Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I take it you consider your self decisively rich and skilled. :rolleyes:

Not sure how you came to that conclusion about what he meant....?

Edit : oh I see - the assertion that the bulk of Brexit supporters are poor and low skilled, not that the recession would hit them the hardest.

Last edited:
Caporegime

It's significantly dishonest since it relies on comparing Cameron's base salary to the salaries of EU civil servants combined with the value of their perks? Also, Cameron is entitled to a further £50,000 which he (like Gordon Brown) has chosen not to take.

I don't doubt that the EU has a number of well paid staff, I don't think their pay is particularly egregious.

Caporegime
Source please?

It's already been posted a few times on this thread:

divEU3_zpszcohnqke.png

This is from YouGov, but the pattern is consistent with other sources.

Soldato
The poor often vote against establishment norms. Awakenings are also starting to happen where the governments malfeasance and lies are becoming ever more difficult to suppress. Even history is beginning to unravel if you know where to look

Permabanned
I believe the vote from more elderly citizens could be decisive, they do not show as much of a presence on discussion forums, nor do they tend to be as vocal publicly as the younger members of society, yet if that survey has any merit at all, it suggests that a lot of them will vote to leave.

As an aside there was an interesting news article this morning in the Romanian press, although it nothing more than we already knew, many if not most of the migrants/asylum seekers aren't so interested in anything other than getting to a wealthier Eu member country suggesting they are indeed economic migrants :-

"Half of the refugees who were supposed to be moved from Greece to Romania withdrew from the relocation program and disappeared. Most of the refugees allocated to Bulgaria have also fled, according to sources familiar with the situation quoted by Financial Times.

Some 191 of the 1,324 refugees (one in seven) who were already supposed to be relocated from Greece to other EU countries have left the program and disappeared.

The European Commission decided, in October 2015, to relocate 160,000 refugees from Greece and Italy to other EU countries, based on mandatory quotas. Romania, the Czech Republic, Slovakian, and Hungary voted against this measure, but had to accept it as all the other countries voted for.

Most Romanians oppose refugees settling into the country and it seems that the refugees are not interested in coming to Romania, one of the EU’s poorest countries, either. According to official data announced by the Greek authorities, 32 out of the 67 asylum seekers who were supposed to be transferred to Romania already refused to come.

Similarly, 36 of the 47 refugees that were supposed to get to Bulgaria also left the program."

Permabanned
You seriously cannot see the difference between what's happening with Turkey and the other countries you quote? None of the above countries are on the EU's candidate list, none have recently done a "deal" which included a promise to "rekindle joining the EU discussions" and none share a border with the EU.

To pretend the gradual preparation for Turkey joining the EU is the same as Argentina being given visa free travel is really missing the point.

Seems the European Commission share our serious concerns with Turks being allowed visa free EU travel and do not consider them risible as do some on here:

https://www.rt.com/news/343362-turke...sts-criminals/

Similarly Bavarian citizens have serious concerns with their Chancellor's open door policy and are buying none lethal weapons at an unprecedented rate, no doubt in fear the doctors, engineers, academics and saviours of their economy flooding into the country may prove hostile ;)

https://www.rt.com/news/343385-bavar...ethal-weapons/

Permabanned
You are ranting about refugees quotas, what is Britain's quota?

I never mentioned anything about quotas, I linked to an article from the European Commission which said they were very concerned about the security implications of Turks being allowed visa free travel, and to an article about how Bavarians were suddenly arming themselves to the teeth in fear of violence from the refugees in their midst.

Caporegime
And? I ask again: what does whether or not a future British government decides to accept more refugees have to do with the EU? You do understand that we cannot be forced to take refugees by the EU without our governments say so, don't you?

But how do you know Cameron wasn't holding off accepting refugees because of the negative impact it would have on the remain campaign? What's to say that if we vote to remain, he'll consider it done and dusted, no longer a risk to our membership and his nice retirement job and open the gates?

Permabanned
But how do you know Cameron wasn't holding off accepting refugees because of the negative impact it would have on the remain campaign? What's to say that if we vote to remain, he'll consider it done and dusted, no longer a risk to our membership and his nice retirement job and open the gates?

Exactly, and as more and more migrants pour into Europe, many who are purely economic migrants, pressure will mount for the UK to take some, and then some more. One would have to be pitifully naieve not to see how the migrant situation has gone off the BBC radar compared to before the EU referendum shenanigans, and how the EU leaders will be in cahoots to keep it low key until their desired UK referendum result is achieved.

My faith in our government not capitulating to pressure from the EU to take more refugees is next to zero should we remain in the EU. The pressure on them would be far less should we leave. Cameron has already agreed to capitulate over 3000 refugee "kids" coming over, God knows how many relatives will come in on their push, in due course. "Kids" do not make it half way around the world on their own, they have had adult support, financially and motivationally, that's blatantly obvious. He's setting another precedent by accepting any at all. He should have stuck to his guns about cherry picking from the official refugee camps in Syria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom