The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
trainerroad ftp ramp test

Saw this in their news feed. Very interesting and potentially very beneficial. Ramp test's aren't a new thing so I'm not sure why they felt the 20/8 min tests were more appropriate but then again... I suppose as knowledge broadens we find shortcuts. Much like their SweetSpot Vs Traditional Base yielding most of the same results with less total training time.

Soldato
@One More Solo in here talking about Fork stands for Turbo? :D

I know a couple of people have used the Tacx one as it's about half the price of the CycleOps one you found. A clubmate even mounted his with casters on the bottom so it moves around as things flex. Can get pics or ask him if you wanted?

Have seen several others have them mounted on rocker plates as well as their turbo's.

Soldato
I think that's the general consensus - letting it move as your frame flexes around, providing it's still supported. If you're holding a flexing frame very rigidly in position you're increasing fatigue to it.

Associate
Hi all

I have ordered my Tacx Vortex Smart trainer today so expecting this to arrive in the next few days. I intend to use it with Zwift, the computer I will be running it on has Bluetooth but I also read that I can use an Ant+ USB dongle. Does the Ant+ offer anything over Bluetooth?

Thanks

Associate
If the computer is running windows you'll have to connect over ant+ anyway. You can't connect over Bluetooth smart to a windows device.

Thanks, I managed to get it working via the Mobile app although this seemed to take an age to get working, hopefully will be quicker next time.

Completed my first session this morning a 30 min training circuit, I was pooped and I definately need to invest in a fan! But was great fun.

Associate
I think you're probably going to need to get used to some connectivity issues with the Vortex.

I think I worked out the issue last night, it seems that my phone was still connected to my car outside the garage, once I clicked forget on this the turbo trainer appeared right away. I then proceeded to climb up Box Hill which was fun!

Soldato
I think you're probably going to need to get used to some connectivity issues with the Vortex.
Why so? Mine was no different to my Flux.

I think I worked out the issue last night, it seems that my phone was still connected to my car outside the garage, once I clicked forget on this the turbo trainer appeared right away. I then proceeded to climb up Box Hill which was fun!
Easily done!

One to watch (you'll probably experience) is riding on Zwift/TR to 'warm' the trainer up, then needing to disconnect it before connecting to your mobile to calibrate it. Most of the time I've found that I have to shut down my laptop before my Android phone will pickup speed from my Flux. Most of the time closing Zwift is not enough, I find the phone picks up the trainer, but doesn't display it's speed (which the Tacx app requires to do a spindown). Then you also have the 'fun' of the reverse to get laptop to pickup the trainer again. Thankfully it's easy to drop BT on the handset, but I have found I've needed to power cycle the Trainer sometimes. Especially after a firmware update, before Zwift will see it again.

Soldato
Had my first Zwift race in ages.

Was one of those all mixed up races with all grades off at once. Twice over box hill. First lap was super hard from the gun, couple of bits of lag saw me on the back but not too bad.

Paced up Box a bit harder than I wanted but hard to judge. Had a nice rest in a group of 3, they tried to drop me coming out of the underground but didn’t have the engine to pull steady watts after and I TTd back to them.

We got caught by 3 others from behind mid second lap and went up Box at a fairly solid 3.7-4wkg losing a few guys. As expected the punch came out of the underground, one guy had a run from behind and got a gap, I kept the gas on over the top and got 1 second to the man behind me, kept going at 4.2-4.4 which was all I had left and pulled it to 4 second, holding that to the finish. I was 8th in B with the top 3 riding over 4wkg average.

First lap easily a PB for me but the second nothing special. 274w average power. Feel OK now and not totally ruined so I’m obviously doing something right!

Ooof and the double header, another workout before tea. 1 hour doing flat laps of London with WBR. Base of 2.5w with efforts of around 3.5w, starting at 2 mins a lap and building a minute a lap to a full lap (7 mins).

Last edited:
Associate
Been doing my all my workouts on the Alpe, so get to an hour of controlled power output and then freestyle whatever's left, so haven't really put a race pace effort in as yet, just comfortable 70 minute efforts, as the easier intervals really cut into the time. Did get my Meilenstein Lightweights on my last run though :)

Soldato
First lap easily a PB for me but the second nothing special. 274w average power. Feel OK now and not totally ruined so I’m obviously doing something right!

Ooof and the double header, another workout before tea. 1 hour doing flat laps of London with WBR. Base of 2.5w with efforts of around 3.5w, starting at 2 mins a lap and building a minute a lap to a full lap (7 mins).
Sounds like WBR Pedalplay! Enjoy that one - quite a good workout without really busting a gut!

Good solid race result and numbers mate. I really can't stomach racing in the heat of my garage at the moment but I'm considering tonight as it's the coolest it's felt in weeks! :o

Been doing my all my workouts on the Alpe, so get to an hour of controlled power output and then freestyle whatever's left, so haven't really put a race pace effort in as yet, just comfortable 70 minute efforts, as the easier intervals really cut into the time. Did get my Meilenstein Lightweights on my last run though :)
Awesome workout and good to get them! How many ascents? Most people seem to average over 20 climbs before they get them. I've done maybe 4 lol :o

Associate
Awesome workout and good to get them! How many ascents? Most people seem to average over 20 climbs before they get them. I've done maybe 4 lol :o

3rd time lucky :) Gloves - Socks - Wheels. Leaves me doing all my training on the Emonda with Lightweights as this is supposed to be the best combo for hill climbs, up to a level of power way beyond my world. Plan is to rock the Alpe until i hit the 50k meters climbed target and unlock the tron bike, then use that with 808s to train on the flat and eat up the miles while i chase down the distance based mission targets.

Soldato
3rd time lucky :) Gloves - Socks - Wheels. Leaves me doing all my training on the Emonda with Lightweights as this is supposed to be the best combo for hill climbs, up to a level of power way beyond my world. Plan is to rock the Alpe until i hit the 50k meters climbed target and unlock the tron bike, then use that with 808s to train on the flat and eat up the miles while i chase down the distance based mission targets.
FFS! 3rd time! so lucky! :(

You're overthinking it! Just ride! ;)

Also, the bike you unlock for Everest (Trek Emonda) is one of the fastest climbers until you reach level 24 (Cervelo S5) or Tron.

For flat/aero riding you need to reach level 20 (Trek Madone) or level 24 (Cervelo S5). Until then use the Zwift Aero you unlock at level 13.

But if mostly riding solo / doing training sessions, use the TT bike. Most of the climbs pre-update it was determined that aero is fastest if not riding in a group.

Soldato
Did a Zwift flat volcano race at lunch, 295w for 35 mins but a bit shorter than usual.

Backed up with the WBR training ride this evening. A hard 45 mins with efforts, then 10 mins at 300w+ at the end when it was race on. I managed a huge bridge over when the group split, nothing left for a sprint at the end!

Zwiftpower is back working now, but you have to login to Zwift and give permission to share data with the site!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom