The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
Excellent thank you. I have just read that Evans Cycles boost on Tesco Club card with increase from double to three times on June 11th. So going to hold out until then and then get the Vortex ordered.

Soldato
Had a ride of the alpe tonight, nice now it has been broken into sections as it gives you predominantly 2-3 minute chunks to time yourself on and displays them on the left.

I didn’t want to go too hard as have TT on Thursday, probably have a little leg spinner tomorrow.

I was surprised by the comparison between my two times a month apart; today 292w, 168bpm and 53:09, first ride up was 296w, 175bpm for 52:13. Big time difference for not many watts, maybe I got a load more drafts last time. Good HR difference, I didn’t really go over 170 until the last 3 sectors when I pushed on a bit, obviously getting fitter but I did take a week off for holiday.

Gives me a good target power figure for a 25 mile TT if I do one.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I have around £200 worth of vouchers to spend at Evans Cycles from Tesco Clubcard which need to be spent soon. I am interested in getting a Turbo trainer/ Smart trainer for use in the garage as I am unable to get out much due family commiments etc. I have the bike already and a spare 42" TV and a laptop which I can move to the garage so just need the trainer. Ideally what I am after is something which I can jump on ride some virtual roads/courses etc. maybe the occasional race.
Don't forget to factor in the monthly cost of Zwift/TR/Sufferfest along with additional things you may need - trainer tyre (if you don't have any old tyres), spare wheel (if swapping bike from trainer to outside use), USB ANT+ adaptor, TV stand, a fan or two, bike thong, headphones etc etc etc. It's also worth checking how your laptop will run 1080p as with that good TV you'll obviously want the best display possible (hint: resolution has a big impact on framerate, but smoothness is better for Zwift, much like gaming).

I can recommend the Vortex, I've owned one for several years and as a 'starting' smart trainer it's perfect. If your budget is an absolute and you need some other bits then the Flow Smart is a good cheaper alternative but only stores sell them, they're not generally sold online. Halfords & Decathlon spring to mind, not sure if Evans' stock them. Could be worth checking if your Evans' vouchers can be spent alongside other discounts, I used my British Cycling discount to get 10% off from Chain Reaction, for the £25 yearly BC membership getting 10% off a £630 trainer was well worth it! :cool:

My trainer recommendations are currently -
Low range: Flow/Vortex maybe KICKR Snap.
Mid range: Elite Direto (you get more trainer than going for the Flux like I did).
Mid/high: Refirb KICKR.
High: Neo.

I was surprised by the comparison between my two times a month apart; today 292w, 168bpm and 53:09, first ride up was 296w, 175bpm for 52:13. Big time difference for not many watts, maybe I got a load more drafts last time. Good HR difference, I didn’t really go over 170 until the last 3 sectors when I pushed on a bit, obviously getting fitter but I did take a week off for holiday.
Great times and efforts up there & great comparison to show some solid progress! :)

Soldato
CVR Spring Series Zone E bracket C race #7.

Race 7 in the spring series brought 4 laps of Watopia Hilly. A very mixed course and one which should suit me better than the real mountain ones! :cool:

We where down a few WBR riders but attendance was quite low with only 25 riders entered, 8 of them WBR. Pace was fast out the gate with a front group quickly made of around 15 riders, we hit the first climb and I soon found myself deep in the red being dropped with a couple of others. Up front two of WBR broke away from the group and got a good gap, they would remain away for the rest of the race.

Lap 2 I settled into a paced effort watching the gap to the front group grow, while also watching the group selections happen behind and my gap to them decrease. Once it seemed settled I eased for the chasing pair to catch me, Derek a WBR teammate I've ended up riding most of the series with and 1 random. I wasn't sure if random was in CVR as I half recognised his name (which normally means CVR rider) but couldn't directly recall racing him before. We rolled some good turns and continued to put time into those behind, Derek and I worked well keeping tabs on our german friend, most of the ramps we attacked him and then the big climb at lap 3 we hit the bottom hard. He seemed unable to hold our wheels at the first kicker so we kept the pressure on having a 10s gap to him by the top.

Working hard rolling turns we where regularly getting the gap up to 20s by the end of the lap. He didn't stand a chance chasing us solo. Lap 4 came around and the kicker at the base of the climb nearly blew me. I messaged Derek to head up the road if he could. One of the strong riders in front (Wislsperger) had a few dropouts and by the start of the climb we had closed up to 16s, I half hoped for him to have another drop on the climb but by the top he had caught one of our teammates and distanced us behind by over a minute. He must've flown up there as although Derek distanced me (and I caught him over the top as usual), the german guy wasn't making any ground on us.

Derek and I teamed back up on the rolling final lap and with the gap up front around 1 minute 20 I put an effort in to see if we could get close again. Derek had 40s on the german so I considered him safe as I went up the road. Watching Dereks gap slowly decrease as a few a few miles ticked over I wasn't making much progress up front so eased back to him to. The gap now down to 20s. I shouldn't have worried as by the time we hit some of the rolling terrain the gap began to grow again.

I gapped Derek a little on the esses (I find I gap lighter riders there very easily) so was in 2 minds what to do leading towards the finish. Knowing he was probably safe I put in a big pull to tow him a little and increase the gap behind, I hadn't expected Derek to hold on to my wheel and before I know it we where getting ready to sprint. I really wasn't ready as had been holding gaps, not holding any energy for it! He kicked first and quite early in the sprint which I didn't anticipate as he's a climber not a sprinter (yet I wanted to finish ahead of him for a solid 10th on the road!). I followed and could match his power but I saw him kicking up to 8w/kg and gain a bike length! I kicked harder ramping up to 10w/kg just to close the gap, we where then side by side with matching w/kg figures but I had nothing left unable to go any harder! Derek must have eased slightly as there was no way I did, but I somehow took the place from him on the line.

Derek and I took 9th & 10th on ZP. Coming 8th & 9th on CVR. We should have our our top 10 places in the season now almost certain.

WBR took 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th & 11th.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1574291635

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=60027

https://cycledata.cvrworldcup.com/c...wer_id=1;zone_id=cvrWorldCupLeague-zoneE-male

Soldato
In C yeah, we're dominating it. But we have 40% of the riders so it's totally expected. We're not fairing anywhere near as well in B or A with only a handful of riders in each with only 1 or 2 top 10. Matt Looker should be higher up in A but he had some rubbish luck on tuesday... He was away on holiday visiting his brother, took 2 bikes, laptop and turbo trainer with him. Found a gym that would allow him to setup and ride there with good internet. Then on the first lap he punctured (he's riding KICKR SNAP)! :o

To be fair in C we had loads of competition last season and our teamwork although good didn't really get us anywhere as the majority of the opposition where too strong. CHOCK and Vision where really good strong teams but nothing from them this season. PTz have had a number of different riders helping their guy a few times this season but he (Wislsperger) is the only 1 registered in our bracket.

Innovation have been smashing bracket B and WBR have struggled there, so a couple from C will be encouraged to move up to B for next season. The guys in 1st & 2nd place in B, came 2nd & 1st in C last season... :o

Soldato
Little 8 minute power pb for the year of ~350w on Box Hill. That’s nearly half a TT :o legs felt alright up to about 400w then dead but had a biggish weekend.

Soldato
Good numbers! Get yourself up the Alpe for some sustained efforts at that level?! ;)

CVR Spring Series Zone E bracket C race #8.

It was with much excitement we lined up for the final race in the Spring Series. Unfortunately a couple of our RaceWBR regulars where missing due to injuries and illness. Still 8 of us lined up amongst the 25 starters (11 on CVR).

Discord was fairly quiet and low on tactic discussions, I think most knowing it was 7 laps of London Classic it was going to be decided on the 7 times up Trafalgar.

It was a measured effort from the start with around 12-15 riders making the front selection, all of WBR up there! We hit Trafalgar the first time and being positioned towards the end of the group I was thrown out the back with several others, cresting with around a 3-4s gap but the group very split in front. I chased and was aided by a teammate who dropped back to me after a call on Discord. Between the guys easing up front and Martin's effort I was able to regain them before the finish straight. We had a group then of 11, 7 of them being WBR! Another story of our dominance in this bracket this season! :D

The rest of the race settled into a familiar pattern for me - hide in the group's wheels as much as possible, resting for the surge towards Trafalgar. I was able to surge ahead every lap to get a jump on the guys so I wasn't dropped. It worked well, being able to surge and then standing sprint but I was blowing by the top every time. Thankfully several others where always cresting around me so I was able to sit on while the stretched group gradually regathered towards the hairpin.

Around 9 miles to go there where a couple of attacks which where easily closed down by our large group. I did experience a dropout around the same time but as I was hovering around the front of the group I kept the power on and wasn't dropped. Around 5.5 miles to go my two WBR teammates who've been fighting the wins between them all season set off. Nobody else could even consider to follow with the power figures both where putting out!

As we came through 2 miles to go there where several minor attacks and I even found myself off the front slightly. Our group numbering 8 at this stage (5 WBR). I eased up knowing the final climb would likely decide my future. Somehow the group hit the ramp at only a slightly increased power than the previous laps, I had timed my kick well and hadn't got any gaps to close at the top so was able to save a little for the finish. The group regathered as usual and into 0.8 to go we where still all together, nobody even attempting to break away into the final straight. As the kicks and power ramps came I jumped and found myself on a teammates wheel, surging I was able to hold it and although really late I opened my sprint proper. It wasn't the best and with my w/kg only hitting around 7 I fully expected to be swamped by the others. I had nothing left but holding Marks wheel nobody came, I kicked again and I was able to slingshot around him to roll him on the line to finish 4th! :D
Totally unexpected finish, I'd resigned myself to finishing in the top 10 after all the efforts to hold onto the group. I was at my limit literally every time up Trafalgar. I would've been happy and expected to finish in maybe 7th or 8th, so a really amazing surprise! :D

https://cycledata.cvrworldcup.com/c...wer_id=1;zone_id=cvrWorldCupLeague-zoneE-male

https://www.strava.com/activities/1589398379

http://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=61264

So as expected I finish this CVR Spring Season in the top 10. Coming in 9th overall, with 7 races of the 8 race season my best 6 results do include one of the 13th's I have. Only 11 riders actually finishing 6 races in the season on CVR. Numbers somewhat down on the Winter series, but our RaceWBR dominance is pretty obvious in the standings with 7 of the top 10 places. :cool:

Soldato
We regret to announce the closure of ZwiftPower due to the recent GDPR requiring changes to Zwifts underlying API.

New privacy controls are being implemented by Zwift and should be complete sometime next week (June 1st).

:eek:

I hope this means they'll be back up after June 1st, but not so sure...?

Soldato
So before I raise a ticket both Zwift & Road Grand Tours have stopped launching for me, just won't launch in Win10 and I've reinstalled both and updated the GPU drivers?

I can only guess a Windows update broke something.

Soldato
:eek:

I hope this means they'll be back up after June 1st, but not so sure...?
Yeah, it all depends what Zwift do with their API. It was wide open before (so in breach of GDPR regulations)!

So before I raise a ticket both Zwift & Road Grand Tours have stopped launching for me, just won't launch in Win10 and I've reinstalled both and updated the GPU drivers?

I can only guess a Windows update broke something.
Sounds like it, although not had any issue with mine since 1803?! Check other games to make sure your GPU is ok. Anything in event log?

Soldato
Sounds like it, although not had any issue with mine since 1803?! Check other games to make sure your GPU is ok. Anything in event log?

Being a dedicated PC for my trainer has an advantage in that I just reset the Win10 config this morning and re-installed the Zwift launcher. It started so that's better than before. I only have VirtuGo/Veloreality/RGT/Zwift installed on it so I'll re-install them all now.

Oddly I did check the Zwift logs which showed a launcher crash but also the RGT exe crash too. Like they are both using the same launcher or something.

Soldato
Are there any 'reasonably' priced solutions for keeping a single skin uninsulated garage with a south facing wall and west facing up & over door cool during the warmer summer months? 23 degrees in there today was a particularly sweaty affair.

I have plenty of fans (1 x 20" high velocity floor fan and 2 x Honeywell HT900E) which do a sterling job of moving warm air around me which doesn't do much actual effective cooling for anything over 80-85% intensity :o

Given I am only in there for 90 minutes twice a week running any sort of AC unit would be, I imagine, incredibly uneconomical and it'd make more sense to actually just train in a small room of the house with an AC unit.

We have empty air conditioned space and shower at work but I'd find it too much of a PITA to ferry a setup to & from twice a week and equally unjustifiable to N+1 permanent setup.

