The " Hiper-Active " Club

Associate
I have good/bad experiences with Hiper. I owned a 480w Type-R one of the nice red sparkly ones :D and had that for about a year, then sent that on to a friend, where it "blew up" about 3 months ago, when I sold my old one to a friend, I bought a black Type-R Modular 580w and that is still going to this day, however it does run pretty hot with an overclocked opteron 170, 1950xt, raptor X, 4x512 sticks and dvd drive. About 2 months ago I also bout the 425w Quiet PC version for a server that I built which now runs 24/7 and the PSU runs quiet as a mouse and very cool. That is with AMD X2, 4 HDD. So I guess i'm still a hiper fan!

Associate
Cant remember exactly when i built my rig, however im sure my Hiper 580w Psu is pushing over 2 years old now. Maybe a bit more than that, but who knows where my Ocuk receipt is :D

Associate
My Hiper packed up during a power cut last night, so does that count? It lasted all of 33 months without any problems whatsoever, but i've no way of testing if it took the rest of my system with it. Can I still rma? ive got the receipt still but not a clue where the box it came in is.

Associate
Just thought I'd throw in my experience of the formidable Hiper Type-R 580 modular PSU, for over a year it powered the following system:

ECS KV2 Extreme motherboard
2x1GB DDR memory
Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Gainward Geforce 7800GS+ AGP
2x WD Raptor hard drives
7200rpm hard drive
DVDRW
Front panel LCD
3x80mm fans, 1x120mm fan

After an upgrade about 6 months ago, it was powering:

DFI LanParty UT CFX3200
2x1GB DDR
Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 3.0GHz
Geforce 8500GT
7200rpm hard drive
DVDRW
3x80mm fans, 1x120mm fan

That was then put to work folding 24/7 on the CPU and eventually the GPU too... (it's my secondary machine at this point)

Then I got crazy and added an 8800GS to it a few months ago, that was folding too, 24/7.

About a month ago I replaced the 8800GS with an 8800GT and then that was folding 24/7.

Right now, there's an 8800 Ultra in there with the 8800GT. Yes, that PSU is powering this machine:

DFI LanParty UT CFX3200
2x1GB DDR
Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 3.0GHz
Geforce 8800GT (@700/1750/2000MHz)
Geforce 8800 Ultra (@700/1750/2300MHz)
7200rpm hard drive
DVDRW
3x80mm fans, 1x120mm fan

It's folding 24/7 and has been good for a few weeks now, I've never had a single problem with it and it's rock solid. In total I've had it about two and a half years so far and it's really been hammered, to be fair.

Associate
Had mine two and a bit years. It was RMA'd recently when it started to make a high pitched sound . The only problem I had with it before this was that at one point in time there was a bit of vibration coming from the rear fan guard.I just pulled it out a bit with some pliers and it was fine.
It was the blue type R model. The chrome connectors and mirror casing looked great in my Antec Plusview.But when I swapped it out for a P182 the Hiper had to live in darkness :(
The RMA process was very quick.

Associate
Mine went boom last week (well, pffffttt to be accurate). Was working one night, when I tried booting up next morning nothing but a high pitched squealing and severe lack of workage.

Bought in March '06 to August '08. RIP.

Rather ironically, the £5 generic 500W PSU in the other computer is even older and still going strong.

Soldato
I'd like to add myself to this most exclusive of clubs!

I've owned a Hiper 580W Modular for about 2 years, no problems at all. Still using the 'packaging' as a PC bits 'n bobs toolbox too.

Associate
My Hiper 580W Modular decided to switch it'self on while the PC was shut down; the wife wondered what was happening to the PC as the lights all came ON:confused:
It then just shut off for good, luckily all the components survived. The unit was just over 3 years old; which I suppose is very good for a Hiper:D
The PC now has a HX520W in it;)

Associate
:(

I think my Hiper 580W has just let go on me.....

Perfect timing aswell with a big bike service coming round the corner!

PSU was making a very quiet buzzing noise, in a tone that sort of resembled an alarm. However that was only when it was switched off, when i was using the PC it was fine, and didnt skip a beat.

Went to turn it on this morning and nothing at all....
I also noticed that when the pc is off there is no more buzzing noise :D

The main power switch at the back is on and red, however no life at all when i try to power on the pc!

I guess it was inevitable that it was going to happen :(

Back
Top Bottom