Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
[TW]Fox;29477101 said:
Meanwhile, information from the 'Out' campaign is completely impartial and straight down the line :confused:

That's not what I'm saying.....

I'm making the point that some people put more faith in something just because it happens to come from the Government of the day. Whilst others don't.

Soldato
What Cameron said (versus how the tabloids reported it) isn't implausible. The chance of war breaking out in western Europe is slim but what about Ukraine or Georgia?

It's not slim, it's impossible. NATO would have to desolve and Germany and France would have to ignore the mutually assured destruction doctrine, then they'd have to be willing to declare war on Britain and all her allies, or we'd have to do the same. Then you'd have to convince people to sign up to fight their friends over the English Channel.

It would be HUGE stretch to imagine a war with Russia, that's almost impossible despite what the media say, suggesting a war in Western Europe could happen is a flat out lie

Man of Honour
That's not what I'm saying.....

I'm making the point that some people put more faith in something just because it happens to come from the Government of the day. Whilst others don't.

And on the flip-side, some people refuse to believe anything the government says even if it's as simple as 'Tomorrow is Tuesday' simply because it's the Government.

Soldato
Roar87 said:
Really? I raise you Barack Obama: Back of the queue, the French remarks... Its threats, nothing more

Did either say we wouldn't be able to trade with anyone? No

I listened to what Obama said rather than what the Headline in the news said and it was pretty basic stuff. Sure, there was a bias to what he was saying, because he has an opinion on the result. But it wasn't scaremongering, a threat or lies.

It's not slim, it's impossible.

I think you need to let your fellow Brexiteer, Chris Wilson, know then as he thinks it's 'highly likely' there will be war within 10 years

Soldato
What makes it a dodgy leaflet? It's far, far, far, far, far, far more balance and reasonable than what we're getting from the Brexit/Bremain campaigns.

Just opened it and a bloke said how the Government was legally obliged to provide information... didn't they just fulfil that?

Who was it delivered too?

I never received one nor did anyone I know in my area (Horsham West Sussex and surrounding villages).

If it was such vital information why was it only delivered to selective areas.

That is dodgy for a start.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's not slim, it's impossible. NATO would have to desolve and Germany and France would have to ignore the mutually assured destruction doctrine, then they'd have to be willing to declare war on Britain and all her allies, or we'd have to do the same. Then you'd have to convince people to sign up to fight their friends over the English Channel.

It would be HUGE stretch to imagine a war with Russia, that's almost impossible despite what the media say, suggesting a war in Western Europe could happen is a flat out lie

Or Greece implodes and is engulfed by civil war, which like Syria, spills over the border and causes a more regional war, but not affecting western Europe directly.

You're creating an extreme situation that almost certainly isn't what Cameron is referring to. It's not like he's referring to a third world war, or a recurrence of the second world war, rather regional instability, potentially caused by isolationism by various nations.

Talking and working closely with each other generally reduces the chance of violence, whether that be nation vs nation or just a fight at the local pub. Communication is important. That's why the pro Brexit headline was inflammatory and fear mongering - ironic considering the insistence from several Brexiters about the remain camp being fear mongers...;)

Caporegime
Who was it delivered too?

I never received one nor did anyone I know in my area (Horsham West Sussex and surrounding villages).

If it was such vital information why was it only delivered to selective areas.

That is dodgy for a start.

It's supposed to have gone to every UK household.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35980571

Why it didn't go to your area? Perhaps there was a **** up somewhere down the line (royal mail, local post?), or you missed it. There is no logical reason for the government to miss out areas.

Caporegime

I posted a couple of pages back about what Cameron actually said. Despite the cruddy headlines he was clearly talking about wars such as those that have happened in the Balkans, Ukraine and Georgia not suggesting there's going to be a world war III.

Soldato
I posted a couple of pages back about what Cameron actually said. Despite the cruddy headlines he was clearly talking about wars such as those that have happened in the Balkans, Ukraine and Georgia not suggesting there's going to be a world war III.

I don't see how the EU would stop those happening, frankly it's the EU's desire to expand that's caused a lot of the tensions with Russia

Caporegime
I don't see how the EU would stop those happening, frankly it's the EU's desire to expand that's caused a lot of the tensions with Russia

Because there is greater dialogue in an organisation like the EU, over disparate individual nations trying to reconcile differences. You have a better framework to air grievances between each other, and the might of other countries within the same framework to help negotiate between nations. One of the reasons alliances have been going for millennia.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;29477291 said:
Of course there is, it's a nasty and dodgy conspiracy!!!

I'm still trying to work out what the government would gain from not sending it to every household.

If you're thinking about voting out it's unlikely you'll become more likely to vote remain because you didn't get a leaflet; and if you are erring towards voting remain it's unlikely a piece of " remain propaganda" not arriving will help swing you more into the remain camp.:confused::p

If anything it should be a Brexit conspiracy to stop people getting the "full facts" possibly perpetuated by Brexit Posties throwing the leaflets into a bush! :p

Soldato
Because there is greater dialogue in an organisation like the EU, over disparate individual nations trying to reconcile differences. You have a better framework to air grievances between each other, and the might of other countries within the same framework to help negotiate between nations. One of the reasons alliances have been going for millennia.

I think that's all great, I just don't know why it has to involve them making our laws, negotiatiating our trade agreements and opening our borders

Associate
Must be an unusual bunch of teachers ime. I know a fair few but actually there are some exceptions. My better half being one haha.

Err really? Lets see Russia are going to invade, we will have ISIS and terrorist attacks every minute of every day, we will lose £4200 per household, will will have an alien invasion and wont be helped, we will have no way of working over seas or studying abroad or will be ignored by the EU, we will have meteor showers, we will have less presence on the world stage.

That vs we can do this we can make our own trade deals we can set our own rules we can do this. We can save £15-£30+bn per year, we can have a democratic voice, we get a seat on the WTO... Sounds far more optimistic.

Really? I raise you Barack Obama: Back of the queue, the French remarks... Its threats, nothing more. If the world economy believes it can do without 4-6trillion well.

I think my over ruling factor is Greece. The troika did an unspeakable evil against millions of people and I cannot agree with what it did. Look at what Varofoukis said: They hated the idea of democracy. And the weak suffer what they must? You bet!

I think the only area now available for change is the people getting splinters. My decision nor those of my friends and family will not alter.

Crikey. Do we get free movement to the alien planet though after the invasion?

Soldato
I can predict Moses Cameron's fortune telling next week :
"If we leave the EU, the Sun will stop shining on the British Isles. Locusts will consume our crops, fires will fall from the skies and your first born will perish"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom