The Grand Tour

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
I know there's product placement in TGT, but that episode felt a little bit like a Ford advert. Not just because it was entirely Ford products featuring, there was something intangible...

On a separate note, I don't know why this Ford winning Le Mans in 1966 is such a big deal. To my mind, it's an enormous international company taking on a small player (who'd had success in racing) because the boss didn't like how Enzo didn't simply roll over and fall for his army of legal people's ploy. The race itself doesn't feel legendary either. Ford turned up with 8 GT40s, in the P5.0+ (prototype, >5.0L displacement) class. That class had only 11 cars in it. The Ferrari 330 P3 was in a lower class P5.0 (prototype, <=5.0L displacement). That class had only 8 cars. Other classes participating were just much slower outright, so barring catastrophe for everyone else, wouldn't expect an overall win.

8 cars of 19 - more than 40% of entrants. It's not exactly the underdog story claimed.

I should probably add that I like Ford - I'd very much like a Mustang if I was in the position...

I see the fun police are moaning about Hammond saying that eating ice cream is a bit gay.

These people need to get it in their head, it's not on the BBC any more, they have a free reign and are not going to be PC any more, that's just not them. It was one little joke. Why let it bother you so much? The internet is a dangerous place for the **********. Offence everywhere they turn.

I see the fun police are moaning about Hammond saying that eating ice cream is a bit gay.

These people need to get it in their head, it's not on the BBC any more, they have a free reign and are not going to be PC any more, that's just not them. It was one little joke. Why let it bother you so much? The internet is a dangerous place for the **********. Offence everywhere they turn.

What was the joke about?
I thought it might be Finland related and some Politician had said it!

Grown men that eat ice cream are gay

Some people were morning he said their children are gay, clearly they didn't read/watch it properly as he said 'grown men'. Stupid people just wanting to jump on the band wagon and moan.

It was decidedly bizarre - since when has eating ice creams been a gay activity?

I could understand it if the joke was relating to being gay for driving an MX5 or something with a bit of history to it, something everyone understands etc.

I think that's why it has got people's backs up a bit more than it otherwise deserves - it just seemed a bit... I don't know, out of place? He may as well have just sat and said 'haha gay people' for all the depth of comedy involved.

Basically Hammond said that he didn't eat ice cream because he was straight, insinuating that only gay men eat ice cream. Now he's being accused of homophobia.

I obviously know that but was there a news story that made him say it because the Finnish audience seemed to get it?
They've said things in all the episodes that the audience has got but we the TV audience haven't because it's a local news item.

Regardless of whether it's offensive or not, it felt like a contrived thing to put in the script just to get people saying "hey look these guys are still edgy".

The entire series of studio material has been a bit of a let down to be honest, they can't do the "interview a celebrity and put them around the track" thing and so instead of cutting the show to 45 minutes there's this need to draw out the studio pieces but ultimately they aren't funny and they go on for too long.

It's not Finland specific. It is just a bizarre view Hammond thinks is true.

As for audience laughing, they were laughing at everything. Also I don't get how the audience is getting (and laughing at) some of the very British references that even a lot of Brits will find hard to get.

Regardless of whether it's offensive or not, it felt like a contrived thing to put in the script just to get people saying "hey look these guys are still edgy".

The entire series of studio material has been a bit of a let down to be honest, they can't do the "interview a celebrity and put them around the track" thing and so instead of cutting the show to 45 minutes there's this need to draw out the studio pieces but ultimately they aren't funny and they go on for too long.

I skip the studio parts due to them being naff.

It was decidedly bizarre - since when has eating ice creams been a gay activity?

I could understand it if the joke was relating to being gay for driving an MX5 or something with a bit of history to it, something everyone understands etc.

I think that's why it has got people's backs up a bit more than it otherwise deserves - it just seemed a bit... I don't know, out of place? He may as well have just sat and said 'haha gay people' for all the depth of comedy involved.

It was a joke that's all. Not everyone likes every comedian and the jokes they make. Some will fine it funny, some won't.

Jokes like that usually involve some form of observation/stereotype, he may as well have said "see that <random thing> that's gay isn't it". I can understand why people are complaining, at best it's completely baseless.

Back
Top Bottom