The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
Well I finally got everything set up today. At least I think I’ve done it all properly. It seems stable enough.

I’ve been on holiday in the Lake District and used the static bike in there as a warm up on hilly programmes and was ok doing 60 mins.

It didn’t prepare me for Zwift though. I chose the hilly map and was knackered after about 5 minutes.

The bike doesn’t seem to change gear very well. Not sure if I should take it to a shop for a service. The rear shifter seems to work ok but the front is pretty ropey.
Just get that sucker in the big ring and give it all you have

Soldato
The Mad March ride today was postponed because of the weather so the organisers setup a Zwift event on the 'Three Sisters' course. Around 220 riders entered and it was also my first event on Zwift. I was impressed with the way Zwift handles the joining and loging process - pretty slick !
Results below : I got 23rd, averaging around 270w for 1hr 28mins (3.4 w/kg). Although, there were some dodgy rider weights and trainer setups ahead of me.

26738032948_4488c26006_b.jpg

Soldato
Just cross off anyone using zwiftpower.

As for changing weights I’m sure people do it but meh. As long as your competitive it’s all good. Bigger more powerful riders don’t get enough credit on the flat I think. Too easy to roll in a huge bunch at silly speed.

Permabanned
Bought myself a Tacx Flow this afternoon, setup in the basement but housemate was going to bed so I only had a go for 6-7 minutes. Will have a proper go on it tomorrow at a more reasonable hour after work.

Can already tell it's going to be hard work and very hot downstairs so will be getting a fan or two setup.

Mate has recommended doing the short FTP test first and then doing the four week FTP builder as being a good place to start. Thoughts?

Associate
Bought myself a Tacx Flow this afternoon, setup in the basement but housemate was going to bed so I only had a go for 6-7 minutes. Will have a proper go on it tomorrow at a more reasonable hour after work.

Can already tell it's going to be hard work and very hot downstairs so will be getting a fan or two setup.

Mate has recommended doing the short FTP test first and then doing the four week FTP builder as being a good place to start. Thoughts?
I’d personally do an FTP test then look to do my own under/over intervals however the training sessions are good on zwift as the group sticks together

Soldato
I started off on a laptop with a second or third gen i7 and mobile graphics card. Suffered from slowdown when a lot of users on screen.

Moved to a desktop with a first gen i5, stuck some more ram in, SSD and GTX970 from the members market, output to a 32” TV with HDMI.
How do you find the FPS with your desktop setup? I've had a couple of ANT dropouts and also riding inside now means I'm pushing medium 1080p on an external 38" display of my 'good enough' laptop and it has started to get a bit choppy (previously 720p on 21" crappy TV). It does look fantastic though!

I've checked out Zwiftanalyser looking at my ANT signal drops and have an easy fix for that (powered USB hub attached to frame) but it's also made me look at framerates - average at 720p is around 20-25fps, average at 1080p is around 10-15fps. Not really good enough. That's with my i5 4200M (dual core 2.5ghtz which tends to run at 1.6-2.0), 4gb RAM and geforce 740M 2gb on an SSD. Unsure if the slowdown is RAM, CPU or GPU. Thinking it's GPU. My old desktop would be better spec if I rebuilt it (quad core 2.4ghtz, 6gb RAM & AMD 7970 3gb & SSD).
Roadie. Did another WBR race today and included in the results this time! 16th in B after a hard race, we had a group of 3 going hard dangling 8 seconds off the front of a larger group. Got within 4 seconds and I managed to jump over with 5km to go, two followed me and we pulled away from the chasers, rather sprint for 12th from a group of 5 and come 16th than a group of 20!
Good work and sounds like a good finish & result! I've been abusing myself in B races too and starting to feel like some similar results are on the horizon, to actually make some progress feels fantastic! :D
Probably if my turbo wasn't a road machine...
Ah, doh! Considering more Indoor/Zwifting?

The bike doesn’t seem to change gear very well. Not sure if I should take it to a shop for a service. The rear shifter seems to work ok but the front is pretty ropey.
Unless you know how to index & service yourself then a LBS visit is probably best. Replaced my bar tape on the weekend along with rebuilding my RD and reindexing, silky smooth now! Makes a huge difference to the trainers overall noise! :cool:

Evans Cycles 20% of Tacx Trainers

Not in the market myself as my Kickr is doing just fine but as the cold weather will eventually begin to pass...(please gawwwwd) those waiting/wanting to upgrade might benefit.

No idea how these prices compare elsewhere. DYOR.
Prices seem to be around £50-100 more than you can find online, obviously being able to use BC discount for a further 10% off would be ideal but think Evans' only accept that (or pricematch it) on RRP, not sale items?

For comparison Vortex's are £350 other places, £399 there. Flux's are £600 elsewhere, £699 there.

I also really need to get a phone holder as was holding my phone which meant I was sat more upright than I should be.
I've got the Cycleops sweat thong which has a carrier, it works well if you don't need to look at the phone much (generally use mine for food, tv remote & pebble). I've also got a Quadlock which is fantastic! Well recommended, just crazy high prices if you buy the specific case... Much cheaper to buy a universal and a cheapy £3 phone case to glue it to (I actually bought my samsung S5 case new, but my mount second hand with a broken iphone case) :)

The Mad March ride today was postponed because of the weather so the organisers setup a Zwift event on the 'Three Sisters' course. Around 220 riders entered and it was also my first event on Zwift. I was impressed with the way Zwift handles the joining and loging process - pretty slick !
Results below : I got 23rd, averaging around 270w for 1hr 28mins (3.4 w/kg). Although, there were some dodgy rider weights and trainer setups ahead of me.

26738032948_4488c26006_b.jpg
Great ride & results mate, well done! I wonder if any nutters actually went outside and rode the route... Wouldn't have been too bad on the main roads as imagine they'd be similar to here.

Bigger more powerful riders don’t get enough credit on the flat I think. Too easy to roll in a huge bunch at silly speed.
Actually the opposite, much easier to retain speed being a bigger rider on the flats. The little light guys are the ones who struggle, even on some of the hilly rides. Absolute power is key on Zwift until you do any of the long climbs. There's times now at 75kg and holding 3.5w/kg in groups isn't enough and I start to drift, the heavier guys pushing 3w/kg seemingly having an easier time.

Good if you don't already have much foundation and riding volume. Certainly start with an FTP test but if you have no experience of riding hard for 15-20 minutes then well worth doing a couple of sessions prior to the test to work out pacing. It hurts, regardless! :eek::D

Most of the 'builder' programs have quite a lot of volume and base work in them, for me already having that volume (commuting & weekend club rides) I found specific SST & power work more beneficial. I was also racing which gave me much of the top end intervals and threshold efforts (which most of the plans don't get to until week 2-3). Started plans a couple of times but the early parts of each where just 'junk' miles and a waste of time alongside my other riding.

Soldato
Hmmm good point, a 740M isn't exactly powerful, certainly not compared to the 7970 which I already have a spare one of (with a bit of troubleshooting, needs heatsink reattaching)...

My Zwift racing since friday:
  • WBR 2 laps Jungle Hilly - DQ(UPG). Raced this in C and although I knew I'd probably get DQ I figured I'd start in the second pen with the C's & D's getting an easier start and more likely to settle into a group. A ride to ease myself back into racing. The group was huge but as soon as we hit the climb after the bridge it became obvious I couldn't keep with them, the large group of 25-30 smashed to pieces with scattered small groups of riders all over. I settled in but drifted back and was dropped multiple times by small separate groups. Once in the jungle I was able to keep pace easier and a group of 4-5 quickly formed, we rolled around together but it became obvious things where not going to finish as a big bunch. We'd grown to a group of 15-20 before the final climb where again things where smashed apart when a handful broke free, I held myself in the largest chase group which stretched and split apart. I barely broke 450W in the sprint to the line but I was soundly beaten long before it. My finish time would've been good for 3rd/4th in C but obviously I was (rightly) DQ'd. 40 riders out of the 79 starters where filtered out of the results! My HRM dropped out loads. 238NP
  • WBR 1 Flat lap - 14th in B. Raced this one in the afternoon after doing 30 mins of a hard O/U interval session earlier in the day I had to cut short due to the little one. Huge effort from the start I surprisingly found myself just off the back of the huge lead A group. I was holding 4w/kg but knew I couldn't gain the group without blowing, I eased up and settled into the main mixed B & C chase group. Things ramped up towards the end and I sat in as long as possible, when things stretched out a couple of riders clipped off the front, I gave chase but couldn't catch them but did beat the rest of the group in a fairly long sprint hitting 550W+ and 193bpm. Happy with the result, felt strong but HR well into Z4 and even Z5 for the whole race. 288 NP!
  • WBR 3 Laps Volcano flat - 33rd in B. Racing well in this one, some big efforts but found myself mostly able to maintain around 3.5w/kg keeping myself in the middle of the main B chase pack. I had a couple of HRM drops, then a cadence drop before finally a trainer drop just into the last lap. Kicking hard to regain the group I did but this was followed by an even longer drop and the group had 20s on me. I eased at this point, dragging my laptop and ANT adaptor closer to me to avoid any more but I was really in no-mans land with only 1 rider within 1 minute of me. As he was a C I eased for him and rode the final lap with him, although he did bust out a long breakaway towards the line which I didn't quite close down with my 650W sprint. Good practice though! Group and riders I was with (for most of the race) I could've had a (hopefully) top 10 place in B, dammit! Maybe next time! 249NP.

Last edited:
Soldato
Feeling like I’m coming down with something but need to ride a bit now entered this rapha ride!

Did the WBR in C as I was feeling crappy and like I didn’t have much above FTP, just wanted a cruise at 250-260w really. I had a 25 min warm up but felt pretty flat and under the weather a bit.

The way the pack mixes up I’m not so keen on as you get some people up the road. The front split near the start but I didn’t try and stay with and waited for the group behind to catch which was A,B and C riders.

First lap I rolled easy towards the back of the group, had a dig up the hill out of the tunnel on London. Spread it out but it came back together.

Next lap coming out the tunnel sat on then with 300-400 to go kicked away, had one rider come with me who had done the same last lap. My plan was to carry a ton of speed over the top of the hill and pull time out on the descent, we got up to 8 seconds lead.

He gave me a bit of a turn, then I got back on the front & head down to the finish where he rolled me but we stayed away with 2-3 seconds back to the chasers so it was nice for tactics to kinda work.

Soldato
Well i had my first proper go at this last night. I've ended up using a firestick and casting it from my phone. Had a few slow downs but it generally ran ok.

Did the London flat loop for around 16km which took me around 30 minutes. You guys were right in that i never realised how much i'd sweat, definately need a fan and some kind of mat on the floor whilst i'm doing it in the house. It was enjoyable though.

Whilst i'm not expecting to be as powerful as a lot of you guys. @Berger you mention "cruising" at 250-260w. I had the bike on what i assumed was the toughest gear (big front cog/small back cog) and at around 70-80rpm which i'd considering a "cruising pace" i was only hitting 200w.

Is your cruising pace just a lot faster than mine or is it to do with the way your bike is geared?

Soldato
Also, i noticed that the bike leans slightly to the left when i'm on it. I can lean to the right to correct it but that then feels unnatural.

I've googled it and it seems to be common amongst Elite trainers, although the ones posting about it mainly refer to the wheel on models.

For those with DD turbos, how solid do they feel? They had a Tacx Flux setup in the Evans store and when touching the bike that felt really sturdy, mine has quite a bit of wobble. Not sure if thats down to the way i've set it up or if it's the trainer.

Soldato
Is your QR skewer done up tight?

A smart trainer will display power in zwift, otherwise you’ll need a power meter to display it for you :)

Interesting article on the US Zwift Champs, the winner 4.3wkg average, but he’s a lightweight 59kg! You’d struggle in a traditional road race at that weight against some big guys. They’d pump you in the wind and you’d likely get out sprinted too, unless you’re Caleb Ewen!

Soldato
Next lap coming out the tunnel sat on then with 300-400 to go kicked away, had one rider come with me who had done the same last lap. My plan was to carry a ton of speed over the top of the hill and pull time out on the descent, we got up to 8 seconds lead.

He gave me a bit of a turn, then I got back on the front & head down to the finish where he rolled me but we stayed away with 2-3 seconds back to the chasers so it was nice for tactics to kinda work.
Good work and tactics for the finish, very similar to mine. I usually find if I leave it to the final sprint that unless I've rested and sat in loads, along with being otherwise fairly rested, that I can't hit the 12+w/kg needed to beat most of the others. I just can't kick that hard! So my usual finish tactic is a long sprint from 600m out, or a breakaway like yours. Usually if I've done a lot of turns/work the group is quite reduced anyway and the 10+w/kg sprinters are not still around. My sprints are usually 7-8w/kg after that (and enough to beat 3/4 of riders)...

Interesting to see if you got DQ for that (racing as C when most of your others are B). In theory you should...! Most of the WBR races have the '2 pen' starts so the A & B's starting together before joining the C & D's out of the pen, it'll stay that way (mass start) to keep the events popular and to keep numbers up. During quieter times of day the races may only have 20-30 riders, with split starts the cat splits become selective as a bigger group of lower cat riders will be quicker than a small group of higher cat riders due to the zwift draft effect...

Whilst i'm not expecting to be as powerful as a lot of you guys. @Berger you mention "cruising" at 250-260w. I had the bike on what i assumed was the toughest gear (big front cog/small back cog) and at around 70-80rpm which i'd considering a "cruising pace" i was only hitting 200w.

Is your cruising pace just a lot faster than mine or is it to do with the way your bike is geared?
Good work, but you need some calibration! The gearing can have some effect but you shouldn'nt be able to crank your 'fastest' gear at 80rpm and only 200w!

For those with DD turbos, how solid do they feel? They had a Tacx Flux setup in the Evans store and when touching the bike that felt really sturdy, mine has quite a bit of wobble. Not sure if thats down to the way i've set it up or if it's the trainer.
Very solid. My Flux is loads more solid than my previous Vortex, although mounting/dismounting it can be slightly more unsteady as although it's significantly heavier the rear of the trainer is narrower so it's more like a 3 legged unit to balance. Certainly no flex/movement while I'm riding. My Vortex did have slightly 'off' legs so when on a firm surface it wouldn't quite sit totally level, but when on a training mat it kept it stable. It's well worth using a mat (& fans!) :cool:

Interesting article on the US Zwift Champs, the winner 4.3wkg average, but he’s a lightweight 59kg! You’d struggle in a traditional road race at that weight against some big guys. They’d pump you in the wind and you’d likely get out sprinted too, unless you’re Caleb Ewen!
Got a link? Who was the winner as that doesn't sound like much power (only a 250W avg!). Quite rightly he should've been nailed on the flats but if he had a good team around he'll have been able to dictate the race with any climbs being that light... Some of my light WBR teammates can hold some impressive W/kg on the longer climbs to really dictate races: Ross is 54kg, Liam is 70kg.

Soldato
Roady, I'll just be doing some workouts being given to me by my coach but will still endeavour to go outside. Won't be doing zwift. I spend enough on cycling as it is. I'm happy to be a loner.

Back
Top Bottom