The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Oooh yeah, but he looks to be genuine, his ZP shows he's ZADA approved. Close race anyway, top 18 riders all within 3s and he also had a good team around him (6 riders in top 25).

There's been far more uproar about the german and dutch races, the German winner was a known 'cheater' who isn't ZADA approved and shows 18 strikes from races where his 5 minute power has exceeded 5w/kg and race organisers have DQ him. Zwift ignored this and let him win, any other race organiser wouldn't have. The dutch race was ruined by a zpower rider riding away from the field with the winner sitting on his wheel, they nearly caught the winner but he still got an unfair advantage from someone 'cheating' (who was rightly removed from end results). :o

There's quite a bit of blacklash as this is one of the first race 'series' that Zwift themselves have got involved with, promoted well and actually run (when before they've kept well away from racing), they announced fairly ok rules but then some of the individual country races had different rules, while others have not applied the same rules to results. The general consensus is that the race admins had very little experience of running races and finalising results... Hopefully things will get better in future years but with Zwift themselves getting involved they can see first hand the problems admins and race organisers have, so will hopefully be more proactive in providing them more tools required to administrate & lead rides. Hopefully! :)

RaceWBR didn't pick up a single national jersey, although we where close in numerous races. The Polish race was supposedly funny to watch as 90% of the race where the same Team Poland team, riding for each other, but they still didn't win! :D

https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-nats-results/

Roady, I'll just be doing some workouts being given to me by my coach but will still endeavour to go outside. Won't be doing zwift. I spend enough on cycling as it is. I'm happy to be a loner.
*violins* ;)

There's numerous newer zwift 'competitors' out there who'll all do 'free' accounts for a month (or like Zwift, limited distance/time) if you wanted some distractions. As yours is coach lead I imagine he'll push you towards structured workouts on another platform than zwift anyway. Also you'll ride with your vectors on your road machine for power & just be controlling resistance with gears?

Last edited:
Soldato
*violins* ;)

There's numerous newer zwift 'competitors' out there who'll all do 'free' accounts for a month (or like Zwift, limited distance/time) if you wanted some distractions. As yours is coach lead I imagine he'll push you towards structured workouts on another platform than zwift anyway. Also you'll ride with your vectors on your road machine for power & just be controlling resistance with gears?

Pretty much, I managed a 2hr30 turbo ride the other day watching V8 Supercars at fairly steady rate. Last evening was 1hour15 with dedicated intervals. I am using trainsharp who can export it into zwift but i'm happy enough using my Garmin, and yes I'll be using vectors/road machine. May consider a direct drive going forward. Can I get one on bike to work? :D

Soldato
Good willpower to put those times in. I struggle much over 2 hours even with Zwift as a distraction. Although this sunday I may challenge that as a clubmate (Chris Hopkinson) is starting his 'zwift world record' of most miles ridden in a week and have said I'll jump on for a bit at the start, he'll get a good tow to start off with that's for sure (40 club riders already signed up!).

Possibly b2w/c2w, surely they count as a 'cycling accessory'?! ;)

Nice, what where you watching? Friend I know just bought a new R8 V10 Plus Spyder... Collected it on the really bad snow day we had last week (Thursday!) so he had first hand experience on 'snow' mode! He was impressed with it, his 3rd R8 but his first of the new range with the new 610hp V10 lump in there.

I've only driven the original V8 version twice, he had his previous V8 tuned to somewhere around 580hp so imagine won't be much different to the V10 Plus he has now. He'll probably tune this one knowing him (want to be part of the '200 club' of the supercar owners club). Fun as an 'every day supercar' but with the Plus at 11mpg standard it really isn't any longer. Also I'd take the GT-R over it any day of the week, why own a 'supercar' if it just feels like any other Audi...! ;)

Not sure if his pics/videos are public but some good ones on his facebook page. He just got a Capristo exhaust fitted as he seems to love the titanium sounds. I've yet to hear the difference over 'standard' (which was still pretty incredible) but a twin turbo V10 is going to sound awesome whatever is bolted on the rear! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that went badly. I logged in early to have a warm up.

With the timer to event at 20 mins I thought I’d try rouvy to see if I preferred it. Opened the app and linked the trainer.

Went back to Zwift and didn’t realise I’d have to relink the trainer. Timer got to zero, everyone else move but me. Took about 90seconds before I worked it out and figured out how to fix.

Then tried to catch the group which killed me (on the plus side calibrating has helped as I hit 450w during this).

Ended up stopping after 12km as I was ******.

Plus my ass is still killing from the other night!

If you were in my shoes and using the bike purely for indoor use. Would you get a nice comfy seat like you get on the gym bikes or stick with what I have in the hope I adjust and therefore I’m prepared for it I do venture out.

Last edited:
Soldato
If tweaking the saddle height, tilt and fire/aft doesn't help then get a new saddle.

Saddle comfort is personal, but one that many like without spending a fortune, is the Charge Spoon. Can be under £20.

Soldato
Yeah I’ve seen that one recommended a lot.

I’m new to cycling though so don’t know if it’s worth just sticking with this to get my bum used to a small hard bit of plastic as a seat first as I imagine virtually all with be uncomfortable to a new starter.

Then Once I’ve got used to it start trying out new ones.

Soldato
Stick with it and move around more/stand regularly to begin with to restore blood flow. Try sitting further back/forward and adjusting your hip angle. Bearing some decent weight through your feet and to a lesser extent hands will help.

You'll get used to it, especially if it's still the first few handful of rides you've done.

If it's actually painful and not just mild discomfort seek a new saddle.

Soldato
Went back to Zwift and didn’t realise I’d have to relink the trainer. Timer got to zero, everyone else move but me. Took about 90seconds before I worked it out and figured out how to fix.
Yeah ANT+ devices are a bit of a pain like that, my previous Vortex I used to pair on BT to my mobile to calibrate then to switch back to ANT+ so Zwift detected it I'd have to power cycle it and occasionally the laptop. Damn annoying! :(

Then tried to catch the group which killed me (on the plus side calibrating has helped as I hit 450w during this).

Ended up stopping after 12km as I was ******.
Haha good threshold endurance training!

Hate to say it but I did similar last night... Raced home from work fairly paced but effort to get back and on Zwift ASAP so I could get a session in before baby bed-time at 6.30pm (will get my turbo back out into the garage this weekend so this isn't so much of an issue!) ;)

By the time I jumped on (faffing around, changing & setup) I'd cooled down a little too much and also missed the start of the training ride I was planning on (WBR Pedalplay). I used the late join feature and pedal assist worked dumping me in the middle of the pack as they where in the middle of quite a tough interval. Me not realising this eased up so the pedal assist didn't slingshot me through them and off the front... I must have eased off too much as by the time I realised I'd been dumped out the back like a stone, I ramped up but I was 20s down before I could pick up speed. I hadn't had much of a warmup (slightly too long since my ride home from work) so was immediately at threshold power levels. Ross Hetherington one of my RaceWBR teammates (I've ridden quite a few races with) dropped back to sweep/keep me but we where down at 30s at that point. I was unable to hold the 5w/kg's he was outputting so several times had to spin and recover on his wheel while only being able to sustain 4.0-4.5w/g chase intervals. The PedalPlay group where doing power pyramids at this stage over/around 3.8w/kg so we where not making any ground due to the draft/blob affect and it being flat London. :o

We picked up a couple of more dropped riders as the group entered a recovery interval and another 2 riders dropped back to help tow the 1 minute gap - 6 of us formed a good chase group and had closed to within 20s before the next intervals and the blob was off again! The gap had then grown to 1min 20s before the next recovery, which we then closed to 50s before getting dropped again. Reaching the end of the session at this stage we called it off and I easy pedalled a bit before warming down. Basically 30 minutes at threshold and sub-threshold for me at this point (250W & 170bpm). A much harder session than I'd planned! :o

Soldato
Good willpower to put those times in. I struggle much over 2 hours even with Zwift as a distraction. Although this sunday I may challenge that as a clubmate (Chris Hopkinson) is starting his 'zwift world record' of most miles ridden in a week and have said I'll jump on for a bit at the start, he'll get a good tow to start off with that's for sure (40 club riders already signed up!).

Possibly b2w/c2w, surely they count as a 'cycling accessory'?! ;)

Nice, what where you watching? Friend I know just bought a new R8 V10 Plus Spyder... Collected it on the really bad snow day we had last week (Thursday!) so he had first hand experience on 'snow' mode! He was impressed with it, his 3rd R8 but his first of the new range with the new 610hp V10 lump in there

Yeah, it didn't go quickly, depending on weather I may have to do 3 hours tomorrow...

I don't think they do, tried new garmin headunit and that isn't.

V8 supercars is an australian touring cars series.

Soldato
WBR Teammate and all round UMCA legend Chris 'Hoppo' Hopkinson starts his world record attempt for the furthest miles on Zwift in 7 days this sunday at midday (trying to beat his current 1952 miles in 116 hours world record). Have said I'll jump on with around 50 others of the club, we'll be riding the Volcano flat loop. He's planning on an insane 742 laps! :o

Anyone on feel free to jump in and do some group towing, will be several strong Zwift racers and distance riders there so will be an easy way to blast through some miles if you can stick in the group! Will be lots of fun and banter I'm sure! Many of us intending to jump on a couple of times during the week to help tow him around and give him a wheel whenever possible. He's a machine anyway, done the RAAM solo numerous times (& first British rider to complete it solo!)! :cool:

Yeah, it didn't go quickly, depending on weather I may have to do 3 hours tomorrow...

I don't think they do, tried new garmin headunit and that isn't.

V8 supercars is an australian touring cars series.
Yeah I'm thinking turbo tomorrow too as outdoors looks a miserable 70% chance of heavy rain all morning with 25mph winds. Warm though, 11 degrees! Will need to move the turbo back to the garage as too warm in the house! :o

Ahhh, hadn't heard of that series. Used to enjoy a bit of BTCC but not something I've really followed in recent years! Supercar version sounds expensive knowing how most touring car drivers behave lol :D

Soldato
Missed any race start times when I eventually got on saturday morning with limited time, jumped into Garneau Sportive Series 'Fondo' ride. Took the start easy as I hadn't warmed up rolling out in around 230th place. I know a Sportive/Fondo isn't a race but I and many more used it a little like one (;)). Caught and settled into a good big 3w/kg group before we hit Leith hill. First time I've ridden it and although it was tough I really enjoyed it! Not really much different to Box hill, various changes in gradient really mean to ride it well you need to learn it. I rode the bottom too hard, had to ease but had recovered before the top steeper section. Our group was much thinned with only the strongest left for the next climb which was Box hill itself. I was struggling at this stage and having to pace myself so lost the group, did catch a load of riders towards the top and over the top ramp (which I always smash!) but over a minute down on my PR. Rolled through in around 38th place. Great ride and really good fun as there where so many riders of mixed abilities riding it so lots of different groups to jump in and out of.

WBR Teammate and all round UMCA legend Chris 'Hoppo' Hopkinson starts his world record attempt for the furthest miles on Zwift in 7 days this sunday at midday (trying to beat his current 1952 miles in 116 hours world record). Have said I'll jump on with around 50 others of the club, we'll be riding the Volcano flat loop. He's planning on an insane 742 laps! :o
Rode a couple of hours with Hoppo yesterday after many who'd started with him where just leaving as he reached his first 100 miles. Watching the rugby and towing him at 2.5-3w/kg for a couple of hours was a damn good workout! Some really good base volume which I think I really need right now. He's in good spirits and we where getting loads of help from a fairly busy Watopia. Although damn hard to tow someone with so many riders and drafts around, occasionally he'd drop me and other times I'd distance him. But really good training due to the sustained efforts and varying power levels of each.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1448097399

Around 75 Zwift miles in two days. Legs actually felt/feeling good, but may say otherwise tomorrow! ;)

Soldato
Just a quickie... what is my cheapest option for a turbo I can link directly up with my Elemnt Bolt to do training plans etc. without the need for a PC? I know the Snap would do the trick but at £500 it is a bit spendy.

Soldato
My Honeywell HT900e's have 2 pin plugs :p easy enough to re-wire them. I'm keen to see how the airflow is, definitely feels a lot more focused than my 20" floor fan, quiet too not that noise is an issue for me with the KickR droning away.

Soldato
Mark Cavendish was riding the Volcano last night. Like a boss, obviously.
He was on quite regularly through the winter when recovering! Even saw him and Mark Renshaw riding together at one point. Did follow/stalk them to see if they where practising lead outs, but the power figures & speed said otherwise.

My Honeywell HT900e's have 2 pin plugs
Doh! What dodgy website did you order them from!? The place named after a rainforest? ;)

Soldato
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08...pport-fe-c-trainer-support-in-elemntbolt.html

You should be able to use any FE-C compatible trainer (from autumn last year it was opened up, you used to only be able to control Wahoo trainers).
Nice one Roady. TBH I'm never going to spend mega money on a trainer so the Tacx Satori Smart seems ideal. I'm used to varying my own resistance to meet a specific power output anyway from using my Cycleops Mag on Zwift and it dips in just under £200 notes.

Back
Top Bottom