The Evil Within

Soldato
it's total rubbish, i cant even find the menu/ settings etc....because the top half of the screen at start up is missing and it's on a really low resolution. it looks like the screen has shifted south leaving the top half black

i think the menu commands are in the missing part of the screen, he's outside running around in the rain, i dont know how to adjust this at all.

Soldato
This isn't my kind of game, but fair play to them for releasing a demo, especially with all the flak they had rightly been getting for the performance etc.

I can't get decent fps unfortunately, and it just doesn't seem that good to me, so I doubt I'll ever pick it up tbh.

Soldato
The patch has made this game fine for me, can remove letterbox and switch between 30fps or 60fps. Much much better, the developers obviously listening to PC gamers.

My GTX 980 @ 1500mhz struggles to maintain 60fps @ 1440P :p, I'm sticking with 30fps for now lol. Seems smooth and I can maintain that solid.

Will give this a proper play-through now it's fixed.

Soldato
In all fairness, AWPC is probably the only person here worth listening to since he's played a HUGE number of horror survival games and actually completed TEW.

Thanks a lot bud, I'm probably going to pick this up now thanks to you.

Soldato
The patch has made this game fine for me, can remove letterbox and switch between 30fps or 60fps. Much much better, the developers obviously listening to PC gamers.

My GTX 980 @ 1500mhz struggles to maintain 60fps @ 1440P :p, I'm sticking with 30fps for now lol. Seems smooth and I can maintain that solid.

Will give this a proper play-through now it's fixed.

no it isn't fixed at all, it will not fit my tv screen, it's too long and not tall enough, it's got totally the wrong aspect ratio at 1080p..... you can only see it all on a smaller resolution, you can also see Win 8 Desktop behind it...... this is after the latest patch...i downloaded the main game on saturday.

FPS are ok, and you can remove the letterbox etc, but this is no good if the aspect ratio is wrong......on full 1080p it's about 2ft too wide and 2ft too short.

what is so hard about 1080p that these idiots dont understand

Soldato
Played the demo and I'm still not sure on it. It's similar to Silent hill and Resident evil, but not as good as either. I don't like how you cant interact with anything and you get out of place looking icons on the screen for picking things up/ opening doors. There's also a lack of ambience that you got in the early Silent hills and Resident evil games. Walking through a dark wood should be a bit scary, but it wasn't at all.

Saying that it interested me enough to want to pick it up when its cheaper to see where the story goes.

Soldato
it's total rubbish, i cant even find the menu/ settings etc....because the top half of the screen at start up is missing and it's on a really low resolution. it looks like the screen has shifted south leaving the top half black

i think the menu commands are in the missing part of the screen, he's outside running around in the rain, i dont know how to adjust this at all.
Go here on your c drive:
C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\TangoGameworks\The Evil Within\base

Now edit the file "the evil withinconfig.cfg" you should be able to see the resolution at the bottom of the file edit the 2 values to be slightly lower on your PC so you can see the menu something like 1280 720. Its all because your HDTV refresh rate is not detected by the game once it is the menu will be fine. This game engine auto detects HDTV's @ 24hz when you first run them.

Soldato
I've got the game working but it's utter rubbish, this is the worst game i've ever played, the key bindings are dreadful, he cant run, he gets no ammo, he's slow and clonky ... he cant fight, it is utterly horrid. :mad:

can you imagine playing this krap after Dishonored or Far Cry 3.:mad::eek:

i've been spending the last 2 hours swearing like crazy, because he runs 15 feet then stops exhausted, bends over whilst recovering and gets killed from the rear, i've never experienced this type of rubbish in a game before..he should be able to run non stop like in any decent shooter and also no ammo !!!!!

the graphics is rubbish and the 3rd person view is very awkward, it isn't in the least bit scary because it's 100% annoying instead, i'm shocked just how bad this game is....and yet it gets quite good reviews !!!!!!!!!

in the 1st 20 minutes he's walking around limping, he cant even move it is just so bloody annoying, it's not in the least bit intelligent, man i'm really pi**** off tonight..... go **** yourself Bethesda, this game is just total krap.

he's being chased by about 3 of them, then he suddenly stops exhausted... there's me swearing ``MOVE YOU ***** ******``, i could not believe it when i first saw that

Last edited:
Soldato
The game is obviously not for you then its not a fast paced game. But you do realise when you start playing it takes quite some time to upgrade your character so he runs as you wish & has more health, stamina etc etc its like an RPG in that respect you get to an elaborate upgrade room between chapters & you can chose which weapons/character attributes to upgrade when you have collected enough green brain matter!

This game is not a shooter its an action survival horror he is supposed to be clunky to control until you upgrade him when the evil within chases you thats where that aspect comes in! Same with the ammo its everywhere you have to smash wooden crates, boxes & most enemies drop it as well but to keep tension high they only give you enough never too much so you have to cheat if you do not have the patience to play the game the way its meant to be played. Also use matches wherever possible to burn enemies saves ammo.

Here tells you how to use the ingame cheats. But this removes most of the challenge of the game :rolleyes:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1508646-debug-console-commands/

Soldato
Game design has come a long way!
....when you upgrade the main character he is no longer clunky to control so no better/worse than most other games with the same upgrade system mechanics.

I can see why some people do not like this game (i hated it until I got to grips with it now I think its decent & well worth the £24.99 it cost me!) but if you give it a chance its a reasonable RE4 sequel in all but name ;)

Soldato
Sorry guys it's just awfall.... he's only picking up 2 bullets at a time, the shotgun is always empty... every fight is hard work

it's so confusing the way the game jumps back and forth for his upgrades, it's just a total mess, this game is not a smooth running shooter, it's slow and lumbering and really bad in 3rd person, he cant pick up stuff easily in a fight, he's always facing the wrong direction, blocking the camera, turning in circles, running 15 feet and then stopping with the enemy right behind him.

a good horror shooter is nothing like this, this is the worst game i've ever played...easily

Last edited:
Soldato
he's only picking up 2 bullets at a time, the shotgun is always empty... every fight is hard work

it's slow and lumbering and really bad in 3rd person, he cant pick up stuff easily in a fight, he's always facing the wrong direction, blocking the camera

Interesting, you just described what sounds like a good survival horror game. Just like a RE/Silent Hill game before they went off the rails.

That is what 'Survival Horror' is all about, you need to make decisions on when to run and when to fight. A horror game looses a lot of appeal if you can just shoot everything without a care in the world about ammo or item management.

Soldato
I've played countless horror games...this is a great horror game if you give it a chance and it's pretty challenging.I am on chapter 10 now i would say it's one of the best recent ones and the gfx are very good in some areas yet not so great in others.(some of the effects later are pretty cool too)

Upgrade sprint timer asap i would say too. :p

Also make sure you make a lot of fire bolts for the xbow.

Soldato
Tired the demo earlier and it made me feel sick! only other game to this was dead space.... Can't believe it gave me motion sickness I removed the borders, disabled motion blur and increased the FOV Any ideas? I would love to play this game with out throwing up...

Back
Top Bottom