Soldato
Oddly I did check the Zwift logs which showed a launcher crash but also the RGT exe crash too. Like they are both using the same launcher or something.
Did you solve this? Personally I'd be looking at Directx and GPU drivers. There's no reason why both would be crashing as they shouldn't share anything data wise.

Are there any 'reasonably' priced solutions for keeping a single skin uninsulated garage with a south facing wall and west facing up & over door cool during the warmer summer months? 23 degrees in there today was a particularly sweaty affair.
Bet you're finding the airflow helps to 'dry' you but not really to cool you?

Is fitting some kinda openable roof vent an option? Just thinking the hot air rising regardless of temperature so your ambient would then drop to similar levels with whatever outside is.

We've found similar in our house after I fitted a load of insulation in the loft (as our walls are not insulated I went overboard in the loft). Now with baby bedtime being 6:30-7pm and the sun still being out - and his only window faces south! Some of the days last week our downstairs would be sat at 19 degrees while the upstairs sitting at 24! :o

I've taken to opening the loft hatch so some of the hot air rises up there while running a fan on the stairs pointing up. It been dropping the temperature 2-3 degrees within 20 mins. We do have windows facing north but only 1 of them is large enough for any airflow and it barely made a difference.

Circulating air is one thing, but you need somewhere for the heat to escape, or something to absorb it.

Is this with the garage door open or closed?

I've resorted to half opening mine - makes a big difference.
My garage door faces north but so much in front of it I don't bother opening it, although I've also got a south facing 'normal' door which is infront of me (just off to one side), so I have my 'face' front fan that side to suck air from that side to try and encourage fresh/cooler air.

Last edited:
Soldato
Resetting Win10 fixed Zwift but I have yet to install the other progs or install nVidia drivers. However having a 1050 Ti in the system means they all run at the max monitor refresh anyway with vanilla Win10 drivers so I may leave it as is for now.

Soldato
Nice setup, trying to figure out what to do with mine. I'm running a 740M in a laptop and it drives a crappy 21" external display ok at 720p. I really do want a larger screen but I know then the cheapy laptop GPU won't be man enough to push 1080p so one option I need to seriously consider (zero cost, just time) is repurposing an old PC which is in my attic. Its a Q6600 with 6gb RAM and I do have a spare AMD 7970 which is probably enough power to drive 1080p. But think I only have a W8 licence for it. Gah. Barely got enough time to ride as it is, nevermind rebuild & reinstall a PC! :(

Zwift training plans have had a big overhaul & update: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/how-it-works-zwifts-new-training-plan-platform.html

Soldato
Tried the new trainerroad ftp ramp test the other night. It's much easier to do than a full 20m test as there's no pacing involved, just keep pedalling to total failure. The first 10-15 minutes are pretty easy, the last 5 or so gets hard. It's meant to be accurate now with lots of reports of getting numbers within 2-3w of a full 20m test. There's also less stress from it than a 20m test, very low TSS scores

https://www.strava.com/activities/1619443437

Soldato
Figured as now there's no race series I'm invested in, my Zwift riding has virtually vanished. I've become so reliant on my saturday morning club rides to carry any fitness that as soon as something comes along meaning I can't/don't ride I'm missing any volume, squandering away any gained fitness right when I should be increasing it! :o

Signed myself into the Zwift training plan 'FONDO' last night as I figured it being the easiest and shortest time commitment (3 hours a week), it'll be the easiest for me to stick to. Hopefully the flexibility of the way it works (it recommends workouts on what you've done recently) will be perfect for me. We'll see.

Certainly with my current low volume the 10*3 min intervals @90% FTP with 1 min gaps hurt. I nearly bailed on the 7th! Holding 250W was hurting by that point but counting down the final 3 I was able to power through! :D

Tried the new trainerroad ftp ramp test the other night. It's much easier to do than a full 20m test as there's no pacing involved, just keep pedalling to total failure. The first 10-15 minutes are pretty easy, the last 5 or so gets hard. It's meant to be accurate now with lots of reports of getting numbers within 2-3w of a full 20m test. There's also less stress from it than a 20m test, very low TSS scores

https://www.strava.com/activities/1619443437
Still looks brutal! Good numbers! :)

Back
Top Bottom