Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
[TW]Fox;29501156 said:
Visa free schengen access is not 'gradual preparation for EU membership'.

My point is that the countries you're talking about are not on the EUs "candidate list" for joining, don't have a migrant deal worth billions of euros and a recent promise from the EU of "kick starting" joining discussions (or whatever the phrase was), a recently resigned PM etc.

Associate
Watched a bit of this, it didn't seem to show any of the positive arguments for the EU, which is a bit of a missed opportunity. The points about leaving were good, but by only showing one side of the argument they're not going to convince many people.

They can get the pro EU arguments from elsewhere.

Associate
I'm hearing that there is not going to be an exit poll from the media? Does anyone have any information on this? This can invite vote rigging.

The polls are definitely not accurate at the moment.

Caporegime
I'm hearing that there is not going to be an exit poll from the media? Does anyone have any information on this? This can invite vote rigging.

The polls are definitely not accurate at the moment.

Why are the polls not accurate?

I'm also very sure the electoral commission will come down on any perceived vote rigging like a ton of bricks so I very much doubt there would be enough to swing a vote.

Associate
I haven't heard anything about Exit polls for the EU referendum but I would have thought they'd have it, they are pretty accurate (off top of my head, I think they have always been correct).

Caporegime
I haven't heard anything about Exit polls for the EU referendum but I would have thought they'd have it, they are pretty accurate (off top of my head, I think they have always been correct).

Reuters are reporting that no-one is currently planning to conduct an exit poll for the referendum. They state that is because the expected margin of error is too large.

Don
I reckon that we will end up voting to leave. Much like the last GE (where people ended up voting Tory who said that they wouldn't) there will be people who say in polls that they intend to vote to remain but who will tick the leave box when in the privacy of the polling booth.

Soldato

Unlike a GE there are no marginals to predict a swing. In fact there is no historical data to determine a swing. All 382 areas would need to be sampled.

The margin for error would be greater than a possible majority one way or the other. Also it is only a two horse race.

Associate
Presumably those would include the same independent bodies many of which receive millions, or tens of millions, of Euros funding from the EU?

The same independent bodies, by the way, all of which use similar economic models all of which are modelling exit ramifications based on assumptions of effects, where the assumptions have absolutely no basis in historical data because a situation like an economy the size of the UK has never left a political union like the EU.

Or would it be the same independent body chaired by a former French finance minister? And would that be the same France that, if we leave, is going to find itself facing a substantial increase in contributions, or an EU having to make substantial cuts in it's spending, if it loses the UK net contributions?

And for that matter, the same former French finance minister that is and long has been part of the same establishment elite that shoved the EU on us in the first place without bothering go ask? The same elite that's so fond of sneering down their noses at rising levels of discontent, for various reasons, among a lot of EU countries and dismissing it as fascistic right wing, when in reality the only way it gets to be anything like large enough to be more than a noisy protest movement is if very large numbers of the population are prepared to vote for it, even if some of it is hard right. And some far left. Large enough, by the way, to be putting the next French Presidential election in doubt.

The same establishment elite that ignored the wishes of the people, in elections, and imposed a technocrat to run Italy, and shoved a bailout down the Greek's throats despite an anti-austerity party winning the election.

Or the same actual government that one month is telling us we can cope quite admirably, thank you very much, if we leave, which the PM will support unless he gets substantive reform, and then after getting a handful of minor amendments the legal enforceability of most of which is highly questionable at a minimum, is telling us it'll be economic catastrophe, or military Armageddon, or both, if we leave the protective arms of the EU. On which mutually exclusive occasion was our esteemed PM talking through his anatomical exhaust pipe?

Many of these supposedly authoritative experts, by the way, are the same ones that made similarly dire predictions of economic doom if the UK didn't join the Euro, and I can't think of any serious economists, or not more than a politically dogmatic indivual or two, prepared to seriously argue now that it would have been good for the UK if we had.

