Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
@nkata: I suspect the reason that the BBC aren't following the polls as closely this time is because of the accusation their coverage was too pool led at the general election. Poll results are easy to find, in any case, so its no great loss.

Associate
I know a lot of people come over here SPECIFICALLY to either give birth or use the NHS for expensive treatments for existing known ailments, then go back again. And where is short term mooted to be just "a few weeks"? What about the ones who disappear into the black economy, the ones the EU are trying to legislate against our public services and private individuals reporting as illegal immigrants? They seem very concerned about them, some here would tell us they are very few in number...
Looks like health migration is back on the agenda. It would explain the large difference in the numbers of short term and long term visitors and the reason the NHS is having such a problem with funding (even when they agree to throw extra billions at it the NHS just seems to demand more and more).

They keep saying the demand for care is going up but why would it shoot up exponentially within such a short period unless it was for some misuse being recognised? Ah well, conspiracy theories according to some :rolleyes:

Soldato
They keep saying the demand for care is going up but why would it shoot up exponentially within such a short period unless it was for some misuse being recognised? Ah well, conspiracy theories according to some :rolleyes:

I can't find any data on the total number of patients treated by year. I would doubt that it's rising exponentially but I'm willing to be proven wrong. :)

Waiting times are definitely increasing but they only started increasing when the Tories took control and curbed spending.

Soldato
More than one vote would be bad. It's destabilising. You can't keep having votes about which countries are in and out of Europe

I'm pretty sure you can, it's how Democracy works. We have a General Election every 5 years and that's probably destabilising but it's stil a good idea. I concede that maybe every 10 years we should decide on the EU though.

Caporegime
I know a lot of people come over here SPECIFICALLY to either give birth or use the NHS for expensive treatments for existing known ailments, then go back again.

No one has ever produced any good evidence that "health tourism" occurs on a significant scale.

And where is short term mooted to be just "a few weeks"?

I admit that was supposition on my part.

What about the ones who disappear into the black economy, the ones the EU are trying to legislate against our public services and private individuals reporting as illegal immigrants?

You seem confused. How do you imagine an EU citizen - with the right to live and work in the UK - becomes an irregular immigrant?

Caporegime
Here is what the EU plan as a robust guard against illegal immigrants, and people here suggest that no way will migrants into the EU be given special treatment. If this blatant attempt to circumvent basic law and order doesn't show how they plan on "handling"the migrant crisis I don't know what does

What's the source for the blockquote that follows this? I'd like to know more about it. Great news if it's true.

Caporegime
It's only "great news" if you are an illegal immigrant or make money from there presence in some way

Or if you're a landlord, employer, medical worker, or other person who's been arbitrarily conscripted into the Border Agency because the Tories are determined to continue their policy of wanting things without being willing to pay for them. Or if you're someone who doesn't look sufficiently white and is fed up of having your Britishness arbitrarily questioned whenever you interact with a range of vital services.

Ta.

Soldato
It's up to Guido's usual standards, I see. Adding the short term immigration number to the long term immigration is adding apples and oranges and gives a similarly useless number. His point that "Remain are spinning that short-term migrants somehow don’t count – yet they still use the NHS, they are still a burden on public services, still claim benefits. The churn of short term migrants also means that the demand is a constant" is truthy but it's far from accurate when used with the numbers as he adds them up since any short-term migrant is only here for a number of weeks out of the year you cannot simply add their number to the long term migrant number and act as if they have a similar impact. Moreover, it's reasonable to assume that anyone who is only here for a few works is unlikely to claim benefits, unlikely to use hospital care and unlikely to place their children into our education system while they're still going to be paying tax so they're likely to be even greater net contributors to our state than long term migrants and thus very far from being the 'burden' Guido imagines.

So if I came to live in the spare room of your house for a few years I would make an impact on you, but if I moved out after 3 months only to be replaced by another lodger who in turn stays for 4 months and then moves out to be replaced by another one [and so on] that wouldn't impact you?

In other words why does one person staying a year have any more impact that 3 people in combination staying for a year, in both cases we have one person here for the same duration of time. Whether it's the same person or not is largely irrelevant.

I take your point that in the latter scenario those people are less likely to create costs associated with a specific individual being here longer, but not to the extent where the ONS should be taking out and not even mentioning the short term impact.

Permabanned
Or if you're a landlord, employer, medical worker, or other person who's been arbitrarily conscripted into the Border Agency because the Tories are determined to continue their policy of wanting things without being willing to pay for them. Or if you're someone who doesn't look sufficiently white and is fed up of having your Britishness arbitrarily questioned whenever you interact with a range of vital services.

Ta.

As a landlord and employer I would not want illegals in my properties nor working for me, I would be making a rod for my own back, and would not consider it any burden to either choose not to house or employ them, or inform the authorities of any suspicions. I would not expect to be paid for this. It is my duty as a British citizen to do whatever is reasonable to support the infrastructure of my country, and help protect it from abuse. These vital services are paid for by the taxpayer, and as such they have a duty of care not to allow themselves to be abused. As such any suspicions they have should not be compromised by someone's colour or ethnicity, to the point where they decide not to ask questions, to suggest otherwise is blatantly racist.

Gux

Gux

Associate
Has everyone seen Vote.Leave's spectacular toys-out-of-the-pram tantrum because ITV have had the gall to set up a debate between Cameron and Farage, look at this quote:

"The Establishment has tried everything from spending taxpayers money on pro-EU propaganda to funding the IN campaign via Goldsman Sachs.

"The polls have stayed fifty fifty. They're now fixing the debates to shut out the official campaign.

"ITV is led by people like Robert Peston who campaigned for Britain to join the euro.

"ITV has lied to us in private while secretly stitching up a deal with Cameron to stop Boris Johnson or Michael Gove debating the issues properly.

"ITV has effectively joined the official IN campaign and there will be consequences for its future - the people in No10 won't be there for long".​

Spectacular! (Incidentally, it isn't true that Preston campaigned for the Euro, and Vote.Leave's pretence of being "anti-establishment" is hilarious).

Just shows what kind of idiots are in the Leave group. They are angry Farage went into the debate and not Boris or Gove. Last time I checked, it is Farage that has been pushing for out, for far longer than Boris or Gove, not to mention all 3 of them are for leaving, yet they can't even seem to work together on a issue they all agree on.

Good luck having these muppets negotiating with the EU (if we do leave), when they can't even seem to put on a unifying message in their leave campaign.

Shambles, makes they look completely incompetent and unprofessional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom