• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Intel Arc owners thread

Soldato
More Battlemage rumours!

It's looking like an August or September launch to me. Hopefully the paper launch will be at Intel's event in late August with availability a few weeks later.

Never thought it would be Intel that provide something new and exciting in the GPU space. I guess we know Nvidia will have something that performs but costs an organ, and AMD will have the lesser version of that. Intel is a bit of a wild card.

Caporegime
Never thought it would be Intel that provide something new and exciting in the GPU space. I guess we know Nvidia will have something that performs but costs an organ, and AMD will have the lesser version of that. Intel is a bit of a wild card.

Exiting? They are saying it has the same 4096 Shaders and 256Bit Bus as the A770, which is equal to a 4060, currently £260 and 2025 is when Nvidia and AMD will be launching their new GPU's if they already haven't by then.

If its £150 then sure its exciting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exiting? They are saying it has the same 4096 Shaders and 256Bit Bus as the A770, which is equal to a 4060, currently £260 and 2025 is when Nvidia and AMD will be launching their new GPU's if they already haven't by then.

If its £150 then sure its exciting.

Isn't it a new architecture and a die shrink? I'm looking forward to see what Intel can do. I guess the interest for me comes from there being another GPU option, I dislike Nvidia as a company, and have felt I had no choice but to buy their cards the past few years, I can't bring myself to try another AMD GPU. Nice to have something different, hopefully Intel bring out something of interest at a fair price.

Soldato
I'm 50/50 if it will be priced well, or if they'll just do an AMD and price it way too high, get the negative press, and drop prices months later when everyone else has already bought Nvidia.

Obviously we want the former, but... Shareholders.

Caporegime
Isn't it a new architecture and a die shrink? I'm looking forward to see what Intel can do. I guess the interest for me comes from there being another GPU option, I dislike Nvidia as a company, and have felt I had no choice but to buy their cards the past few years, I can't bring myself to try another AMD GPU. Nice to have something different, hopefully Intel bring out something of interest at a fair price.
I really want a third vendor and in that sense i'm glad of Intel but from what i have seen so far is Intel trying to out Nvidia Nvidia, the last thing we need is Nvidia having no reason to change while also having the moral high ground comparted to Intel.

There is more than i whiff of arrogance for Intel to come in asking us to bare with them while they use us as testers for the privilege of paying the same if not more than Nvidia for broken crap.

They have a chance to prove that's not who they are with Battlemage but until i see it i'm critical of everything they do.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There any updates when ARC will support VR yet or still on the back burner?

Yes! VR looks like it's going to be supported by Battlemage:

Further browsing of of the database reveals "BGA2362-BMG-X2 Interposer for the Gen5 VR Test Tool"

Last edited:
Soldato
It is a new architecture which apparently fixes a lot of bad decisions made with Alchemist. I think it was Gamers Nexus that had an in-depth look at it a while back, mentioning that even game compatibility should be inherently better with Battlemage due to changes Intel have made.

I'm curious as to what people are expecting from Battlemage in terms of performance though. From everything we know about it, something in the 4070 series area is likely to be where it's at. Is that really going to be enough? It's obviously going to get smoked by Nvidia's new mid-range whenever that arrives, and AMD will be competing hard in that area too since RDNA4 is specifically targeting that space, so that really leaves Intel just competing on price again (and it will likely be much cheaper than at least Nvidia's new offerings). But they're stuck pretty much a generation behind AMD and Nvidia from a raw performance standpoint. Arguably more if you're considering the high end, although Intel have been clear they're not targeting that space (yet, if ever). I'm just not sure how they're going to get people excited for 4070/Super/Ti-level performance in late 2024.

Soldato
OP
It is a new architecture which apparently fixes a lot of bad decisions made with Alchemist.

I read one article that said that certain internal hardware structures had gone from 8 bit to 16 bit to better support Unreal Engine 5.

I'm curious as to what people are expecting from Battlemage in terms of performance though.

The A770 already approaches the 4060 so I'm looking for a good step up from that. Something like the performance of a 4070 Ti, maybe Super. But the key will be price. Battlemage will need to be significantly cheaper than Nvidia. A 4070 TI currently sells for ~£750 so for equivalent performance a Battlemage card released this year will need to be £500, because next year it will be competing with the 5060 Ti and those will be around £400 or even the 5060 at about £300, at which point Intel cuts the prices.

I do think people should look at the longer-term picture. Remember how Ryzen went from being interesting in the 1000 series to pretty solid in the 2000 series and encouraged people to take the risk of jumping ship and then stomped the competition in the 3000 series onwards.

