Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I find my attention drawn to the apparent 3% of UKIP supporters who would vote remain. It seems a little incongruous when the single biggest issue and main aim of the party is exit the EU for someone to be a supporter and not also want that outcome.

UKIP picks up the "none of the others" vote as well; some people vote UKIP to express their disgust with Labour, the Conservative and the Lib Dems. There's also a decent number of people who are Euroskeptic in that they want to see change or reform but don't want a full on leave.

Also, never under-estimate people's ability to press the wrong button.

Soldato
Nope your a xenophobic thug . Only Racists and little Englanders vote UKIP.

Its a funny thing bigotry, only goes one way ..:rolleyes:

Yeah, there's no irony what so ever in stereotyping people based on what party they voted for while loudly proclaiming to be a new age free thinking anti-racist

Soldato
With age comes social intelligence and greater understanding of human nature to factor into decisions. The older generation understand that this vote isn’t just about the balance sheet.

Caporegime
With age comes social intelligence and greater understanding of human nature to factor into decisions. The older generation understand that this vote isn’t just about the balance sheet.

The age based differences in Remain/Leave are largely explicable by differences in level of education. People with degrees, of any age, skew heavily in favour of Remain but very few people over 60 have degrees.

Why having a degree makes the difference, I don't know. My guess is simply that people with degrees are more likely to know people from other EU countries as friends.

Soldato
I'm completely uninformed knowing less than nothing but the more doom and gloom I hear from so-called authority figures from around the world, the more I'm leaning towards out.

Associate
The age based differences in Remain/Leave are largely explicable by differences in level of education. People with degrees, of any age, skew heavily in favour of Remain but very few people over 60 have degrees.

Why having a degree makes the difference, I don't know. My guess is simply that people with degrees are more likely to know people from other EU countries as friends.

Why don't you just say what you really think.

All the morons are voting leave and all the educated people are voting remain. because lets be honest that's what you think isn't it.

Caporegime
All the morons are voting leave and all the educated people are voting remain. because lets be honest that's what you think isn't it.

As the polling data posted on the last page shows, university graduates favour Remain by 70-30, people with A-levels as their highest qualification by 58-42 whereas people whose highest qualification is GCSE or lower favour Leave by 68-32.

If you want to interpret that as "the morons are voting leave and all the educated people are voting remain", you can feel free to do so. I don't think that's a particularly sensible interpretation, not least because education is a poor proxy for intelligence.

Soldato

People with degrees are more likely to be young, as you say, so it's more of just an age question rather than level of education. I'm 29 and voting out, but most people I know my age are remain. IMO it's because they don't know the issues that well, and tend to believe the EU is some sort of benevolent, liberal common mission that can safely guide us forward from Brussels. Once you look into it and realise what it's actually all about you're likely to change your mind.

Man of Honour
IMO it's because they don't know the issues that well, and tend to believe the EU is some sort of benevolent, liberal common mission that can safely guide us forward from Brussels. Once you look into it and realise what it's actually all about you're likely to change your mind.

Look into it where, on YouTube?

Soldato
I don't understand why any person would want to give away our ability to vote for the people who make 100% of our the laws. People have died so we can have that ability. Say what you want about the Americans but there's zero chance of that happening in their country in the next 10,000 years.

Caporegime
I don't understand why any person would want to give away our ability to vote for the people who make 100% of our the laws.

We're not. All laws made in the EU are decided by the directly elected EU parliament, by representatives of each nations elected government, or by those governments themselves (or some combination of these three). And, in any case, the EU does not make "100% of our laws".

Say what you want about the Americans but there's zero chance of that happening in their country in the next 10,000 years.

You do understand that the USA is a federation of formerly independent states, don't you? The transfer of power from US states to the USA federal authorities is exactly the same process as has happened in the EU, only they've gone way, way, way further in transferring such powers.

Soldato
No time to really get stuck into this again, but ...

