Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
To be fair. It's right he wants a clear cut result either way a 51/49 will **** people off a 55/45 is clear.

So I agree with him if brexit got the slim win you lot would be buthurt like the rest of the country and vice versa

Soldato
Yeah I agree, we need a clear result. A marginal either way lacks legitimacy for the extent of the decision being made. Ignoring the desire of the 49.9% of Remain voters for instance or vice versa just feels wrong. My gut feel is 55-45 is a defensible split whether it's for stay or leave. Anything less and the question has to be re-asked in the near future. I wouldn't support taking the UK out of the EU on a 51-49 Leave win and I'm going to vote Out.

Soldato

Yea...where have we heard that accusation before.... :p

To be fair. It's right he wants a clear cut result either way a 51/49 will **** people off a 55/45 is clear.

Except he is saying 66 / 33 would be classed as clear

So I agree with him if brexit got the slim win you lot would be buthurt like the rest of the country and vice versa

Rubbish, a lot of us understand what a majority is, even if that is 1.

In fact a few of us have said if they tried to keep asking the same question (without any significantly different offer on the table) we would change our vote to out in protest at not accepting the result.

Soldato
I'm 25 minutes through the Brexit movie and to be honest while it has brought up some good points about transparency in the EU. I feel it is not telling the viewer why a certain action has been taken and also misrepresenting a lot of things. Especially when comparing the productivity and regulation with the 19th century compared to now without even mentioning the conditions for workers and the huge lists of differences in the world back then.

Caporegime
I appreciate what you're saying and I have sympathy for the argument. It would be a massively devisive thing to do though. If Leave do win by a fraction maybe my opinion wil change.

We're already divided. A close vote would show that the electorate is sharply divided on this. Respecting the vote wouldn't be creating new divisions; it would simple reflect existing ones.

I think the fury from denied Brexiters would be worse than any anger produced among the Remain camp by following through on a vote. While we may not like the outcome of a democratic vote, most people respect the legitimacy of its outcomes. For example: I'm gutted that the Tories won the last election, and appalled by the damage they're doing to our country but I wouldn't for a moment want to deny the fact they're the rightful government of our country; and, as much as I loathe UKIP and everything that they stand for, I think the fact that they got just 1 MP is a damning condemnation of our broken voting system.

Soldato

Much of the remain vote will be made up of people who don't feel strongly about the issue, the reverse is true for the people who want to leave. And this is usually true of any such referendum; the people wanting to change something usually feel more strongly about it.

Anything less than a 60/40 split will leave the issue on the table. A 51/49 split would probably cause chaos in government and force a general election.

Last edited:
Soldato
Much of the remain vote will be made up of people who don't feel strongly about the issue, the reverse is true for the people who want to leave. And this is usually true of any such referendum; the people wanting to change something usually feel more strongly about it.

Exactly, you could see the aggression of the nationalists in the campaign during the Scottish Indy ref as an example.

Soldato
So people who are autistic are creepy ? thanks of that :mad:

No no, I meant that Osbourne isn't mildly Autistic, he is just plain creepy. He has the expression and charisma of a lung fish, and a comparable intelligence to boot.

My brother has proper Autism and I have friends with different levels of Aspergers, and I've never considered any of them creepy.

Soldato
I'm fairly politics illiterate, but would some of the Tory party's stance of "Remain" come from the potential ramifications of us leaving the EU, i.e. the likely push for succession of Scotland and thus at least a partial break-up of the United Kingdom? Surely they wouldn't want to be the ruling party over such a period?

Soldato
More scaremongering from the "remain camp"

Just announced on radio: Islamic State ISIS would be happy if the UK left the EU.

How much lower can it get? Seriously :rolleyes:

Oh met my first remainer on Saturday evening: Wants to stay because of cheaper phone tariffs and because students can go and study abroad... Lol couldn't figure out my explaining how much of a pathetic reason the first is and how the hell do US and other nations students ever manage to come and live to study in the EU... It must be so horrendous as only a few tens of thousands manage to do it!

Soldato
You think that if, after an election in which the Leave camp won narrowly, it wouldn't create more rage among the Brexiters if that result wasn't respected than it would among the Remain camp?

Okay :confused:
Maybe I misread, but it seemed to imply a decision against Brexit would result in Brexiters kicking off, whereas a decision against Remain would result in Remainers being all calm and accepting.

Caporegime
Maybe I misread, but it seemed to imply a decision against Brexit would result in Brexiters kicking off, whereas a decision against Remain would result in Remainers being all calm and accepting.

No, that wasn't what I intended to say. I was carrying on the thread of discussion with PlacidCasual in which he said "I wouldn't support taking the UK out of the EU on a 51-49 Leave win and I'm going to vote Out" and I was talking about that scenario specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom