The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Did my long overdue FTP test on saturday morning. 276w which I'm very happy with.

My last test back in the autumn (Sept/Oct?) was around 283w on the Vortex, which I know was overreading slightly, so this was my first test on the Flux. I've done harder efforts/higher FTP outside but don't generally do intervals/specific power training outside. Considering I 'lost' power, fitness, confidence and faith in myself at the start of February when changing from Vortex->Flux (guesstimated my FTP at around 230w) I've built back up well since then.

Some of the racing the last number of weeks 250w efforts have been cooking my legs so I think that's just been fatigue/training load, as wasn't completely rested for the test & could manage that power to continue after the test.

Used the Alpe for my test, did some spinning/efforts, started the test activity skipping some of the warm up parts as I was already warm so I could start the test effort at the start of the segment. Finishing at around turn 12, took it easy/paced for around 4 minutes recovering before pushing on to the top. It hurt like hell but a good test of my power endurance, soft pedalling on some of the shallower inclines/turns was enough recovery to keep the power coming. 255w average for the whole climb, coming in at 56:19 and cutting over 6 minutes off my PR. Feels good to get it under an hour! :D

Both are full carbon, same frame. So it really boiled down to the groupset so the 105 trumped the Tiagra for £100 more. There's a video on the page on wiggle which says its 8.2kg so a full kilogram lighter than my current bike.
Good choice letting the groupset decide, even if there was a slight difference in the frames it would be very marginal.

Massive respect to you ******** up alp zwift or whatever the hell it's called. Jesus ****. I was possibly the slowest in the world but I made it. My legs still hurt. So much lactic. ARGHHH. I doff my caps to all of your fast people. *doffs cap*
Suck it up princess and get your time down! It is brutal but if it doesn't hurt, it's not training! Well done! :D

I've got to have a pop at it myself yet, I don't have the required level tho so I'm not sure how is best to get around that?
Group rides going up there, if you join on someone else or a ride on the course you'll get in. It's only free riding you can't get/turn/choose a course there at sub level 12.

Soldato
CVR Spring Series Race #5 - Zone E bracket C.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=57577
https://www.strava.com/activities/1543809099

It was with much excitement we reached week 5 and the first really flat course of the series so far, on London. With still an amazing RaceWBR & TeamWBR turnout we had grand plans of getting as many as possible in the front group and really dictating things. We even had 2 guys on Discord D.S.'ing for us! :D
With the typical manic start we set out to try and split things early on, after picking up an aero PU during my warm up (and not needing to save myself for a climb) I was determined to be up there. I made the selection at the front and was even feeling strong enough to roll a few turns before getting shelled out the back on the main drag as the guys got to work stretching the field. Around 17 riders in the front group at that stage, with 8 of them being WBR.

I found myself adrift with a teammate few seconds behind, I chased a little trying to maintain the gap to the front group but knowing I couldn't sustain it eased up. Antony and I worked well together for a lap, the gap to the front group growing to 2 minutes and managing to hold the chasers at 30s but it became pretty obvious towards the end of the lap they where going to eventually reel us in. With two other teammates in the group of 7 behind and it having a minute over a larger chase group it made sense to rest with them before working to keep away from the chasers.

All 4 WBR in the group where riding strongly with various other riders whose names I recognised, but the only one I was sure of on CVR was Henrik Tullborg, so we rode tactically to get as many of us ahead of him on standings. Derek and I had ridden hard with him (before teaming up to drop him on Box hill) last week. I put in a couple of surges (as did Derek up the climb after the underpass) but things stayed together. Most of the riders sitting on and happy to do 3w/kg rather than any real efforts to go up the road (the gap to the front had grown to over 3 minutes).

Around 2.2 miles remaining I drifted back by a few seconds feigning a drop/lost wheel. I ramped up power pretending to chase back on but as my 4-5w/kg effort fired me through the group I didn't ease up. Tullborg and 1 other gave chase not allowing me to build any real gap. I kept the power on but on the ramp after the underpass I was not getting away so after stopping them dropping me sat in to try and recover for the sprint finish. At 0.4 to go everything was speeding up nicely with the group beginning to stretch, I was marking Tullborg but when he went I didn't kick quite hard enough to hold his wheel. Antony had done a great job to lead out Derek who had surfed Tullborgs wheel before passing him with around 200m to go, I chased hard matching speeds and dropping most of the other riders to close up on Tullborg and Dereks wheels. Just as Derek passed Tullborg I dug deep managing to find some of my sprint (even seeing 10w/kg!) to pass Tullborg and nearly catch Derek on the line! :D
Up front the guys had worked tirelessly to split things with little success until the final lap. Frazer White had enough left in the tank for an incredible sprint (13w/kg!) to take the win but annoying the other 2 riders had sat in enough to take the other podium spots while the rest of the team came through in 4th, 5th & 6th with two other WBR chasing them coming in 8th & 9th.

I came in at 15th ahead of Tullborg, 14th on ZwiftPower, with an official 9th place on CVR. My highest of the series so far putting me in 3rd place overall. But I know I'll slip down unless I can get some top 5's in the final races of the season as the results from your top 6 races (of the 8 race series) are the ones which count towards end of season rankings. Realistically I'm looking at hopefully a top 10 place, which I'm more than happy with after my 32nd last season! :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thought my Flux was under reading as a lot of people have reported this (and I have some odd rubber flecks that seem to have come from it) so today put the Ultimate and Vectors on the trainer to compare... turns out it wasn't the Flux reading low, it's just my lack of any meaningful power hahaha

Anyway, had some time this morning so made up for not going on much last week and did 60km, which was nice, but Richmond is a yawn fest.

Soldato
Good work bud, seen a number of rides from you, keep at it and the power will come! :D

Regarding the rubber bits, there is a fault with a large range of the Flux's which Tacx know about. The pulley wheel and/or belt is not fitted correctly. I think there's a way they can tell from the serial number if your unit is one affected by it?

IIRC reading some of the stuff on the Flux Owners FB page I invited you to - there's a lip on the outside of the pulley wheel and the belt, rather than being held on the wheel by it, it's fitted overtop of the lip so gradually 'shreds' the outside of the belt.

Soldato
OP
I'll take it apart soon and check that out to see. I read like all the posts in that group, so thanks for the add on that! V useful. Trying to get some more saddle time in at the moment, so riding as much as I can. Weight will eventually come off and hopefully with it power up, but weight is so slow to drop as you get older lol

Soldato
Richmond was OK when it came out, but now it needs to fade away never to be seen again. Been out too long and way too limited compared to London & Wattopia.

Couple of Box Hill efforts tonight, heavy legs after Sunday ride but power & HR good.

Soldato
OP
Yea, it's just a bit meh. Nothing about it at all. I'm going to venture outside tomorrow... have to go to a meeting in town so riding the Aeroad it. Tried that last week and burst my tyre, so hopefully tomorrow be all good. Outside is scary. :p

Soldato
No CVR for me last night, hot weather around so I'd got in the back of my mind I would skip it anyway, then loads of things happened over the weekend/bank holiday and I've not slept that great for 4-5 days. My WBR teammates did well again, Our Welsh superstar in C (Frazer) took the win so WBR in CVR 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 6th, 7th, 8th (we had 2 other non-CVR riders also riding with us who finished amongst). Frazer should win the series now (with 4 wins, 2 second places). The Zone E bracket C table we hold the top 8 slots, with me now in 7th.

In the A bracket WBR again rode well but where unable to work together. Somehow Matt Looker won the race, beating Kim Little (who had a powerful domestique along - Soren Bay!). 2*5 min 30s Box hills & a 500m 700W sprint! :o

I'll take it apart soon and check that out to see. I read like all the posts in that group, so thanks for the add on that! V useful. Trying to get some more saddle time in at the moment, so riding as much as I can. Weight will eventually come off and hopefully with it power up, but weight is so slow to drop as you get older lol
Yeah reading some of the posts and pictures of guys taking their Flux's apart is interesting. Looks like they come apart quite easily so very quick & easy to check your belt situation. I remember seeing a post by a guy who'd actually got a new metal tension wheel made at a machine shop as the one Tacx uses (at least on the early models) was cheap alloy/plastic and would shred belts. Is yours out of warranty? When/if you do take yours apart let me know if you come across a tamperproof seal. I quite fancy a look inside mine but still want to get it returned if I can.

Richmond was OK when it came out, but now it needs to fade away never to be seen again. Been out too long and way too limited compared to London & Wattopia.
Totally agree, they should do an expansion of it with some various crit circuits. The Volcano crit is an awesome one to race and quite popular so think something like fitted into Richmond would breathe some life into it. Just quite glad it's not got much time on the rotation and usually is towards the end of the week (when I don't Zwift).

Yea, it's just a bit meh. Nothing about it at all. I'm going to venture outside tomorrow... have to go to a meeting in town so riding the Aeroad it. Tried that last week and burst my tyre, so hopefully tomorrow be all good. Outside is scary. :p
Remember to steer & brake! :D

Soldato
Haha, still a good time! Would put you firmly middle/front of the pack in CVR bracket C. Mine are generally around 7.30-8 in the races as there's usually 2 climbs of Box so I'm slightly reserved the first & tired the second! :o :cool:

Which segment are we using anyway? I've always used this one as the KOM one has the flat over the top which is misleading as every balls out effort I ease there (or the climb is slower to nail the flat after).

We're pretty close on our PR's, but that's not my usual/current race pace up there (even though it came from a race!).

https://www.strava.com/segments/12805208/leaderboard?club_id=12099&filter=club

Associate
Hi guys,

I have around £200 worth of vouchers to spend at Evans Cycles from Tesco Clubcard which need to be spent soon. I am interested in getting a Turbo trainer/ Smart trainer for use in the garage as I am unable to get out much due family commiments etc. I have the bike already and a spare 42" TV and a laptop which I can move to the garage so just need the trainer. Ideally what I am after is something which I can jump on ride some virtual roads/courses etc. maybe the occasional race.

Is £200 enough to get anything half decent? I am willing to add a little bit more if necessary but they have so many on there with varying prices I dont really know where to start.

LINK to Evans Turbo Trainers

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
In reference to post above, after reading some articles and watching some videos last night the Tacx Vortex Smart Turbo Trainer kept popping up as a good value for money Smart Trainer. Its over budget so just wondering if its overkill for someone who has never used a trainer before? Would I get a the majority of the features this has from something cheaper?

Back
Top Bottom