I see great stuff for the converted, I'm sure, if it weren't for the willful wishing-away, in Hannan's dream specifically, of:

1. Risk of a significant drop in foreign investment in the UK post-Brexit.
  2. Risk to the pound, falling in value already.
  3. No direct democracy or rational market anywhere on the ground but some dusty libertarian tome.
  4. Incompatibility of a vision of Brexit that both completely liberates us from EU regulations, and allows us to enjoy all the benefits of free trade within its single market.
  5. Complete denial of unemployment increases post-Brexit due to economic uncertainty of the event and its lasting effects.
  6. The presumption that all good things will remain as they are, whilst senior Vote Leave figures, the Commission, the government, the IMF, the IFS, every global leader worth of note, patently state they will not. Indeed, to deliver the kind of control over immigration Gove and Boris are gambling their campaign on -- they will have to sacrifice trade volumes.
  7. Our current account deficit of -7% of GDP or thereabouts; which restricts both our options post-Brexit and bread and circuses that can reasonably be given to mask the lack of them.
  8. The EU's ability, and indeed China's, USA's and r-World, to say no to any of our hasty approaches re trade deals. Trading under WTO rules while the farce goes on, particularly under Boris as PM, isn't what the Brexit economists are assuming -- far from perfect competition, lack of regulatory, tariff, quota and other barriers. So, for how long this no-no game can go on, presuming we play patriotic handball, and who can weather it the longest?
  9. Measures by the BoE and the Treasury, under a Tory government, Boris or no Boris as PM, that would have to be made to stabilise the country. "The little man" won't like them. Indeed in times of economic instability, to argue that the power of said "little man" won't be transferred to powerful vested interests with the capital to take advantage of it is delusional, dishonest or conveniently misleading, with the aim of scoring cheap votes.
  10. No meaningful budget savings to be made by Brexit due to the above.
  11. Promise of cheaper prices, hedged on optimistic good times and perfect competition.
  12. Inherent advantages and imbalances of our economy; indeed financial services and education both require sensible approaches to immigration and access to the single market, neither is on the cards, unless Leave plans major u-turns late in the game.
  13. As for this resurgent 100% sovereignty cack -- every time you sign an international deal, agreement, protocol, alliance, engage in a military intervention, adjust interest rates based on global economic factors, invite investment, or do any of the other wonderfully stately things a modern state in a global world does, you give up sovereignty. So I prefer a stable framework for such compromises with an independent court system. A combinatorial bomb of bi-lateral and ever-shifting pacts is directly lifted from a romantic vision of the 19th century -- it'll explode disastrously, as it did before.

So how about we stop listening to jumped-up backbenchers, cranks and conspiracy nuts, and start listening to our allies, experts, our actual government and independent regulatory bodies? The latter hold an enormous influence over our future, democracy, prosperity and security, the former do not.

Perhaps we are all idiots, I just happen to like sensible idiots better. :p

Soldato
So how about we stop listening to jumped-up backbenchers, cranks and conspiracy nuts, and start listening to our allies, experts, our actual government and independent regulatory bodies? The latter hold an enormous influence over our future, democracy, prosperity and security, the former do not.

Perhaps we are all idiots, I just happen to like sensible idiots better. :p

I'm not sure if you understand how politics works in the real world but all of the above people do favours for each other, it's how the world works. David Cameron is fighting for his career now more than staying in the EU, he's completely willing to lie and get his friends to say what ever they're able to if it means not having to resign and leave office in shame

Man of Honour
You do understand that the USA is a federation of formerly independent states, don't you? The transfer of power from US states to the USA federal authorities is exactly the same process as has happened in the EU, only they've gone way, way, way further in transferring such powers.

Amusing how everyone seems to forget this - even Boris!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29496362 said:
Amusing how everyone seems to forget this - even Boris!

America has had a federal government since basically the day it was founded, they weren't ever sovereign countries. My point is that America wouldn't submit to another countries laws and let members of another country enact laws which affect them. It's hard to get them to sign up to common international treaties, so the irony shouldn't be lost when Obama comes and tells us to stay in the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom