Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So, they've had another debate: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/eu-debate-live-reaction-analysis-7989066. One can best describe the encounter as a raging bull smashing into his own china shop, forgetting it was only meant to be a light slither session. Although the migration crew here will lap it up regardless.:p But other things got a mention, honest!

I hope they eventually post the full 90 minutes of it online, as it seems to fit the turn in the thread perfectly.

One more tomorrow from the BBC, aimed at younger voters.

Soldato
So, they've had another debate: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/eu-debate-live-reaction-analysis-7989066. One can best describe the encounter as a raging bull smashing into his own china shop, forgetting it was only meant to be a light slither session. Although the migration crew here will lap it up regardless.:p But other things got a mention, honest!

I hope they eventually post the full 90 minutes of it online, as it seems to fit the turn in the thread perfectly.

One more tomorrow from the BBC, aimed at younger voters.

I'll have a listen at home, but you seem to be of the impression that this was won by the remainers? The poll on the site comes out as 87% for Brexit winning the debate, and the editorial places equal weighting on both teams individual performances.

Farage is playing the immigration card too strongly for my liking, he's divisive at the best of times, I'd like him to be a little more considered so that he can get the many pro-Brexit points across without invoking character attacks. Saying that though, Mandelson is an utter slimeball, and is likely to drive as many voters away from his campaign as Farage is.

Soldato
I would say the consistency of the poll % reflect more on the opinion of those who entered the polls over how people honestly thought each part of the debate went.

Leave or stay, i think immigration should not be used as a main point in either campaign.

Caporegime
I would say the consistency of the poll % reflect more on the opinion of those who entered the polls over how people honestly thought each part of the debate went.

Leave or stay, i think immigration should not be used as a main point in either campaign.

It is the entire reason we are having it...

Soldato
I am so absolutely conflicted in what to do about the vote now. I really want to remain but there are some glaringly obvious problems with the EU for which nobody seems to be able to offer any solution or possible reform.

Associate
I am so absolutely conflicted in what to do about the vote now. I really want to remain but there are some glaringly obvious problems with the EU for which nobody seems to be able to offer any solution or possible reform.

In that case you have really only got the option of leaving, they (EU) have shown no implication of changing course, even when we was trying to negotiate they didn't even throw a bone.

Soldato
I'll have a listen at home, but you seem to be of the impression that this was won by the remainers? The poll on the site comes out as 87% for Brexit winning the debate, and the editorial places equal weighting on both teams individual performances.

Farage is playing the immigration card too strongly for my liking, he's divisive at the best of times, I'd like him to be a little more considered so that he can get the many pro-Brexit points across without invoking character attacks. Saying that though, Mandelson is an utter slimeball, and is likely to drive as many voters away from his campaign as Farage is.

It's doing us some good PR, yes. I can tell you without breaking an nda, that the more Farage leaves his box -- the better.

Here I'll take a bickering leave camp in a live debate on the EU over a snap online poll. The commentary is worth a read too. Leadsom and Farage have not been strong performers so far. One eventually runs off the economic runway that's sensible, provided she can land a word in (on this occasion not too bad, but generally women do notice when female politicians are basically shut out of these discussions by loud, preachy men :p) the other has always been loose with the facts and accusations. It would've been far more tactically prudent to have swapped him for Carswell to backup Leadsom on this panel. Though that would require actual sense and collaboration on the part of different Leave groups; which isn't happening due to amazingly clashing egos still taking priority over Brexit.

But I'm hoping, as a Remainer, Farage does keep his sledgehammer approach for the Cameron clash on ITV. If he keeps alienating the minority vote, especially from Commonwealth BME backgrounds, more him the loser in the end.

Soldato
I have to say I think it was quite decietful of Cameron choosing to debate Farage rather than the Leave camapigns chosen participant. I'm sure Sun Tzu would approve. I do think it gives Cameron the best chance to undermine the Leave campaign because Farage is political Marmite. People who like him are probably already firm leave voters and people who are remain voters probably dislike him but I could believe he does poorly amongst the undecideds. Whereas Boris or another official Leave campaigner may not enthuse the core leave vote but reach out to the undecideds better.

I would keep Farage for rousing the Core vote and leave him out of persuading the floater if I had any power to do so in the Leave campaign.

I'm truly coming to dislike Cast Iron Dave.

Soldato

If the topic interests you, just make sure you vote. No matter what happens afterwards, you would regret not showing up more than making the wrong choice.

Caporegime
But how do you know Cameron wasn't holding off accepting refugees because of the negative impact it would have on the remain campaign? What's to say that if we vote to remain, he'll consider it done and dusted, no longer a risk to our membership and his nice retirement job and open the gates?

Exactly, and as more and more migrants pour into Europe, many who are purely economic migrants, pressure will mount for the UK to take some, and then some more.

Cameron, and the Tories, have consistently opposed the UK playing their part in dealing with the refugee crisis so there's little reason to believe they'll change tack post-referendum. In or Out we will face pressure from other countries to step up to the plate, if anything leaving will make this worse because we'll then be in the position of desperately trying to negotiate something from the EU.

One would have to be pitifully naieve not to see how the migrant situation has gone off the BBC radar compared to before the EU referendum shenanigans, and how the EU leaders will be in cahoots to keep it low key until their desired UK referendum result is achieved.

Like the rest of Leave's conspiracy theories, this is just absurd. Like everything else news follows what is new; the EU referendum is demanding a large swathe of the news coverage and there have been few new developments on the refugee front. It is no surprise that news coverage is not at the levels it was last year, and the continuing level of coverage is about what we would expect.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Boris caught lying again. I agree with Michael Heseltine that Boris' recent remarks have really damaged his ambitions to be Prime Minister.

I don't know how Boris does it. This is a man who's previous parliamentary career was ended by a scandal arising from his dishonesty; who ummed and arred about joining the Remain or Leave campaign (even to the point that according to some sources he wrote both a Remain and a Leave article before deciding on Leave); was torn about by a Parliamentary committee for his dishonesty; has directly contradicted his own prior statements on TTIP in order to boost his Brexit arguments; and, yet, despite all this is he is one of the most trusted politicians on the EU referendum. It's an extraordinary piece of political skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom