The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Man of Honour
Pretty sure my FTP is back down to like 190w at the moment. Really shocking, but just need to shift some weight and keep peddling. Has anyone done the FTP builder workouts?

I did them, my first ever FTP test was 170w shortly after I got my turbo, did the FTP builder and came out with a 205w. Not sure how much of that can be attributed to the FTP workouts, or how much of it was just being more used to riding on a turbo

Soldato
Anyone watching Zwift Crit Series live final?
https://www.facebook.com/pg/gozwift/videos/?ref=page_internal

I've no idea what's going on or what it's all about, but a clubmate is racing so i'm watching.
Nah, found it quite boring/repetitive when I watched some of the earlier ones, have found the CVR coverage far more fun. Crits are exciting to watch on TV but on Zwift I found it was always the same riders doing the same things and very repetitive.

Started to fade after 45 mins, but finished it in 52:13 average 296w. Not sure how this compares with everyone else as Strava won’t load up groups and people I follow at the minute, I was 2nd from 50, but the fastest guy was a mid 40!

It’s not the biggest climb I’ve done and I found it much easier than an IRL hill, not sure why!
Same, it's easier to ride than a real climb as you can't grind to a halt and fall off! :D

Great time & power, over 10 minutes faster than my only ride up there. Great work! You're 3rd on the OcUK group leaderboard! ;)

Yea, reckon I'll just ride. Well annoying seeing it so ****, but I'll keep putting in my trainer hours and hope to get it back to the 270 it was
Getting into a routine is best mate, get into some racing! I'm seeing a recovery in some of my power I 'lost' when changing to my Flux and losing fitness (due to lack of riding & illness) around the start of February. I tried a ton of hard rides and really lost faith as I was just blowing myself up, even just doing SST. I had the power but not the endurance, once I upped my base miles again that's regained much of my endurance! :D

Soldato
OP
Yea, I can hit max power still. I can peak at like 1500w, hold about 600 for 30s but it's endurance of holding 280w for an hour I used to be able to do, now it's crap. I'm carrying too much weight and need to get my fitness back in general. I did Jon's Mix this morning again and yesterday had it on 189w FTP but was too easy really. Did a 200 ftp today and it was harder but OK. I'll slowly push this up and see how I cope. I'd get blown out the water in any races at the moment! Need some more fitness first. Getting an hour a day in on the bike so hoping that should help bring it back.

Soldato
CVR Spring season race #3 zone E bracket C.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=54730
https://www.strava.com/activities/1514560032

With the 3rd race in the season came our first ride on London and Box hill. I jumped on 30 minutes prior to race to try a different warm up routine, WBR where keen tonight the first 6 riders in the pen all wearing our colours! It was pretty obvious that things would be decided on the first or second time up Box as usual on this course. Around 10 WBR riders in the 51 racers we where due some good results if sticking to our usual (great) teamwork. :D

I had a Discord issue just prior to the start and somehow totally missed to ramp before the gun! Whoops! Settled into a paced 4w/kg chase to be in the second group on the road. The front selection was made early with around 7 WBR up there in the 20 or so riders, a couple of riders in no-mans-land and then the chase group where I was. My teammate Derek was quite prominent in the group and I knew he was great on hills so we rolled a few strong turns between us. Our group around 20 riders but nobody really putting any efforts in to chase down the riders in front. A teammate (Tomer) got stuck chasing the front group and dropped back to us easily joining the group. I clipped off the front a couple of times as well as driving the pace, it was the same couple of strong riders closing any gaps and sat towards the front, so as expected Box was going to cause quite a selection with these riders so determined to stick with them.

The first time up Derek dove off the front, as the group splintered quite quickly I stuck with the couple of riders behind him as they gradually reeled him in. By the top our group of 5 who had made the selection had around 30s on any remaining chasers of our previous group (which contained poor Tomer!). After a big effort on the ramp over the top of box to group things up I sat in for the descent, even managing to hold wheels in aero tuck for some of it.
1f60e

The next lap went well, our small group maintaining 2 minutes to the front group and around 1 minute to the chasers. Most riders rolling turns but I did experience a couple of dropouts similar to last week (losing all riders & any draft effect) meaning I had to chase back on. Once I actually dropped 5s when distracted typing and emptied myself to chase as one of the others had upped the pace. Whoops!
1f625

Second time up Box Derek and I pushed the pace as the 2 strongest riders of our group had clipped off the front by a couple of seconds a short distance before. We easily closed them down and caught them, playing a game of cat and mouse for a few minutes before the fatigue caught up with Derek and he began to ease up/drop back. I stuck with the other 2 riders (we'd lost the other at the bottom) making them do all the work and hoping Derek would recover and make it back up. When we hit the final ramp Derek was nearly 30s down so the decision had been made for me - stick with these guys and try to beat them in the sprint. I managed to get aero again on the descent and an Irish rider and I managed to somehow drop the other guy (a Dutch rider).

Through the tunnels after Box the Dutch rider put in a supreme effort and actually caught us but it became obvious he hadn't got much left as he left me and Irish to do all the work. When we got to the escalators even though I was watching for it, Irish managed to put in a huge effort and a 3-4s gap to me over the top. The Dutch rider was dropped like a stone but with the fatigue in my legs I couldn't find anything to chase Irish. I told myself to save it for the sprint and to go super long but with 0.3 miles to go Irish had 8s on me and was pushing some strong 4-5w/kg numbers, my 6-7w/kg effort barely making any difference so I eased up a little knowing I couldn't catch him. I had 20s over the chasing Dutch rider so rolled through the finish fairly easily in 15th place. Coming 13th in CVR. :cool:

Up front there had been some huge selections made with WBR taking all of the 4 top spots and 7 of the top 10 positions (and 9 of the top 15). Some fantastic teamwork! From the actual CVR results a rider without a HRM had gapped my teammates to the finish, the Irish rider I was chasing wasn't racing in CVR so I gained a place there too. The Dutch rider we'd dropped was zpower so again got removed from results. It's a shame these riders dictate results so much, when you think if the 5 man group we'd had to keep away from the chasers was only actually 3 riders racing in the series we'd have not kept away. :o

I'm now placed 6th overall in the series.

Yea, I can hit max power still. I can peak at like 1500w, hold about 600 for 30s but it's endurance of holding 280w for an hour I used to be able to do, now it's crap. I'm carrying too much weight and need to get my fitness back in general. I did Jon's Mix this morning again and yesterday had it on 189w FTP but was too easy really. Did a 200 ftp today and it was harder but OK. I'll slowly push this up and see how I cope. I'd get blown out the water in any races at the moment! Need some more fitness first. Getting an hour a day in on the bike so hoping that should help bring it back.
It is crap but with the power there you'll gain the endurance side of things back quite quickly just by riding, then as your frequency/distance/effort continues you'll drop the weight increasing your W/KG on Zwift without really needing a bump in FTP. You'll get back to near where you where very easily with some regularity and structure (which you are starting well!). Once you've got some of that endurance there do an FTP test, you'll be pleasantly surprised what you come out with :)

Last two days of my Zwift subscription until at least next winter, summer is here and I would rather be out and not paying £13pcm for something I would hardly use until Xmas.
Boo! Will be a shame not to bump into you and ride at some point! I'm going to keep mine going, the convenience of jumping on Zwift for an hour is the main thing with the baby here. I can fit in an couple of hour sessions in during the week without impacting home life too much. Outside riding would be a 2-3 hour session one night and just isn't possible with any regularity at the moment (except on weekends). :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Did John's mix Monday again and the McCarthy Special yesterday. Both were easy enough, but pushed me a bit too. McCarthy had a warm up and the 3 min at FTP/ 200w, then right after 3min at 225w and then 3 min at 250w, then a 5 min at 130w. It's a nice mix up to John's mix and hopefully should push me to raise my power more. Might try some of the other ones on there too.

Soldato
CVR Race 4 in the 2018 Spring series last night. Racing in Zone E bracket C.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1529515639
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=56162
https://cycledata.cvrworldcup.com/c...wer_id=1;zone_id=cvrWorldCupLeague-zoneE-male

Had a bunch of WBR in the start pen, 9 of the first 13! With a course comprising of Leith hill followed by Box hill it was always going to be a tough one, but with the climbs coming quite late the team tactic became a 'WBR breakaway'! With around 20-25% of the riders in the race being WBR it was quite a valid one. The selection from the start was tough and I found myself just on the coat tails of the front group with several scattered riders around. I chased a few gaps but knew I couldn't stick with the guys up Leith so all I was doing was closing gaps for opponents, I dropped back to ride with Derek who was around 15s behind. I'd ridden with him the last couple of weeks and knew he was strong on the hills. We work well together as being light he struggles on the downhills and flats where I 'excel'.

The gap to the front group grew as we formed our own little group of 5 with a couple of others. The front group put in some huge smashes and split away from most of the opposition riders long before Leith, our group behind catching a splinter group of 5-6 so as we hit the bottom we where quite big with a 1-2 minute gap each sides to the front & chasers. Just before we hit Leith one of the others of our original 5 put in a big effort and broke away, the rest of us followed, I put in a large effort to try and lead out Derek at the base, it worked well with him gaining a 5-10s lead and catching the breakaway rider. I settled in with 2 others while another bridged up to Derek. Towards the top the two riders who'd caught him dropped Derek and he eased slightly for my group to catch. Over the false flats we lost on of them so our group became 3, the other rider (Tullborg) I remembered from other weeks as one to watch! The group up front ditched the only non-WBR rider half way up Leith when he suffered a mechanical/technical, so the latter part of the 'race' turned into a 9 man WBR 'training ride'!

