when they not if.

In order to join the EU, Turkey must fulfil the Copenhagen Criteria (of which it currently meets 1 out of 31 criteria) and it must negotiate a settlement with Greece over Cyprus and then, and only then, it must pass a unanimous vote of the current members. There is no realistic prospect of this happening on any time frame that qualifies as "about to happen".

Caporegime
One way to look st this is if we stay its very unlikley we get another chance to leave unless there's some major **** up/the eu starts to disintergrate for other reasons.

However if we leave and it doesnt work out reapplying will be very easy.

So it may be worth it to risk it and know we can always return to the status quo if needed

Caporegime
I do. Brainfart fixed.

Their border is not being opened, this is a total misrepresentation. They are getting visa-free travel in the Shengen area. Visa-free travel is a completely different thing to an "open border". The UK, for example, has visa-free travel for visitors from countries such as Brazil, Tongo and Namibia.

In order to join the EU, Turkey must fulfil the Copenhagen Criteria (of which it currently meets 1 out of 31 criteria) and it must negotiate a settlement with Greece over Cyprus and then, and only then, it must pass a unanimous vote of the current members. There is no realistic prospect of this happening on any time frame that qualifies as "about to happen".

We're giving them billions in order for them to meet those criterua though.

No countries MEPs has stated they wouldn't approve them either iirc.

So i think its a safe bet that if the uk remains then they will be members within the next 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom