The Expanse

Soldato
I would watch is on their steaming service but still no update on when they are releasing on that.

The wait is bad enough but the silence is pathetic attempt and shows contempt for any fan outside the US.

Bezos is effecting his investment by doing this as come release there will be very few who haven't just streamed it.

Soldato
Bezos is effecting his investment by doing this as come release there will be very few who haven't just streamed it.

Hardly, most people are quite happy to wait for shows to arrive on streaming services these days, especially with the abundance of other stuff to watch in the meantime.

Soldato
Happy whilst in production, a few month delay is fine but this is probably going to be 12 month plus wait for having the audacity to live in the UK.

Yes a lot will wait but I would bet a large portion will have streamed by now, not that we can ever settle the arguement with facts :p

Man of Honour
Hardly, most people are quite happy to wait for shows to arrive on streaming services these days, especially with the abundance of other stuff to watch in the meantime.

I'm one of those ! I'm quite content to wait, I have a truck load of games, books and tv shows to make my way through in the meantime and tbh, the series isnt going to disappear from the planet and I'm not intending on dying anytime soon and even if I did I'd be dead then and not care anyway. So I'm not in any rush, when it comes around I'll watch it immediately but my life doesnt suffer if it takes 18 months instead of 18 days to show up.

Associate
the expanse blu-rays are all region free and can be bought off amazon uk or ebay without having to pay import tax. as for downloads to best of my knowledge they are the broadcast version so they edited out the bad language, where blu-ray are uncut lot of extra dialog. also I suspect from when I watch it off Netflix that they also used the HD Broadcast version compare to the uncut blu-rays. what I remember from around the time when the expanse was cancel is that Netflix at the time did say that they would not renew their rights to the expanse that were due to expire in September so that amazon could pick the show up with all seasons in there catalogue, so sometime before season 4 release season 1-3 would appear on amazon maybe in there uncut form as when the news hit that amazon had pick it up, the producer's said that the restriction that they had for broadcast tv where lifted so more language, sex, gory, violence etc can be added keeping it bit more true to the source materiel. as with other season they had to tone it down and then edit for broadcast hence why when you watch blu-ray and compare it to tv broadcast they extra words here and there that are not in the tv broadcast version.

Man of Honour

My experience has been the opposite, the younger generations seem to care a little less but then there is probably more new to them content versus those 30 and upwards who've probably seen a lot of the content on most of these sites a dozen times already and less entertained by some of the mass produced ****.

That isn't to say they'll have all acquired it via "other" means but certainly a lot who aren't just happy to wait even if they end up waiting and ultimately they'll become more disenchanted and increasing numbers will start to use some of the less legal services.

Soldato
the expanse blu-rays are all region free and can be bought off amazon uk or ebay without having to pay import tax.

Amazon UK? As someone posted on page 7 of the thread; UK BD release is Nov 2019. Unless you meant to put Amazon US.

Anyway, I wondered about this; people not wanting to wait for it to appear on Amazon, they could buy the BD from the US.

So I had a look on the US Amazon for season 3 BD, and the product details have it as region A/1, which is US.

You're right about eBay though; it's on there as region free. Makes me wonder what the point of having regional BDs is?

For a worldwide release, then sure, it makes sense if something is region free. Season 3 of The Expanse is yet to air for the majority of the world; so why is there a region free BD?

Associate
Amazon UK? As someone posted on page 7 of the thread; UK BD release is Nov 2019. Unless you meant to put Amazon US.

Anyway, I wondered about this; people not wanting to wait for it to appear on Amazon, they could buy the BD from the US.

So I had a look on the US Amazon for season 3 BD, and the product details have it as region A/1, which is US.

You're right about eBay though; it's on there as region free. Makes me wonder what the point of having regional BDs is?

For a worldwide release, then sure, it makes sense if something is region free. Season 3 of The Expanse is yet to air for the majority of the world; so why is there a region free BD?

well I put both as season 1 on amazon uk now, 2 is pre-order until 29 October 2018 and 4 November for season 3, but on ebay all three season are there to buy now and I can confirm that all three season are region free as I got them.

Soldato
I noticed today at work we're processing orders for Expanse S2 as a new release.

Expanse S1 was only two months ago so i'd imagine we're gonna get S3 before year end.

Soldato
well I put both as season 1 on amazon uk now, 2 is pre-order until 29 October 2018 and 4 November for season 3, but on ebay all three season are there to buy now and I can confirm that all three season are region free as I got them.

Not disputing the legitimacy of region free BDs; I'm just surprised region free season 3 BD exists at this time. On Amazon US it's region locked and the UK release date for season 3 BD on Nov 4th, is 2019, not 2018.

What is the point of having regional releases if someone can just buy it region free much earlier?

The point of region locking was to stop people buying DVDs or BDs from another region and watching them before the release in their own region; yet here we are with region free BDs before the regional UK release dates. In the case of season 3, a whole year before.

I noticed today at work we're processing orders for Expanse S2 as a new release.

Expanse S1 was only two months ago so i'd imagine we're gonna get S3 before year end.

Yeah, season 1 was August release; season 2 is end of this month, but season 3 is November 2019, not 2018.

I did wonder if Amazon made a mistake with the year; but, HMV have season 2 on their site, with a release date of October 29th, which is consistent with the release date on Amazon. There is no mention of season 3 though. If it the release date is supposed to be 4th November 2018, I'd expect to see it on there.

One thing is for certain; from home media releases to streaming, the whole thing is a mess.

Associate
I think the reason why some production company when releasing a tv show on blu-ray set them as region free is to cut the cost down with only having the one masters instead of master for each different regions. show's I know for sure are region free are supernatural, killjoy, the last ship, the expanse, the 100 and marvel agents of shield, but there are many other show I suspect are region free but are not advertise. because it cheap to use region free masters and simple print front covers in different region languages.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think the reason why some production company when releasing a tv show on blu-ray set them as region free is to cut the cost down with only having the one masters instead of master for each different regions. show's I know for sure are region free are supernatural, killjoy, the last ship, the expanse, the 100 and marvel agents of shield, but there are many other show I suspect are region free but are not advertise. because it cheap to use region free masters and simple print front covers in different region languages.

Surely the cost of that (having several masters) is negligible/non existent when you're talking about digital media?

Commissario
Surely the cost of that (having several masters) is negligible/non existent when you're talking about digital media?
Not for Blu-ray or DVD.

You have the cost of authoring the distinct version of the disc, the cost of QC'ing it, then the cost of replicating it.
Every region coded master has to pass full QC and if you're region locking them you typically try to put region appropriate trailers and additional content on them.

You effectively end up paying twice for masters (and QC on them) to use, which is usually several thousand pounds* assuming you don't introduce any errors, whilst potentially losing some quite hefty bulk replication savings**, even if you don't do all the replication in one facilty you've saved the cost of the mastering and pre replication QC.

It's much the same reason many DVD's were produced that could be sold anywhere in Europe, often with all the necessary ratings logos on them (although sometimes they did separate screen prints for the discs as well as inserts for the cases).

Some of the DVD companies have been doing this for 20 odd years, as pal 50 meant that it was often a big money saver to make masters that could be used for both the UK/Ireland (r2) and Australia (r4).

*I think simply getting the master physically made (no authoring or content changes) is something like £500-1k.

**There are some very significant savings to be made at certain points in the replication process, for some small runs for example it can be cheaper to do 1.5x as many as you want and potentially scrap a large portion of the run, for really big runs the cost saving is likely to be less per unit, but even if it's just a penny or two over a run of say 5 million discs that's a lot.

Caporegime
Fair enough, I'd assumed it would be a bit simpler these days for blu-ray/HD formats as the main content is pretty much unchanged but I guess you make a good point re: all that other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom