The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
I've just weighed myself for the first time in over 3 months. I'm 2.3kg lighter than I thought I was. Time to update my Zwift profile.
FFS, I weighed myself on sunday. 78.3kg. I've been 75kg all winter, the recent lack of mileage has obviously taken it's toll... :o

Keeping my Zwift weight at 75kg until I've have a couple of weigh in's and caught up on some riding.

Associate
quite tempted to do the next attempt as a long FTP test. :)
This is my plan too,
FTP on the Alpe.

Been riding on 225 FTP from my last 20min test, then it went up to 239 on my first Alpe Climb, so I'm gonna see if I can just hold 250 for the whole climb, I find it easier to push and pace myself on a climb than I do on on the flat 20min ftp.

Well, legs permiting anyway. They may not wanna play ball after being on my feet all day at work :)

gonna need some better cooling too, did the Tour of Watopia Stage 2 this evening and could feel myself overheating, made it hard going.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
FFS, I weighed myself on sunday. 78.3kg. I've been 75kg all winter, the recent lack of mileage has obviously taken it's toll... :o

Keeping my Zwift weight at 75kg until I've have a couple of weigh in's and caught up on some riding.
Don't even want to look at the scales lol

Legs didn't want to turn this morning, so very low wattage hour round the flat. Did an hour yesterday morning and last night a Chris Hoy leg workout in the gym and **** me I am in pain. Need to drop the saddle a few mm as well, as I think it's a bit of an overreach at the moment. Anyway, will slowly build up my fitness again and lose some weight and then hopefully get a bit more competitive.

Soldato
Zwift CVR 2018 season 2 started last night.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1487786909
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=53065

A few Zwift platform bugs meant our zone E bracket C race wasn't that well attended (42 riders), with a front selection made within the first half lap of 22 riders. With 8 RaceWBR in the group! As we began ramping up the pace in lap 2 we'd shelled a few and hit the ramp after the volcano hard, but I found myself off the back with 1 other! After a chase we where still back a few seconds, I eased to his wheel waiting for the guys up front to drop pace before trying again but the other really dropped back, taking me with him for a few seconds before I realised. At around 10s back I just hadn't got the legs to bridge back up, barely keeping pace with them. Realising I couldn't regain the front group I kept an eye on the chasers who where at 3 mins 30. The other rider who dropped with me disconnected/vanished so I was very much left solo. I resigned myself to a tempo effort to manage the gap to the chasers, gradually losing time to the front but just hoping they split things up and I'd have some riders to chase/catch. It was not to be! The front group stayed pretty much together with only 1 rider getting dropped in the last 4-5 miles. With my gap to him at around 3 minutes I increased my effort to see if I could close him down, I'd clawed back 2 minutes by the end, just needed another mile or so! I finished in 14th. My WBR teammates used some good tactics, as the front group of 13 had 7 RaceWBR riders in it we where doing much of the work and closing everything down, so they fired a rider off the front just after the strongest opponent attacked with none of them chasing. They did it twice to get Fraser & Alan up the road for 1st & 2nd places. But the others missed out in what was probably a very chaotic sprint.

Bit disappointed with my result, my average power figures suck as I maybe shouldn't have eased so much and kept chasing. Although glad I didn't utterly bury myself as the guy I was catching got DQ anyway meaning I finished in 13th on CVR. Still, good excuse to get back on the turbo later this week, then hopefully a weekend club ride and I'll hopefully begin gaining some form.

Ordered a Wahoo Kickr. :)

Will be here tomorrow.
Congrats & enjoy! :)

Been riding on 225 FTP from my last 20min test, then it went up to 239 on my first Alpe Climb, so I'm gonna see if I can just hold 250 for the whole climb, I find it easier to push and pace myself on a climb than I do on on the flat 20min ftp.

gonna need some better cooling too, did the Tour of Watopia Stage 2 this evening and could feel myself overheating, made it hard going.
I'm slightly annoyed ToW has hit the same time as the spring season of CVR as I wanted to ride it! :(

Good work with your FTP, figuring your numbers will probably be very similar to mine currently! :)

It was pretty warm last night, around 8 degrees in my garage, so around 2-3 degrees over what I'm used to. Melted a little!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a heads up to say there's a race up Alpe Du Zwift on "Road to sky" later today:
16:40 Gruppetto Camp: Sochifornia (Race)

Not sure if I'll take part, I felt like death warmed up yesterday, got home from work at ~1500 and straight to bed until 0530 this morning (briefly waking for dinner in bed). Really achy all over, quads were like radiators despite a really slow 10mph ride home, just getting to the bathroom made me feel like a really old man! I cannot remember ever having anything comparable, yet this morning I don't feel too bad besides my lower back aching a bit.

Soldato
Hi chaps,

I have just bought a bike to cycle indoors and hopefully use zwift to get stuck into things. Could anyone recommend a turbo trainer that 1) The missus won't kill me for being too loud. I'm hoping to use when the baby naps. 2) around the £100 -£150 max mark. Don't need anything too special, as I'll need to work back up.

I have some vouchers for Halfords so I'm hoping to use them. They have one of these does anyone rate them at all?

Thanks

Soldato

If you know someone with BC membership you'll get 10% off which would make the Tacx Flow quite a good option at £180, a bit more than the Blue Matic but it's a relatively fair entry for a Smart Trainer which means Zwift/TrainerRoad will be a bit more engaging and save you buying twice.

Soldato
If you know someone with BC membership you'll get 10% off which would make the Tacx Flow quite a good option at £180, a bit more than the Blue Matic but it's a relatively fair entry for a Smart Trainer which means Zwift/TrainerRoad will be a bit more engaging and save you buying twice.

Is the difference between the blue matic and the flow, just the auto resistance? If I was to get the blue matic, that would still link up to my iPad without me buying any more bits? Just trying to justify the extra cost. If I have to save a bit more for the flow I will but if it's just the difference between pushing the leaver on the matic to save £80, that would be great.

Soldato
Yeah I think I'm pretty sold on the flow. They seem much cheaper on the bay 2nd hand. This makes it much more possible. Is there anything I should look out for? I don't mind waiting an extra month to get brand new though.

Cheers.

Soldato
Is the difference between the blue matic and the flow, just the auto resistance? If I was to get the blue matic, that would still link up to my iPad without me buying any more bits? Just trying to justify the extra cost. If I have to save a bit more for the flow I will but if it's just the difference between pushing the leaver on the matic to save £80, that would be great.

You would need a Bluetooth speed/cadence sensor if not using a smart trainer for it to function with your iPad, so additional cost there better spent on a low/mid end smart trainer.

Soldato
Anyone Zwifting tomorrow morning? I'll be on and need to get at least 100km done in an attempt to get back on track. Weather is forecast rain so unless it's loads better in the morning I'll be inside.

Is the difference between the blue matic and the flow, just the auto resistance?
It is, but technically that's what makes Zwift so engaging.

The 'smart' part of the Flow is the 'feedback' from the trainer to your laptop/ipad as a power figure and the software being able to also control the resistance of the trainer (FE-C = Fitness Equipment Connection) by software. Without FE-C (a la Satori) the trainer is measuring your wheel speed and adjusting resistance to the manual control unit, *not* to what is happening on screen. The 'power' (calculated from wheel speed) is transmitted and Zwift uses that to determine the progress of your avatar across the landscape. If you reach a hill, you slow down on screen as unless you manually increase resistance (or your effort!) the power output doesn't change. Your cadence and 'feel' don't change unless you manually control it.

I've got a surplus Vortex too but I'm hoping to flog mine locally for more than your budget (200ish!) ;)

Man of Honour
Had an attempt at the Alpes du Zwift tonight. But failed. Got to 7 turns remaining and my legs were just like jelly, and my pace dropped significantly so I’d have been there all night.

Was a little gutted but I think I tried to go too fast at the start in the warm up and then took that into the first steep climb and took a lot out of me early on. Know for next time

Soldato
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=53682
https://www.strava.com/activities/1500971574

CVR Spring Series 2018 Zone E bracket C race #2. 11th in Race, 10th on CVR.

This tuesdays race was on the Watopia 'figure 8' course. For some reason they reshuffled start pens so the whole race became 'mass start'. Knowing this several of RaceWBR got on early, I was warming up in the pen for 35 minutes, around 8 of the first 15 riders in the C & D combined pen where WBR. For some reason I recalled the course being more hilly than it actually was, so I intended to ride the flats in the group saving myself for selections on the drags.
The huge charge out the gate was the usual affair but I measured my effort aiming to be at the tail of the lead group, rather than at the front of it and blowing. Knowing the front would get dragged on by the A's & B's when the pens joined. I wasn't wrong! I hung around 5s from the front group hoping to form up some chasers but gradually eased as I could see a teammate behind who hadn't made the group. Tried to get him to hold my wheel for a bridge effort back towards the front group but by then the gap was at 10s and growing. Settled into the group, mainly made up of B & C's. It was around this time I had my first drop, not complete connection drop but more of a Zwift one with all other riders vanishing, annoying losing any of the draft effect from them for the 10s or so before the riders reappeared so I had to charge back on. I had this a couple of times long enough for me to get dropped and having to chase. Various other riders reported the same problem so it seemed a Zwift issue. I need to load my log file into zwiftalizer to check as I have moved some of the things around in my garage which might be starting to interrupt my wifi signal. Not enough for a drop, but enough for lag/slowdown of the connection which I believe produces these symptoms. :(

The largest of these drop-outs saw me soundly dropped from the strong group, I'd been hovering around the rear 2/3 of the group anyway trying to recover so it was inevitable. One of my teammates in the group was also dropped, he had done well to stick with the group as long as he had anyway. With my poorly connection I determined I would do what I could to help him, as I knew any real results for me where out of the running. I did some long pulls with him and another rider on my wheel but it became obvious we where going to get caught by the chasers behind, every time I rested they where catching up with us fairly quickly. It was a large group with another 2 WBR teammates in the number.

This 10-15 rider group swelled over the next few miles, WBR seemed to be the only ones pushing the pace and I found myself on the front numerous times having to check my efforts to not clip off. There was a large gap infront so wasn't any point being out there solo as I was convinced I couldn't bridge, especially with the dropouts. I had a couple more but was able to work well for teammates. As the group swelled I messaged my teammates and we began to push the pace to try and thin things, they where riding hard but I still found myself clipping off the front a couple of times - clearly one of the strongest pushing the pace. 3-4 miles before the finish Derek and I had a bit of a gap after one of the rises so we pushed on, being joined by a couple of other riders. This was quite a good totally unplanned selection, the couple of other riders rolled some short turns but it was Derek and I holding the pace to the chasers only a couple of seconds behind. With around 2 miles left we upped the pace again, I was working hard pulling Derek and every time there was a surge from any of the other riders I marked it. I was feeling strong but quite conscious of holding enough back for a sprint or chase effort if my connection dropped again. I only had one short 4-5s drop in this latter part of the race, with the riders around us being only 1 other C I wanted to try and keep us away from the chasers as I was sure many of the them had sprints stored up from the lack of work they'd had to do. As we ticked through 0.7miles to go the pace eased up a little, I took the opportunity to kick measuring my effort so I could go again. I found myself away solo but at 0.2 to go I could see others behind me winding up their sprints, that late in the race I was ignoring which CAT's they where (takes too long & too much thinking!) and was determined to try and beat everyone. Two of the E's pulled almost level with me just as I opened up my final sprint, I could see orange numbers behind (7w/kg+) while I was holding 5-6w/kg so I pushed on myself hitting 8w/kg. I was utterly spent a few meters for the line but thankfully nobody came past me! :cool:
Fantastic ride and I think riding fairly conservatively for most of the ride along with doing selective pulls really benefits me and my riding strengths. Other times I'm riding near my limit I usually find myself dropped later in the race with no sprint left and a similar finishing position/result. My averages of 262W, 272 NP and 3.6w/kg are good numbers for me currently. Higher than anything for the past 8/10 weeks when racing for more than 1 lap (basically since changing to the Flux at start of February). Now I just need to keep it up! :cool:

Had an attempt at the Alpes du Zwift tonight. But failed. Got to 7 turns remaining and my legs were just like jelly, and my pace dropped significantly so I’d have been there all night.

Was a little gutted but I think I tried to go too fast at the start in the warm up and then took that into the first steep climb and took a lot out of me early on. Know for next time
That's much of it - knowing how to pace a climb like that. Most of us UK riders have very limited experience of it, which is why I really love the fact there's now something like that on Zwift to train with whenever we want to! :D

I found I could hit the bottom parts hard, easing effort and pacing yet still able to surge enough through the corners to increase pace to try and hold. Until the underpass section, that destroyed me! I really had to pace myself, sitting & spinning recovery for several corners afterwards. The middle/latter sections just because a continuation of that - pacing at sub threshold trying to maintain power and not compromise myself towards the top. Towards the top I could see the gradient eased up front so I began emptying the tank, although I did do it too early and had to recover again! The end section with the reduced gradient felt amazing, being able to hit higher cadences an utter relief! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a bash at the Alpe tonight, road bike on the trainer this time so much better for climbing!

Started to fade after 45 mins, but finished it in 52:13 average 296w. Not sure how this compares with everyone else as Strava won’t load up groups and people I follow at the minute, I was 2nd from 50, but the fastest guy was a mid 40!

It’s not the biggest climb I’ve done and I found it much easier than an IRL hill, not sure why!

Back
Top Bottom