On the descent of Leith we all sat in resting up, before working well together to build our gap to the chasers which we'd dropped on Leith. Just before the ascent of Box Derek and I put in turns to stretch Tullborg and just before the climb we'd distanced him by a few seconds, a large pull from me grew that to 5s on the lower slopes of the climb. We held that gap nearly all the way up, matching his w/kg and any time he increased it we did the same. Towards the top he was around 10s back and we where actually catching the 2 up front. I set off in chase figuring I could maybe jump the 20s gap solo. No chance! I eased to get Derek back on my wheel for the flat summit as Tullborg had began closing a few seconds. The flat summit and kicker/ramp afterwards we hammered and grew the gap back out to nearly 15s, working well on the descent together that had grown to 30s. We kept the pace constant and by the escalators it was obvious he couldn't catch us, so I put a dig in to see if I could close any of the 40s gap to the two in front, but barely trimming a few seconds off it. Derek and I (now separated by a few seconds) both rolled through the finish easily in 13th & 14th place. Placing us in 11th & 12th on CVR.

The WBR guys up front taking the top 9 positions, with two WBR-riders not racing CVR who'd ridden in barely needed support dropping out to avoid being placed. Some big efforts from them really helped decide things but looking at the finishing riders it wasn't really required. #proteam! :cool:

Just been doing some gentle turbo sessions after being out for a walk past couple of nights. Easing myself into cycling again in preparation for delivery of the new bike :cool:
Good work & ideal encouragement! :D

Did John's mix Monday again and the McCarthy Special yesterday. Both were easy enough, but pushed me a bit too. McCarthy had a warm up and the 3 min at FTP/ 200w, then right after 3min at 225w and then 3 min at 250w, then a 5 min at 130w. It's a nice mix up to John's mix and hopefully should push me to raise my power more. Might try some of the other ones on there too.
Good work, yeah I have to admit I've done McCarthy more than Jon's mix, it just looks more 'appealing'! :D

There's some good ones 'over an hour to burn', but under an hour the options are very limited.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah decided to bite the bullet and get a new bike https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/eastway-r3-bought.18817931/ bit of an upgrade from the Btwin Triban 3 anyway which will now serve as my turbo bike during the winter. Estimated delivery for the R3 is next Wednesday at the latest.
Nice! Let us know how you find it, they're an amazing setup/spec for that price point! Would also be interested in the weight of it...

Yea @Roady I think i need to look at the 1hr plus stuff and see. I set myself an hour a day to do, but might need to up it a little to 1.5.
Yeah, just think of it that with the 1.5 hr you have a 10 minute warmup and a 20 minute cooldown giving you a good solid hour of training in the middle. Never under estimate the warmup & cooldown!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice! Let us know how you find it, they're an amazing setup/spec for that price point! Would also be interested in the weight of it...

The R3 would have been my option on those 2 @Pringle W as it has the 105, which is better. Good option!

Both are full carbon, same frame. So it really boiled down to the groupset so the 105 trumped the Tiagra for £100 more. There's a video on the page on wiggle which says its 8.2kg so a full kilogram lighter than my current bike.

Soldato
OP
Massive respect to you ******** up alp zwift or whatever the hell it's called. Jesus ****. I was possibly the slowest in the world but I made it. My legs still hurt. So much lactic. ARGHHH. I doff my caps to all of your fast people. *doffs cap*

Soldato
Massive respect to you ******** up alp zwift or whatever the hell it's called. Jesus ****. I was possibly the slowest in the world but I made it. My legs still hurt. So much lactic. ARGHHH. I doff my caps to all of your fast people. *doffs cap*

I was the slowest of all the OcUkers up the Alpe as I’m a 92kg fat lump so wouldn’t worry about it :o

Soldato
I've got to have a pop at it myself yet, I don't have the required level tho so I'm not sure how is best to get around that?

I'm not/wasn't level12 either, I simply looked through the list of people that had done more than five miles and their average speed was under 10mph, clicked name to "join them" and get beamed into the promised land.;)

Soldato
I'm not/wasn't level12 either, I simply looked through the list of people that had done more than five miles and their average speed was under 10mph, clicked name to "join them" and get beamed into the promised land.;)

Ah cool - so does it drop you just in the right place to start at the very bottom?

Back
Top Bottom