Poll: The EU Referendum: What Will You Vote? (New Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I think Cameron inviting Obama here in the spring to give the Outers a telling off will prove to be a spectacular failure.

I'm not so sure, our media have convinced people in this country that Obama is the greatest president ever, so I think he will have an impact on the vote unfortunately. Remember that Obama hates Britain too because of his Mau mau grandfather.

Caporegime
Remember that Obama hates Britain too because of his Mau mau grandfather.

Absolute********.

Salon's Justin Elliott researched the issue, pointing out that Obama's family was never a part of the Mau Mau rebellion, and the prison time his grandfather served took place three years before the rebellion began.

Elliott also quoted historian David Anderson about events in 1950s Kenya, when the Mau Mau rebellion occurred:

To portray the Obama family as being part of Mau Mau is stir-fry crazy. Let me explain why: The Obama family come from western Kenya, which is about as different from Nairobi and the Kikuyu area as Utah is from New York City. And it's almost as far way.

They come from an area where there was no rebellion, there was no Mau Mau. So while his father and his grandmother may well have been nationalists -- I'm sure they were -- they weren't directly involved in the Mau Mau rebellion.

(Source).

Soldato
In short:

relax.png

:p

Soldato
I'd also loathe to sleepwalk into losing Scotland in any knock-on IndyRef 2.0 event. The SNP haven't given up on their ultimate goal, and in case of Brexit they would have an overwhelming boon to their argument. In case you haven't noticed, all Unionist parties have been decimated north of the border last year!
It's worth keeping this in mind. The UK leaving the EU would almost certainly end up with Scotland leaving the UK given how close the last referendum was potentially leaving a much dimished economic, military and political entity in the space of only a couple of years.

Not saying that's a good or bad thing, there's plenty of smaller counties doing just fine thank you (Scandinavia is a typical example), but it is worth keeping in mind a EU exit could be the start of some of the most fundamental changes to the United Kingdom in hundreds of years. For the first time in a long time England, Wales and NI with no UK, EU, Commonwealth (to speak of) or Empire. It's back to Tudor times for us! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom