Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Today's Daily Telegraph put a somewhat different slant on these reluctantly and begrudgingly released statistics:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...migrants-came-to-britain-over-last-five-year/

The pie chart at the end there is a bit odd :-

No. of UK Households : 27 million
Uk Electricity Customers : 27 million - that matches nicely
Residential Landlines : 25.6 million - fair enough
TV Licences : 25 million - ok, students and the odd weirdo
Gas customers : 23 million - no problem, I'm one who doesnt have gas
Broadband connections : 21.3 million - wow, poor sods don't have internet

Households supplied with water - 21 million - ??? Who's the 6 million that don't have water?!

Caporegime
Households supplied with water - 21 million - ??? Who's the 6 million that don't have water?!

I wondered that? There's a few houses which have independent water supplies (i.e. wells, etc.) but I can't imagine there's six million of them. Maybe it's accounted for my multi-residence buildings (e.g. blocks of flats or houses split into multiple flats) which have a single point of water supply?

Soldato
I wondered that? There's a few houses which have independent water supplies (i.e. wells, etc.) but I can't imagine there's six million of them. Maybe it's accounted for my multi-residence buildings (e.g. blocks of flats or houses split into multiple flats) which have a single point of water supply?

Maybe so, it just struck me as odd the electricity matches up perfectly and the water is so much less

Soldato
The pie chart at the end there is a bit odd :-

No. of UK Households : 27 million
Uk Electricity Customers : 27 million - that matches nicely
Residential Landlines : 25.6 million - fair enough
TV Licences : 25 million - ok, students and the odd weirdo
Gas customers : 23 million - no problem, I'm one who doesnt have gas
Broadband connections : 21.3 million - wow, poor sods don't have internet

Scotland

Soldato
The ONS has published their report on the difference between the number of NI numbers allocated and migration figures. They conclude that, as previously suggested, the difference in attributable to short-term migration in which people come to the country for a short period, work, and then go home.

Today's Daily Telegraph put a somewhat different slant on these reluctantly and begrudgingly released statistics:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...migrants-came-to-britain-over-last-five-year/

Its clear that there are a lot of people who do short amounts of work in the UK before leaving. Its disappointing that these are not included in official migration statistics, by adding an extra person to those arriving and leaving.

Just because they are working on a short term basis, doesn't mean that they can be safely ignored, they are still in the country, working and living in accommodation.

The ONS still hasn't released the number of active NI numbers over time though, and thats the real measure of how many people we have working here.

Soldato
Maybe so, it just struck me as odd the electricity matches up perfectly and the water is so much less

Lots of places I've stayed in the lake district, highlands and wales have had their own (pumped / treated) spring and septic tank - they've always had grid electric though.

I guess in low population, remote (and usually high up) areas it's just not cost effective to have water treatment facilities and mains water / sewage.

Caporegime
Here's the anti remain spin on the ONS report if anyone is interested.

http://order-order.com/2016/05/12/true-eu-migration-figure-250000-a-year-higher/

It's up to Guido's usual standards, I see. Adding the short term immigration number to the long term immigration is adding apples and oranges and gives a similarly useless number. His point that "Remain are spinning that short-term migrants somehow don’t count – yet they still use the NHS, they are still a burden on public services, still claim benefits. The churn of short term migrants also means that the demand is a constant" is truthy but it's far from accurate when used with the numbers as he adds them up since any short-term migrant is only here for a number of weeks out of the year you cannot simply add their number to the long term migrant number and act as if they have a similar impact. Moreover, it's reasonable to assume that anyone who is only here for a few works is unlikely to claim benefits, unlikely to use hospital care and unlikely to place their children into our education system while they're still going to be paying tax so they're likely to be even greater net contributors to our state than long term migrants and thus very far from being the 'burden' Guido imagines.

Soldato
The ONS has published their report on the difference between the number of NI numbers allocated and migration figures. They conclude that, as previously suggested, the difference in attributable to short-term migration in which people come to the country for a short period, work, and then go home.

The same people that often use NHS and local government resources during their stay and go back home where they are able to claim UK benefits?

Or the same people that drop off the tax/NI radar into the black economy and stay here illegally?

The official estimated UK population of 65 million is at least 5 million too low according to supermarket chain estimates.

Permabanned
I know a lot of people come over here SPECIFICALLY to either give birth or use the NHS for expensive treatments for existing known ailments, then go back again. And where is short term mooted to be just "a few weeks"? What about the ones who disappear into the black economy, the ones the EU are trying to legislate against our public services and private individuals reporting as illegal immigrants? They seem very concerned about them, some here would tell us they are very few in number...

Soldato
I forget when it was now but someone being interviewed on Radio 4 suggested that some countries in the EU charge their own citizens for healthcare. Under EU laws we must provide migrants from within the EU the same benefits as UK citizens. This has led to a small but significant number of people coming to the UK recieveing an NI number then applying for an EU Health Card from the UK. They then can return to their home country and use the card at UK tax payer expense to recieve free healthcare in their own country. Whilst that may be correct by the rules it seems a little unfair on the UK taxpayer.

A very quick Google turned this up for the citation hungry crowd http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33843758

Associate
It's up to Guido's usual standards, I see. Adding the short term immigration number to the long term immigration is adding apples and oranges and gives a similarly useless number. His point that "Remain are spinning that short-term migrants somehow don’t count – yet they still use the NHS, they are still a burden on public services, still claim benefits. The churn of short term migrants also means that the demand is a constant" is truthy but it's far from accurate when used with the numbers as he adds them up since any short-term migrant is only here for a number of weeks out of the year you cannot simply add their number to the long term migrant number and act as if they have a similar impact. Moreover, it's reasonable to assume that anyone who is only here for a few works is unlikely to claim benefits, unlikely to use hospital care and unlikely to place their children into our education system while they're still going to be paying tax so they're likely to be even greater net contributors to our state than long term migrants and thus very far from being the 'burden' Guido imagines.

I feel you should add this to the comments section on Guido's website, just to see what reaction it gets.

Soldato
During any general Election at this stage, the BBC would have a poll tracker prominently placed on the web site. IMO this vote will be more important and influential then a GE for the majority of the population. Why no polling information BBC?

In a GE, the complaint is often made that my vote does not count due to being a safe seat. In this referendum, there is no safe seat and every vote will count, therefore the voting intentions of the country should be made more prominent and it should be in the BBC's public broadcasting remit to provide.

Loads of reality checks (actually someones interpretation of the fact) does not have the same impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom