Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It is simply not true that we joined a group "supposedly only about trade", as Ted Heath's letter to the nation makes clear:

Considering the actual referendum question was "Do you think the United Kingdom should remain part of the European Community (the Common Market)?", it's a bit disingenuous to say it wasn't presented primarily as a trade organisation.

...and of course people back then used to refer to the EEC as the "common market", as a lot of the adverts on both sides referred to it as, and per articles like this, which mentions the common market 5 times.

It clearly was pitched as primarily about trade, and look where we are today....

Last edited:
Associate
Despite those that seem to be almost full time employed here supporting the remain campaign, the only answer to my question is another question, if those that have umpteen times said this is an irrelevance to the referendum do not know the answer, please just say so, the dancing about suggests you do know, but do not want to commit to answering.

Someone said it is of no relevance as it's a schengen matter, yet those that want to remain suggest the EU is one big brotherhood, what happens to our brothers is surely then of interest and concern to us, should we vote to remain?

I see this as a VERY important question, and one that people in the UK need to ponder on carefully. There must be a dominating reason why Turkey risks foregoing taking billions off the EU based on whether they get visa free access to EU member countries, what is it?

Feels to me like Turkey have the EU by the balls RE immigrant crisis and felt (probably correctly) that they could get this visa free travel implemented which is another step along the road to full membership.

Not sure if this will have much impact in itself, maybe some within Europe but not within the UK.

Turkey would benefit massively from becoming a full EU member.
I still think they are a long long way away from membership but they are taking advantage whilst they have something the EU badly needs.

I don't think there was much chance of the EU withdrawing the extra funds Turkey are getting. It may seem like they are risking billions but in reality the EU need there help pretty badly at the moment.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29500662 said:
Why were you not against Columbia getting visa free travel? Argentina? Malaysia? UAE?

You seriously cannot see the difference between what's happening with Turkey and the other countries you quote? None of the above countries are on the EU's candidate list, none have recently done a "deal" which included a promise to "rekindle joining the EU discussions" and none share a border with the EU.

To pretend the gradual preparation for Turkey joining the EU is the same as Argentina being given visa free travel is really missing the point.

Caporegime
Oh wow you want us to debate a headline instead of looking at the full speech he gave. The EU wants to created a United Europe, so did Hitler, so did the Romans. Is there something wrong with that statement that we need to defend?

Ironic considering the noise the brexit side made over Cameron's speech about a destabilizing Europe. One sniff of the telegraph headline and away many went. :p

It goes back to the comments we were discussing about newspapers and the slants and bias they all have. At least with many of the broadsheets once you get past the headline and into the article it doesn't become as inflammatory and there are some facts to make your mind up, even if the story is bias as a whole.

Caporegime
Err...Yes :confused:

I think the 'method' in which was being employed to unify Europe is all important when using Hitler as a comparison to the EU lol

So no, they are not comparable in any reasonable sense, but I was expecting such a weak response, so at least you didn't fail there.

Next week. How the founding fathers of America were like Hitler... :p

Soldato
Can you prove that? Genuine question, it may well be true, I'd be interested to know.

It would surprise me a bit given two thirds of Tory MPs are in favour of leaving, and the Tories are the majority in the House.

Here's my maths on how many MPs are pro-Brexit:

Let's assume that two-thirds of Conservative MPs back Leave (220 vs 110).

Labour's Leave campaign consists of 4 MPs (4 vs 223).

SNP and Lib Dem are both 100% pro-EU as far as I can tell (0 vs 64).

I'm happy to be proven wrong though!

Caporegime
Domino effect, other nations would start having their own referendums, and before long it all goes to hell.

One can hope.

And that really would cause destabilization in Europe. I'd put money on there being at least one war/civil war if that actually happened.

It would depend if it happened over a relatively short period of time or decades of guess. I'd bet if (and that's a fairly big "if") the EU did "fall apart" it would be over a long period of time (say 20-30 years), rather than going to hell.

Soldato
Here's my maths on how many MPs are pro-Brexit:

Let's assume that two-thirds of Conservative MPs back Leave (220 vs 110).

Labour's Leave campaign consists of 4 MPs (4 vs 223).

SNP and Lib Dem are both 100% pro-EU as far as I can tell (0 vs 64).

I'm happy to be proven wrong though!

It is true!

Caporegime
Does it offer competing arguments and why they're wrong/facts and figures or is it just "omg this happens"?

It's opening line is "we, the people, are being cajoled, frightened and bullied into surrendering our democracy and freedom" then carries on to someone telling you it doesn't matter how you vote in general elections. Somehow, I doubt it gets more reasonable and balanced from there.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's opening line is "we, the people, are being cajoled, frightened and bullied into surrendering our democracy and freedom" then carries on to someone telling you it doesn't matter how you vote in general elections. Somehow, I doubt it gets more reasonable and balanced from there.

Well I'll waste an hour of my life elsewhere then :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom