The Grand Tour

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
[TW]Fox;30356929 said:
I'm no grand tour fanboy, I said last night for example that the first Namibia episode seemed to be just driving around on sand...

Yeah, the first part was poor. Some good bits in the second half. I think their attempt to be polished and aim to please international audiences rather than the way it used to just happen is strangling what this could be.

Hmmm so complaints about the lack of any mentioning of filling up with fuel and actually in the next episode not only is the fuel consumption explained but they also show Clarkson filling it up.

We are quick to moan eh :p

[TW]Fox;30357497 said:
Hmmm so complaints about the lack of any mentioning of filling up with fuel and actually in the next episode not only is the fuel consumption explained but they also show Clarkson filling it up.

We are quick to moan eh :p

I just thought that the entourage of vans that follow them had all the commodoties they need.

Nah, not getting/feeling it really. Seems they are trying to build into a new flow, but so far for me it has missed the target. I think Top Gear will come back stronger with Evans gone, I don't think the last series was that bad, certainly not as bad as our horse **** media sought to make out, better than the Grand Tour for me, though neither show is close to the finished article.

Part 2 was definitely a bit better but still not really feeling it

I think the general idea of a special in the old school top gear sense is just a bit old now. Maybe if it's left for a while and some more imaginative locations /activities thought up it'll recapture what it used to have.

Still, understand why it was done - but I'd probably just have preferred more regular episodes

I enjoyed episodes 1 and 3-6 despite the studio sections feeling a bit flat/forced. Episode 2 (Jordan) was different than they would normally do and I didn't think it worked very well.

The biggest disappointment for me was the Namibia section with the same tired "oh dear an angle grinder set fire to my car" fake crap which is utterly un-needed. For me it's the "scripting" which has taken a dive in quality. If you did that 1000 mile trip then things would naturally happen along the way (faults/breakdowns etc) which they showed but then they feel the need to add extra "comedy/drama" for effect and it's just not working for me.

I thought the best two bits of the series so far has been James' GT40/Ferrari P3 section and the Italian "cultural" trip when Hammond brought the Dodge, but then the scripting doesn't feel as good as before.

I still thought it was better than the new TG in most places but I think it needs to rely less on a scripted "incidents" and just allow the natural comfortable banter the 3 presenter have to be shown more.

Just watched the double parter, it was ok but kind of went nowhere. A grand journey across a country? Nope an hour on a beach, 45 mins on a bumpy road and then a bit that was a bit too scripted.

Still ok, but closer to the Indian special rather then Bolivia special.

A mixed season all in all, first ep was great and then it plummeted before gradually getting back to decent, I hope it was more due to rushing production rather then a lack of skill.

It's all too forced and scripted. TG was the same but it never felt as obvious. I like them to have their own thing going and not scripting everything to a point where it feels like watching a movie and you know well enough that all of it is fake/made up in advance.

Things like hamster getting shot etc, a little over the top. They really need to tone that down and simply stop thinking ahead so much and just be themselves and have fun. That's what made TG IMO.

I don't care about the scripting because I'm not a car fan and I treat TG & TGT like Last of The Summer Wine so I have really enjoyed the series.
The only thing I would like to see is how they get out of problems
eg When they got stuck in that fine sand and the throttle cable repair.
Obviously we know there is an entourage following them with spare parts and breakdown trucks but it would be nice to see.

I think I'm going to stop watching for now, I'll keep my eyes on the thread incase any 'omg this episode was amazing' comments jump out but in the meantime, it's just not doing it for me. Which is sad as I was a massive TG fan.

I watched episode 6 the other night, the bits in the studio was awesome. The end with May and the film about the 24 Hours of Le Mans was really good.

Nah, not getting/feeling it really. Seems they are trying to build into a new flow, but so far for me it has missed the target. I think Top Gear will come back stronger with Evans gone, I don't think the last series was that bad, certainly not as bad as our horse **** media sought to make out, better than the Grand Tour for me, though neither show is close to the finished article.

I know what you mean. For every part that hits there seem to be more that miss.. I know top gear has generally been like this in the past but I really thought they'd know what they want TGT to be rather than the weekly tests it appears to be at the moment. I really enjoyed the episode with the gt40 vs Ferrari bit but I feel that this is going to be top gear territory rather than TGT territory. It's almost like they are now painted into a corner and need to do the silly stuff. With Evans gone and a year in the bank as it were I think TG is going to be slot better and give give the petrol heads something more interesting to watch. I.e. Not quite 5th Gear nerdiness but not quite TGT silliness. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike TGT but I'm looking forward to watching TG aswell for some actual car stuff.

I quite enjoyed the latest episode (haven't seen part two yet) for the scenery alone. Namibia is on my bucket list. I'm quite able to put aside inconsistencies such as no gps or water but plenty of fuel, and the old gags of 'we'll just leave you here then' and just enjoy it for the entertainment.

I think if people want good scenery they should watch Planet Earth and save themselves the struggle of keeping Grand Tour switched on.

Oh you took something personal eh?

Weird defensive reaction.

Of course it was personal - it was my own opinion.

But I don't see the need to tell other people should behave or what they should enjoy as you seem to. If you don't like it then fine, but don't tell me what I should or shouldn't watch or what I should or shouldn't enjoy.

A 'struggle to keep it switched on'? Keep fighting those demons bro, we're all with you.

Back
Top Bottom