The Expanse

Soldato
Looking it up the actor who plays Amos has actual military training and came from the military into acting - I thought his handling was a bit good (he is obviously processing the why not just going through the motions) even for an actor who has done a bit of weapons training. It really works with the character though.

That's pretty cool actually, was only semi serious with my Alex comment.

I'm currently past the show books wise and getting some good background on Amos...he is quickly becoming one of my favourite sci fi characters.

Man of Honour
Yeah definitely one of my more favourite sci-fi characters - they've done well putting just enough detail about his background and hints without exposing too much.

Associate
Well Alex was Navy (MCRN) so he's gonna be pants in an actual gunfight ;)

if you watch or rewatch the first season alex said he was mcrn pilot of cargo etc type ship, He try for a transfer so he could pilot gunship/fast attack ship like rochinate but was turn down. so he only had basic training and never had any need for it until what happen after the first episode of season 1. where amos while not military train, he has far more weapon training or life experience with weapon than alex does. but alex make up for his lack of weapon training with his skills as a pilot for some of the thing he make the rochi do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah as I said in my last post, my comment about Alex was mostly flippant.

I'm fighting the urge to watch through again (4th time) now it's on prime, mid way through book 6 and the thought it could be 2021 until I see it on screen makes me want to rewatch.

Edit: The absence of other high quality Sci fi doesn't help, both Dark Matter and Killjoys were recommended to me and they feel like total amateur hour Sci fi. Have actually read the dark matter comics and they weren't great to start with.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah as I said in my last post, my comment about Alex was mostly flippant.

I'm fighting the urge to watch through again (4th time) now it's on prime, mid way through book 6 and the thought it could be 2021 until I see it on screen makes me want to rewatch.

Edit: The absence of other high quality Sci fi doesn't help, both Dark Matter and Killjoys were recommended to me and they feel like total amateur hour Sci fi. Have actually read the dark matter comics and they weren't great to start with.

well if you only watch the tv broadcast version of the expanse, I say re-watch it on prime now as I've finish watching season 3 and it is the uncut version you get on blu-ray so I'm guessing that season 1 & 2 are also the uncut version. language is presents where tv it either cut out or fade out before it spoken. now I haven't read the books but one of the main thing people compliant about is that the show doesn't have the bad languages in it, what bad language it does have is edited out for tv broadcast, but is present in blu-rays and depend on digital provider choosing tv or uncut for their service.

Man of Honour
if you watch or rewatch the first season alex said he was mcrn pilot of cargo etc type ship, He try for a transfer so he could pilot gunship/fast attack ship like rochinate but was turn down. so he only had basic training and never had any need for it until what happen after the first episode of season 1. where amos while not military train, he has far more weapon training or life experience with weapon than alex does. but alex make up for his lack of weapon training with his skills as a pilot for some of the thing he make the rochi do.

That makes sense - for some reason I had the impression Alex's background involved more combat oriented stuff with the MCRN.

Killjoys I found very dry and generally lacking but Dark Matter had some charm of its own and I mostly enjoyed it - like Farscape and Firefly it doesn't really take itself too seriously or try to be something it isn't which made it quite easy watching while I felt Killjoys fell over on both those points.

Associate
Recently re-watched Season 1 again as my housemate was watching it, and thought to myself -- it was definitely visually more striking in the first season. The way things were dramatised, in slow-mo, and the use of camera angles to create suspense and catch you off guard by not showing you something, but playing the sound of it. That kind of thing. It became quite standard by the last season I think, can't remember much that made me think whoa, that was cool. Also the political dimensions were way more interesting with the belt in the first season, and the neo-noir detective vibe with Miller etc. Miss that! Still, good show all around and am excited to see where it will go.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Quite a bit in The Expanse even though CGI composited into the scene seems to be actual practical sets though which always looks better - I can see the contrast to some of the later stuff with the protomolecule which is much more CGI generated and isn't as convincing though overall the CGI is a lot better than many shows.

I think some of those behind the show are fans of the work of the likes of Adam Savage etc. (hence the nod to Savage Industries and cameo) and favour a lot more practical effects where possible.

Caporegime
3 episodes into s3 and after watching this weeks Star Trek the cgi blows it out of the water.
I think the Star Trek CGI is actually pretty good. CBS have certainly backed it with a good budget. How long that continues I don’t know though given it’s viewing numbers and how little it’s driven users to CBS’ streaming service.

Associate
The CGI in Star Trek is good, but shame the storytelling is not - when compared to The Expanse - there's no comparison. Star Trek has this faux serious tone, takes itself really seriously even though it's all a bit naff. It lacks the earnestness, sense of wonder/enthusiasm, and silliness of previous Star Treks, but it has no actual challenging or intellectual ideas or maturity to justify it's pompous tone (unlike The Expanse, which does). The new Star Trek is like a moody sulky teenage girl, rather than a fun, bright-eyed 8 year old kid, or a jaded life-weary adult.

Man of Honour
The CGI in Star Trek is good, but shame the storytelling is not - when compared to The Expanse - there's no comparison. Star Trek has this faux serious tone, takes itself really seriously even though it's all a bit naff. It lacks the earnestness, sense of wonder/enthusiasm, and silliness of previous Star Treks, but it has no actual challenging or intellectual ideas or maturity to justify it's pompous tone (unlike The Expanse, which does). The new Star Trek is like a moody sulky teenage girl, rather than a fun, bright-eyed 8 year old kid, or a jaded life-weary adult.

Pretty much par for the course for a lot of Netflix shows these days - I'm generally on the cusp of cancelling my subscription.

Soldato
Been chipping away at s3 and just finished episode 5 or 6 really didn't expect the mutiny to go the way it did.

For me that's the strength in this series, you never get something happen "because story" or as a means to push things along. People act like people and do what the rest of us would do in the given situations based on their character types, no jumping the shark nonsense.

Soldato
For me that's the strength in this series, you never get something happen "because story" or as a means to push things along. People act like people and do what the rest of us would do in the given situations based on their character types, no jumping the shark nonsense.

I agree I was expecting when mutiny was mentioned some Crimson Tide scenario but nope completely different, wasn't expecting Mao to do the 180 either but hey ho his true colours are now showing through.

Man of Honour
I'm hoping that Amos isn't explained/justified in some way, I really want him to be a bit of a whack job just because he is a bit of a whack job, not because event x or y happened in his past. Havent read the books so not sure if he ends up being justified by some past but I'm hoping it doesn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom