The Expanse

Soldato
My apologies, I've added a spoiler lest I further upset TV watchers
I'm on a full reread of the entire book series and I've just finished book 6 and I'm just starting book 7 Persepolis Rising. Now I love the books I think they are brilliantly written I love the changing perspective and interlinking story elements. But there is something that gets my goat about the Belters "winning" the Trade Union is just too powerful and doesn't recognise the deliberate and massive crimes the Belters committed during the war. I like the idea of the niche for the Belters and they are deserving of a stable existence but the seeming handover of life and death to the least stable and most murderous group in the setting just feels very wrong. Luckily it's not a major part of the plot and Book 7 soon moves past it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on a full reread of the entire book series and I've just finished book 6 and I'm just starting book 7 Persepolis Rising. Now I love the books I think they are brilliantly written I love the changing perspective and interlinking story elements. But there is something that gets my goat about the Belters
"winning" the Trade Union is just too powerful and doesn't recognise the deliberate and massive crimes the Belters committed during the war. I like the idea of the niche for the Belters and they are deserving of a stable existence but the seeming handover of life and death to the least stable and most murderous group in the setting
just feels very wrong. Luckily it's not a major part of the plot and Book 7 soon moves past it.

Tell your goat not to lump every Belter in with the one group that did these things.... and also to consider which Belter is actually running the TU.
Make sense now, kopeng?

Soldato
Except in both books and TV belters routinely kill inners deliberately for being inners. Also 40% of the human race is a fairly big crime and 2 TU Presidents were accessories before the fact to said crime. Got no problem with Drummer or the idea of the TU just that the balance is wrong. Feels like the Nazi's lost but Mussolini and Franco got top jobs in NATO++++

Soldato
Except in both books and TV belters routinely kill inners deliberately for being inners.
What, and you don't think Inners do the exact same thing? How do you think this kaka felota got started?
Ere da same tim, da Inyalowda du slaves fo Beltalowda, unte push imalowda fo da edge fo peng, fore abandon imalowda to die....

No-one is a complete hero, here, not even Holden. Certainly not anyone who ends up with power, but that's just how life goes. The way it went with the Beltalowda is just good sense, so they're finally with you instead of against.

Soldato
With the Inners it was more like the typical uncaring crappy-ness of corporations and Governments squashing the small guy for a buck which would include their own citizens too. Mars killed Martians testing the protomolecule, corporations used people indiscriminately as tools.

Individually and as groups the Belters show a much greater degree of hostility across the spectrum and far more targeted. Even Drummer is happy to kill to show political will.

I'm not claiming a definitive view more a personal perspective. I think the series is great just don't like that it element feels wrong.

edit: is there a belter patois translation tool for that lot by the way

Soldato
It doesn't matter if it's just a small percentage of Inners doing it, though. Most Inners carry the prejudices and enjoy the benefits by which the actual perpetrators validate their perpetration. They go about their business, knowing that they're stepping on Belter necks in order to achieve this.
By contrast, many Belters moan about their persecution, but comparatively few actually take militant action.

The 'wrong' feeling regarding the TU is understandable, but many characters feel that way, including Drummer. They're all still figuring things out and establishing boundaries, but certainly they could never carry on stepping on Belters as a daily way of life.

Unte ya, deya im wa belta translator. Go tenye wa vedi ere lingojam.com.

Soldato
Except most inners don't have it easy and the books and show make that clear one of the themes repeatedly made is about understanding others perspectives. Billions of people on Earth lived on Basic, no job, no prospects (50% of the population springs to mind - pop 30Bn). Bobbie's perspective on the hopelessness of life on Earth for many with no options is key to this. She recognises that she has misrepresented life on Earth as being cushy not having to work when in fact the opposite is true and they live in a state of despair.
We glimpse Baltimore which is every bid as bad as the worst of the Belt and when repeated in other cities orders of magnitudes larger than the entire Belt population. In some respects the belters have it better than billions of people on Earth and what we see is a victim culture that recognises no ones suffering but there own. Which works both ways of course.

It's ok to kill so many on Earth when statistically so many of the dead are worse off than Belters, and in no way shape or form to blame and their benefit from the structural relationship is hardly clear.

Anyway getting to the bit in book 7 where change is afoot. Not sure if the TV is covering book 7, 8 and 9.

Soldato
Thing is, some Inners and a good many Earthers have hard lives, but they still get Basic and they don't have to worry about The Powers That Be taking away their food and water or stopping their air (or the ever-present threat to them from simple accidents) in order to force compliance.

And no, it's not OK to kill people on Earth, as Belters aren't stupid - They recognise that many of the things they need to survive either come directly from, or originate on, Earth. They simply want a fair share of that at a fair price, in return for the work they do.
You seem to have forgotten the great many Belters that also suffered under the Free Navy, too.

I doubt they'll cover the later books, due to the age factor.

Soldato
Thing is, some Inners and a good many Earthers have hard lives, but they still get Basic and they don't have to worry about The Powers That Be taking away their food and water or stopping their air (or the ever-present threat to them from simple accidents) in order to force compliance.

And no, it's not OK to kill people on Earth, as Belters aren't stupid - They recognise that many of the things they need to survive either come directly from, or originate on, Earth. They simply want a fair share of that at a fair price, in return for the work they do.
You seem to have forgotten the great many Belters that also suffered under the Free Navy, too.

I doubt they'll cover the later books, due to the age factor.
In interviews they said they may visit the later books in a few years time when the cast is old enough to represent themselves without cheap prosthetics

Soldato
Doesn't seem that long since the last series finished (it might be, I've not checked). Is the Martian guy completely out of it now? Can't watch trailer as putting kids to bed.

Soldato
Yeah, he’s out. Don’t want to spoil anything if people haven’t watched season 5.
Sorry I see, I meant due to his reputation. Wasn't sure how much of the new series was filmed before he was fired. (I've no idea how tv series work like that, wasn't sure if they started recording a series before the previous one has finished airing).

Soldato
Sorry I see, I meant due to his reputation. Wasn't sure how much of the new series was filmed before he was fired. (I've no idea how tv series work like that, wasn't sure if they started recording a series before the previous one has finished airing).

Without wanting to spoil it for others, I’ll hide it in a spoiler tag

Alex, the Martian, played by Cas Anvar, won’t be in season 6, due to off screen allegations his character was killed off at the end of season 5

Back
Top Bottom