None of the economic bodies, politicians or individuals know what would happen post-Brexit, and that includes both sides. But few if any of those predicting economic disaster if we leave bother to tell us what their models predict if we stay in, with 26 out of 28 current EU members either in or treaty-obliged to join the Euro, when those 26 start ramming through economic measures designed to suit the 26, regardless of their effect on the UK.

They all imply, by omission at least, that the outlook is disaster if we leave, when that's nothing more than a modelling prediction based on assumptions they won't tell us, but the economic status quo if we don't, when the reality is that the EU is evolving, politically as well as economically, and the economic status quo is not an option.

Leaving has risks and, short-term at least, probably costs. But so does staying in, and those trying to bowbeat, scare and intimidate voters into staying never put any figures on the impact of EU evolution. If they're so damned prescient about the impact of one unknown and untested scenario, namely leaving, then they ought to be able to be prescient about the other, staying in an evolving EU.

Oh, and listen carefully to what these economic Cassandras say, even the likes of Carney, and it's "could" this, and "might" that. Well, the Euro "could" collapse, EU banks "could" implode, or a number of EU states "might" vote in anti-EU governments and the whole edifice shatters. Or we "could" get wiped out by a giant meteor impact, we "might" be saved from such by a benevolent, passing alien race, or the whole thing "might" be rendered academic by the 2nd Coming of Christ and a biblical "Revelation".

Bravo, Bravo.

I've been reading much of this thread and I am surprised that data-lol who is usually so quick to rebut other posters with walls of text hasn't responded to this.

I think its a shame that the left haven't really engaged in the debate at a political level (or at least not that I have seen). They just seem happy to sit and watch the conservatives arguing among themselves. Corbyn apparently now backs the EU.

Cameron hasn't got any tangible reforms through and despite previously saying he would push for an exit if that was the case has now changed his mind. One minute he bangs on about how great the country is and will still be successful in case of an exit then the next how disastrous it will be.
No wonder voters trust Boris more on the EU than Cameron.

I just hope the average voter isn't blinded by made up unreliable predictions and make their own mind up on the pros and cons as they see it.

For instance, you have the economy argument that seems to be done in such a way as to confuse and scare voters. You will be £4,300 worse off by 2030. They push this as a massive economic issue and a 6% gap in GDP. They sort of hide the fact that you will still be be better off compared to today as it will grow anyway but people will remember the £4,300.
Voters will then relate this £4300 to experience, i.e. how much I earn today and this will probably sway some on the fence.

So somehow they have now managed to accurately predict ~ 15 years in the future with a major change to the economy (leaving the EU).

Yet sticking with the status quo (with which you would hope historic figures would allow for more accuracy in forecasts) Osbourne's budget forecast in 2010 was 6% off in terms of the economy in 2015. So they can't predict 5 years but now we should trust the 15 years forecast.

Anyway back to someone from the left who would be voting out if he was still alive.

I hope the links are ok being youtube an all :p

Soldato
^ The rethoric is not the problem. Being independent, powerful and with less Eastern European jobs stealing bringands sounds nice, it really does. The problem is that the numbers don't add up and most of the research on the subject leans towards dangerous consequences after Brexit.

I'm sorry but the feeling in your gut that we will be just fine is not enough to warrant such a risk. Youtube videos and politicians' rants are entertaining but they suffer from an acute insuffiecency of evidence.

History has shown us it is generally not a good idea to take a jump in the dark while holding up the banners of Nationalism and Nativism.

Permabanned
Polls aren't compulsory, if a stranger stopped me in the street and asked a personal or political question of me I would just refuse to answer, so I don't think people would say one way or the other to a pollster, and then do the opposite, unless they were mournfully lacking in self confidence.

Caporegime
Much like the last GE (where people ended up voting Tory who said that they wouldn't) there will be people who say in polls that they intend to vote to remain but who will tick the leave box when in the privacy of the polling booth.

Actually, the shy Tory theory is considered an unlikely explanation for the poll error. The real issue is thought to be bad sampling. I would have thought shy Remain is more likely than shy Leave (polling on referendums has consistently under-estimated the vote for the status quo) but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom