• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The first "proper" Kepler news Fri 17th Feb?

Permabanned
We differ then, because I love gaming in 3D. I have been going through my old games and the replay value is as though they had never been played.
Why have a 3D monitor and don't care about 3D? Seems a waste.

Absolutley, I love nvidia 3D vision and it is because of this I wait for Kepler, I'm using a gtx580 at the moment and althought the 7970 is more powerful it would feel like a downgrade to me. Long live 3D. All those with 7970's enjoy your card and don't worry to much what nvidia do.

Soldato
The answers are all there IMO.

Nvidia announced their Kepler road map absolutely ages ago, showing that they would have nothing high end until late this year.

Now whether or not that was done through arrogance (actually thinking AMD would not be competing) is any one's guess. However, as I strongly suspect these technologies take absolutely ages to master.

Which would mean to me that no matter how much Nvidia want Kepler done now it just isn't ready. Remember, they had no intention of bringing out any new high end parts until the end of this year. It was solely their intention to bring out low and mid range solutions to be put into laptops and mobile devices. Which makes sense. As boring as it sounds that is where the money is. That is where you want to be firmly involved if you want to fund bigger projects.

AMD have plenty of bread and butter foundation products. Sure, so hardly any one at an enthusiast level will be very enthused by Llano, but the fact is that it doesn't matter what we think as we are the minority. Thousands if not millions of Llano chips are laptop bound, meaning huge contracts with OEMs. Llano will accelerate AMD to super stardom IMO. If only for the fact that for once there is a CPU that out of the box can actually run some games with nothing more than the APU you slap into your socket.

This is huge in the gaming laptop world, where only around 5% of laptops were capable of running games. We look at the spec, anything with Intel GMA is automatically a loud groan and "well I won't be playing games on that !".

Llano however? £400 buys you a laptop that is more than capable of low res gaming. Something up until now was dominated by Alienware with their M11x.

So yes, sorry for waffling on and pointing out all of the boring things, but it's these things that make or break a company. Nvidia know this only too well, which would highly probably be why they are not rushing to get out the high end Keplers.

I just don't see how when you road map a product that you can short cut it by six whole months and have it to market. They have also pointed out how yields are low due to wafers and so on, which would only stall Kepler even further. There's no point rushing to market with a product you can't supply.

Soldato
Firstly let's take note of the translated title.

NVIDIA comes in eight Kepler's April? - AMD again in March?

Note ?

In other words they have nothing better to do than speculate and guess.

Associate
I think you are right, October/November for the real performance increase, by which time I would expect the ATI 8000 series to be creeping out. I think nvidia have missed out this year, the only thing keeping them going are "the rumours"

Soldato
the rumour i`ve been hearing for a while now is the first `kepler` is simply a die shrink of what Nv have now - the `real` kepler will be H2 this year....

That's not a rumour at all. It just goes along perfectly with the road map Nvidia released themselves.

EVERYTHING else you have read, heard, seen is all speculation.

As per usual Nvidia are being tight lipped and people are just pulling facts and figures from their rusty sheriff's badges.

Soldato
What an anticlimax to this thread... Still no Kepler, still no solid info on Kepler, still no eta about anything Kepler, still waiting for Kepler:(

Soldato
the rumour i`ve been hearing for a while now is the first `kepler` is simply a die shrink of what Nv have now - the `real` kepler will be H2 this year....

That's already out...

It's called GT6xxM (mobile) series, and is basically die-shrunk Fermi from 40nm to 28nm. It was done to reduce power consumption for Fermi architecture mobile GPUs and as nVidia's test bench for 28nm process.

The fact that die-shrunk Fermi has taken the GT6xx moniker has prompted the speculation that Kepler GPUs will be called GTX7xx.

Back
Top Bottom