Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
IN.

I'm all for the United States of Europe and firmly believe we need to integrate more with Europe, not less.

I WE are Europeans and I don't want that to change. People want England / UK / GB to return to its former place in the world and that is no longer an option.

The world has changed and we need to change with it.

Yes, the EU has its faults but it's still young and like any child you take care of it and nurture it, not abandon it and go back to the single life where everything was great and you were free to do whatever you like /s :rolleyes:

So bizarre so must be trolling, I mean really who calls themselves a European, nobody I know.

Caporegime
Thread contributors left in shock as opinions differing to those held by people in their immediate vicinity are unearthed.

Soldato
Wow, just Wow.

I class myself as British NOT european. Never will.

The world has changed but the eu is just a communist state with unelected morons wasting our money & ruining our lives.

The eu is not a child, it's an old outdated dinosaur that needs putting down.

I cannot believe you blindly voting to stay.

Who said I was blindly voting? I've read numerous articles, watched countless debates and still come to the conclusion that I want to stay in.

So bizarre so must be trolling, I mean really who calls themselves a European, nobody I know.

Nope, no trolling here; I just have a different opinion than yours and that must mean I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Plenty of people call themselves European. Having blind allegiance to a country just because you were born in it is idiotic.

Nationalism / Patriotism is an outdated concept and segregates people.

Caporegime
I call myself European and Europe my home and where I want to return to after my stint in the US. I'm to obsessed where exactly i want to return to Europe, anywhere close to the alps. Almost certainly I wont return to Britain.

I never understood patriotism. How can you be proud about where you were born when you had absolutely no input in to that? I have a friend who was born in Bagdad so is technically an Iraqi. His father was just fishing a contract there and is mother was over for a last minute holiday before they went back to Canada, she ended up delivery 5 weeks early and thus they have an Iraqi son, who as raised in Canada by polish immigrants and can speak perfect Polish. He has isn't lived in Canada for 15 years now and is getting Swiss Citizenship. Yet some hope he is supposed to be a proud Iraqi because that is where he was born?

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it - George Bernard Shaw

Soldato
Brilliant, it sounds all lovely but the reality is up and down the country, services are under pressure.

Vote Labour then and public spending might go up if enough people bothered by "low" public spending do so it will change, it's, as you say, got nowt to do with immigrants.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You do realise (probably not though) that over 50% of the population are net takers from the economy, are they all from ****less families and single parents? :rolleyes:

You mean treasury not economy. Almost everyone is a net benefit to the economy - notable exceptions include some parts of the banking sector and some people who are long term sick, disabled or mentally ill. Even on the level of comparing tax receipts to service use, the simplistic arithmetic of subtracting tax receipts from service costs fails to properly assess people's contribution to the country because the wider economic contribution generates tax at other points of the chain - for example through generating profits (corporation tax) or sales (VAT and various duties).

Soldato
The world has changed but the eu is just a communist state with unelected morons wasting our money & ruining our lives.

Which 'unelected' morons make law making decisions in Europe, out of interest? As far as I'm aware the euro comm doesn't make laws, it makes proposals that are then enacted (or not) by elected MEPs.

Also, please explain how the EU is 'ruining your life'!

Soldato
Wow, just Wow.

I class myself as British NOT european. Never will.

Good for you, shock horror as other people think differently

Lol....the EU is a communist state?.....just absolute LOL

I'm so glad this guy is on your side of the debate Brexiteers, as this is the sort of posting that is just embarrassing to be sided with :p

Caporegime
There are entirely logical reasons for being especially against being called European as a Brit.

For the better part of half a millennium we have been at odds with Catholicism in Europe, such that we have plowed many man into many other manly mans from the Catholic armies of European states.

While nostalgia is stupid, especially beyond our realm of being present during that time, its not unfathomable to react badly to Europe as typically we've been badly treated for quite awhile (though once Britain basically ruled most of the planet, it was probably the other way around).

I think for the most part, the result of that rivalry is the main thorn in the issue.

Caporegime
There are entirely logical reasons for being especially against being called European as a Brit.

For the better part of half a millennium we have been at odds with Catholicism in Europe, such that we have plowed many man into many other manly mans from the Catholic armies of European states.

While nostalgia is stupid, especially beyond our realm of being present during that time, its not unfathomable to react badly to Europe as typically we've been badly treated for quite awhile (though once Britain basically ruled most of the planet, it was probably the other way around).

I think for the most part, the result of that rivalry is the main thorn in the issue.

In the words of the great Doug Stanhope, "Tradition and heritage are all dead people's baggage, stop carrying it. Move forward.".

Man of Honour
So, yet another person whose priorities are not the UK, its people or economy wants us to remain?

Is that honestly what you take from that? His vested interest is irrelevant - the point is that Japanese firms who are in it for their shareholders currently see the UK as a place to base industry to access the EU. Irrespective of the reasons for that the end result is a significant amount of car manufacturing for example we'd not otherwise have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom