The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Do you need to register with WBR for their races? I did one yesterday lunch (really good race actually) but I’m only in the unfiltered results on ZP (I am registered on ZP).

Associate
Smart trainer, HR monitor!

Has a grey HR box similar to what is used of over the W/kg when you get DQ.

Average HR 173, max 193.
Is that sort of average HR inline with your past efforts? I know they can be funny with certain results. My mate had loads of problems proving he could match his numbers.

Soldato
I have as strange issue whenever I do a workout on Zwift.
When my HR approaches max rate my Tickr HR monitor drops out and the picture on my TV slowly gets more and more fuzzy :confused: when I stop the workout my HR monitor comes back and the TV returns to normal.
I think you have 2 separate 'issues'. The HRM related one sounds like a communication or contact issue. Well worth changing your HRM battery and also refitting the strap so it's tighter and able to maintain contact with you. The fact your HR is high shouldn't make any difference to the HRM's communication.

As also mentioned the picture on screen 'issue' you're seeing is only related to the interval you're on. The closer you get to the end of a hard interval the display is given the grainy 'tunnel vision' look, it's by design and one of the most complained about features of workouts in Zwift. I personally hate it, but there is no 'fix' (no way to turn it off). :(

Ever since Christmas and an update that came out at that time, iOS app has crashed loads for me on an iPad Pro. I lost an hours ride again yesterday, no idea if it's a specific use case that causes it but when I hit Save to upload to Strava, it either immediately crashes to the iOS home screen, or just sits on saving forever and I can't do anything so have to force quit the app. Yesterday was the latter. 9/10 it doesn't even let me recover progress when I restart, will just say there was an error, or it recovers like 5 minutes of the ride. RAGE

So frustrating because I like to keep track with stats on Strava, especially as the weather is improving and I'll be cycling more regularly, and because if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen. I don't think you even get any fitness benefits from it if you're body knows it didn't go on Strava

I'm tempted to a cheap rig for the garage that will just be a Zwift box as it will be a lot more reliable and at least if it does crash, I still have access to the files.
Raise a ticket with Zwift. There is a way to recover the part files (like '.fit files on a PC) which you can then upload, but I'm unsure how that works on iOS. There is probably a log file their support will request from you, which they'll give you guidance how to retrieve for them, but the simplest start point would be a reinstall. At least that is within your control! :)

Do you need to register with WBR for their races? I did one yesterday lunch (really good race actually) but I’m only in the unfiltered results on ZP (I am registered on ZP).
You only need registration with ZP. When the race is finalised you should appear in results unless there is a problem.

The main WBR admin (Craig Kolb) is fantastic and I can easily request he looks into it if your data looks correct and you should'nt have been filtered out (he'll have the power to reinstate you). He's usually contacted via the 'Club WBR' page on Facebook, but I'll happily send him a message on your behalf if you throw me a link to the race over. He and Chris generally look at racers previous results when administrating WBR races, so if you've been racing in B, then ride in a C race for an 'easy' ride and manage to stay within C cat limits, you may still find yourself DQ (using that as an example as how the manual admins further filter race results, some of the earlier filtering by ZP might be incorrect and they are able to change it, they may not know to look into it until an issue is highlighted. Then can then work with ZP (and regularly do) if their system and filtering needs work/tweaks).

Last edited:
Soldato
Couldn't you manage without Di2 with ERG mode enabled in a workout? :o

Think I've persuaded the other half to let me bring the turbo inside for a week or so, although will mean the only time I can turbo is prior to 6:30pm due to baby^bedtime. Still if I get a snow day tomorrow/friday I'll be on the turbo, if it remains in the garage I won't as it's just too cold...!

Soldato
What do people use to run Zwift?

Is there a difference in functionality between the different devices?

I’ve got an iPhone I can use or an old laptop which I think meets the minimum specs.

In time I’ll pick up a cheap tv off Facebook so I can either connect my laptop to it, stream to it from my phone or pick up an Apple TV to run the native IOS app on that.

I’m leaning towards streaming from my phone as then my watch connect to it and will give me heart rate readings, but wondered what others used/recommended.

Associate
What do people use to run Zwift?

Is there a difference in functionality between the different devices?

I’ve got an iPhone I can use or an old laptop which I think meets the minimum specs.

In time I’ll pick up a cheap tv off Facebook so I can either connect my laptop to it, stream to it from my phone or pick up an Apple TV to run the native IOS app on that.

I’m leaning towards streaming from my phone as then my watch connect to it and will give me heart rate readings, but wondered what others used/recommended.
You have to make sure you have compatible devices to run on mobile. Also you can only connect a certain number of devices to the iPhone before you need to consider adding other kit to make it work. I’m personally using an old computer and tv that’s setup permanently in a converted room in the cellar.

Soldato
I took the opportunity to replace an old cheapy Dell laptop with an Asus refirb 'open box' without an OS, yet with an NVIDIA GT7400M 2gb card for £350. Had an old copy of Win8 & SSD to throw in it and install myself. Works well and will drive an external 1080p display (although I don't have one). Being a laptop is quite easy to move around as I Zwift in my garage and don't leave it in there.

https://zwiftalizer.com/benchmarks will show you a rough idea on the framerates and spec if you have an old kit or laptop.

I've got an old Q6600 processor, board and 8gb RAM I was considering about setting up as a permanent rig, but need to check if I can get an old GPU working, a AMD 7970 which should be more than powerful enough.

Lots of people seem to be getting Apple 4K TV's and they work well, but just be aware of the limitations - BT only & limited number of connections.

Last edited:
Soldato
I started off on a laptop with a second or third gen i7 and mobile graphics card. Suffered from slowdown when a lot of users on screen.

Moved to a desktop with a first gen i5, stuck some more ram in, SSD and GTX970 from the members market, output to a 32” TV with HDMI.

Roadie. Did another WBR race today and included in the results this time! 16th in B after a hard race, we had a group of 3 going hard dangling 8 seconds off the front of a larger group. Got within 4 seconds and I managed to jump over with 5km to go, two followed me and we pulled away from the chasers, rather sprint for 12th from a group of 5 and come 16th than a group of 20!

Soldato
Couldn't you manage without Di2 with ERG mode enabled in a workout? :o

Think I've persuaded the other half to let me bring the turbo inside for a week or so, although will mean the only time I can turbo is prior to 6:30pm due to baby^bedtime. Still if I get a snow day tomorrow/friday I'll be on the turbo, if it remains in the garage I won't as it's just too cold...!
Probably if my turbo wasn't a road machine...

Soldato
Well I finally got everything set up today. At least I think I’ve done it all properly. It seems stable enough.

I’ve been on holiday in the Lake District and used the static bike in there as a warm up on hilly programmes and was ok doing 60 mins.

It didn’t prepare me for Zwift though. I chose the hilly map and was knackered after about 5 minutes.

The bike doesn’t seem to change gear very well. Not sure if I should take it to a shop for a service. The rear shifter seems to work ok but the front is pretty ropey.

Back
Top Bottom