The Expanse

Soldato
Budget has gone up, which sort of worries me.

The fact they had restricted budget on the first few seasons and that most of that went on short SFX sequences meant it was on the actors to really carry the show and it worked.

I fear that with high budget, we'll go more into spectacle and have less character driven scenes which was the shows strenth...IMO of course.

This is a very good point. Many people just assume that bigger budget automatically means better quality output.

While Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit has nothing to do with The Expanse; we saw what Peter Jackson achieved with limited resources he had with LotR. Because of the success of that, he had too much when it came to making The Hobbit. Look how that turned out; more was certainly not better.

The Expanse creators are not Peter Jackson though, so it depends whether they understand what made the first 3 seasons so good. If they do, then maybe they can avoid pitfalls and continue to make the show as good as it has been up until now. If not, then maybe like Jackson, they will get distracted by new shiny more expensive toys to play with...

Caporegime
This is a very good point. Many people just assume that bigger budget automatically means better quality output.

While Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit has nothing to do with The Expanse; we saw what Peter Jackson achieved with limited resources he had with LotR. Because of the success of that, he had too much when it came to making The Hobbit. Look how that turned out; more was certainly not better.

The Expanse creators are not Peter Jackson though, so it depends whether they understand what made the first 3 seasons so good. If they do, then maybe they can avoid pitfalls and continue to make the show as good as it has been up until now. If not, then maybe like Jackson, they will get distracted by new shiny more expensive toys to play with...

Costs of shows go up due to wages and things, tying down increasingly popular and in demand writers, cast or directors and other people to contracts to keep it going.

Second off, Jackson didn't do a good job with The Hobbit, but it also wasn't his project. The entire thing was put together by Guillermo del Toro, then he either left the project because the studio was pushing for things he didn't want or the studio pushed him out because they didn't like what he was doing. Jackson came in stupid late with half the film, sets and I think all the casting done meaning there was only so much he could change. Also because of the concurrency of filming them he couldn't really get through one film and fix the others. The project was mishandled from the start.

I don't think a big budget really means much of anything, it can depend on many things. It could mean they tied up the actors for series 4 and 5 and to do so meant offering more money, it could be that Amazon asked them for ideas for S4 and they had various options and one meant visiting more worlds or more sets and would cost more and Amazon approved it. That's often how shows work in that they'll have an idea or path that can save money, more stuck on a single ship stuff, less sets and less costs but other ideas for episodes that would cost more. So a bigger budget could mean no core changes, no more CGI but just Amazon chose what would usually be their preferred, less cut down ideas for Season 4 than the budget options. It could also mean throwing more battles and CGI in for the sake of it, you won't know till later on but if it's the same show runners and they know what has made the show work no reason to assume they'll change it up massively for S4.

I kind of want to read the books but don't want to ruin the show so decided not to, so no idea what's supposed to come next. If it's a action heavy season coming up that actually requires more cgi and cost to do right, it could be that it makes perfect sense for the cost to go up, just as S5 could be less space stuff and cheaper to do and the costs go down.

Soldato
I kind of want to read the books but don't want to ruin the show so decided not to, so no idea what's supposed to come next. If it's a action heavy season coming up that actually requires more cgi and cost to do right, it could be that it makes perfect sense for the cost to go up, just as S5 could be less space stuff and cheaper to do and the costs go down.

I'm nearing the end of book 5 as I simply couldn't wait to find out what happened next. The show is well adapted and follows quite faithfully. The biggest strength of book 1 for me is that it is told entirely from Miller and Holdens perspective, no one else, they alternate chapters.

I won't spoil anything for S4 but if it follows the book it should be mainly a single planet story but will require quite a bit of CGI to do it right.

There is also the scope and content to split book 4 across two seasons, they've done some odd splits before with S1 & 2 being book 1 and S3 being books 2 and 3.

Associate
I'm nearing the end of book 5 as I simply couldn't wait to find out what happened next. The show is well adapted and follows quite faithfully. The biggest strength of book 1 for me is that it is told entirely from Miller and Holdens perspective, no one else, they alternate chapters.

I won't spoil anything for S4 but if it follows the book it should be mainly a single planet story but will require quite a bit of CGI to do it right.

There is also the scope and content to split book 4 across two seasons, they've done some odd splits before with S1 & 2 being book 1 and S3 being books 2 and 3.
On book 3 at the moment and really enjoying it. I'm avoiding watching the show until I've blitzed through the lot!

Associate
Does the TV series get abit better, tried to watch the first series twice now and the first two episodes I'm like meh can't get into it.

Soldato
Does the TV series get abit better, tried to watch the first series twice now and the first two episodes I'm like meh can't get into it.

Took me 3 attempts to get through season 1 and now as it's apparent from my posts, it's one of my favourite ever shows.

Thing to remember, it takes a full 4 episodes to build characters and let you really get a feel for everyone...S1 is a fairly slow burn story anyway. Just persevere until the end of episode 4, that's normally the turning point for most people.

It's also worth mentioning that season 3 was the 2nd highest rated TV season of all time on RT second to season 5 of Breaking Bad for a time and still maintains a very strong positive score.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_expanse/s03/

100% fresh, 97% user/audience score.

Last edited:
Soldato

If you stick with it, the wider politics and story arcs are quite decent. Let the cringe-tastic dialogue and annoying leads wash over you and it's quite enjoyable.

I wouldn't expect to get blown away. I just catch up on it when the other half is away with work, it fills the time.

Makes me sad that so much sci-fi gets a pass for abysmal acting talent...we should demand better!

Associate
The Expanse is up there on my top 5 sci-fi TV shows ever along with star trek and farscape, i'm so happy someone picked up the rights for the next few seasons, sadly had to be Amazon but oh well better than no more series at all.

Associate
The Expanse is up there on my top 5 sci-fi TV shows ever along with star trek and farscape, i'm so happy someone picked up the rights for the next few seasons, sadly had to be Amazon but oh well better than no more series at all.

from what I read online there was strong chance amazon was going to pick it up anyway for season 4 and beyond but what turn possible 80-95% to 100% was Netflix offer to not renew it rights to show when they expired in September of last year. so come February 8th season 1-3 will be on amazon prime, so I'm guessing maybe spring to mid summer we get season 4. as I mention above hopefully the season 1-3 we get on amazon will be the uncut version and not the tv broadcast version.

Soldato

Could have been worse, could have been Netflix, their quality has jumped off a cliff in the last year.

Soldato
The show is worth it for Amos alone, everything else is just a bonus :)

His conversation with Holden about Naomi always gets me...something along the lines of "she's like a little sister to me, I mean, i'd do her if she let me but she's still kinda like a little sister" :D

The books expand on his character a lot and he's far more complex than first appears. Not sure if they'll carry that well into the show going forward, I really hope they do.

Soldato

Had Amazon not have picked up the rights, that would have been the end of it. That was never going to happen though, because the CEO is a massive of The Expanse. Bezos actually wanted Amazon to pick up The Expanse from the word go, and was annoyed when Syfy outbid them.

If he wasn't a fan; would Amazon have picked it up anyway? Who knows. It's expensive to make, which is why Syfy cancelled it and most likely why Netflix wasn't interested. Without someone like the CEO of Amazon being a big fan, not sure why they could justify the show's expense any more than Netflix.

Thankfully Bezos is a fan though and the TV show will hopefully continue to a conclusion. How many sci-fi TV shows get to reach a conclusion these days...

Back
Top Bottom