Soldato
I do think people should look at the longer-term picture. Remember how Ryzen went from being interesting in the 1000 series to pretty solid in the 2000 series and encouraged people to take the risk of jumping ship and then stomped the competition in the 3000 series onwards.
I think the CPU and GPU markets are very different prospects. I mean, you only need to look at AMD itself and its struggles to compete in the GPU space to see that. AMD were able to take the CPU market by storm because Intel was a company resting on its laurels and doing the bare minimum (as well as struggling with technical failures at a process level). Nvidia, for all its many faults, could never be accused of that. It's always relentlessly driving technology forwards year after year, both in hardware and software terms. The turnaround on developing new GPU architectures is also longer. We're just over seven years into Ryzen's existence and AMD are about to launch their sixth-generation architecture (Zen, Zen+, Zen 2, Zen 3 and Zen 4 having already come and gone). Assuming Battlemage arrives around September, it will have taken about two and a half years to get there from Alchemist's debut in March 2022. I have doubts about how long Intel is going to be content to be the ultra-budget option, having to massively undercut the competition to be noticed. That's not why they got into the discrete GPU business in my opinion, and not a strategy they've ever been interested in as a company. Let's also not forget that even first generation Ryzen was up there competing with Intel's very best. Not in gaming perhaps, but for productivity workloads even first generation Ryzen was a monster that crushed anything in Intel's regular desktop lineup (and frankly most of their HEDT offerings too). Intel are nowhere near that status with Arc. They're not even going to be in the same ballpark as Nvidia's (or hell, even AMD's) current high-end with Battlemage, let alone whatever monstrous new chip Nvidia are going to launch later this year. I just don't think the Ryzen comparison works really, because the calibre of product isn't the same.

I do want Intel to succeed and shake up the GPU market, but so much of what people are expecting is nothing more than blind optimism and hope that Intel are prepared to potentially lose money for a very long time in order to establish itself. They sure lost their shirt on Alchemist, having to sell those massive TSMC 6nm dies at the kind of prices they quickly fell to. Maybe things will go better for Battlemage, but that's more hope than expectation.

Soldato
I really want a third vendor and in that sense i'm glad of Intel but from what i have seen so far is Intel trying to out Nvidia Nvidia, the last thing we need is Nvidia having no reason to change while also having the moral high ground comparted to Intel.

There is more than i whiff of arrogance for Intel to come in asking us to bare with them while they use us as testers for the privilege of paying the same if not more than Nvidia for broken crap.

They have a chance to prove that's not who they are with Battlemage but until i see it i'm critical of everything they do.

Yeah I wouldn't like that to be the case, I just can't get excited about Nvidia anymore, yes we're going to see some nice performance and features but at what cost? I can't see Intel charging anywhere near as much, but they are a big company and they love to make money, guess we have to wait and see. The testing part though, I've found that kind interesting, a new product to mess around with. Performance has come on loads with the updates, and still improving. You do get a lot for your money with A770.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'm curious as to what people are expecting from Battlemage in terms of performance though.

This is not my opinion by the way but I was recently listening out for actual info as its meant to be releasing ..and we have heard nothing really. In a segment of MILD it talks about Battlemage. He's not really a trustworthy source much like all the tubers out there but surely if its coming there would be more buzz/hype around it? If it doesn't launch this year then its going to be again too late to the party.

Soldato
OP
I have doubts about how long Intel is going to be content to be the ultra-budget option, having to massively undercut the competition to be noticed.

I agree. They'll have to get up there sooner rather than later. Though I wouldn't call £500 ultra-budget.

Let's also not forget that even first generation Ryzen was up there competing with Intel's very best.

For the enthusiast perhaps, but for the mainstream not really: it was too flakey. Untrustworthy.

He's not really a trustworthy source

You're being polite. And he spins 30 seconds of info out into 10 mins.

Caporegime
This is the latest testing i could find, the performance is clearly much better than it used to be, it used to struggle to keep up with a 3060, now its equal to a 3060 Ti.
Impressive stuff, but that still puts the 4070 55% ahead.

With the same number of shaders and bus width IMO its unrealistic to think Basttlemage is going to make that up, let alone a 4070 Ti which is 102% ahead.

And again, 2025 is when Nvidia / AMD will probably have new GPU's out.

This is the second best result for the A770, Given GN don't do overall results lets go with it.

036FI4D.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If it is only projected to be 4070 super (being generous here) performance but is available to buy at the end of the competitions lifecycle, you would be hard pressed to not just snap up a 4070s on a sale. Price will obviously help but surely even intel cannot sustain this delayed product cadence and having to lowball the price each time?

Soldato
OP
With the same number of shaders and bus width IMO its unrealistic to think Basttlemage is going to make that up, let alone a 4070 Ti which is 102% ahead.

Don't forget that some of the internals have doubled so with a better process node and faster VRAM and having fixed all the issues they found with Alchemist an overall 100% performance improvement is not impossible. We shall have to wait and see.

Caporegime
If it is only projected to be 4070 super (being generous here) performance but is available to buy at the end of the competitions lifecycle, you would be hard pressed to not just snap up a 4070s on a sale. Price will obviously help but surely even intel cannot sustain this delayed product cadence and having to lowball the price each time?
It would have to gain 79% to match the 4070 S, 73% for the RX 7800 XT.

Again with the same 4096 Shaders, 256Bit Bus.

Don't forget that some of the internals have doubled so with a better process node and faster VRAM and having fixed all the issues they found with Alchemist an overall 100% performance improvement is not impossible. We shall have to wait and see.

RDNA 2 vs RDNA 3

Primitive/clk improved by 50%.
2X Hardware Vert/Prim Cull rates.
6 Prim Rasterized clk, up from 4.
192 Pixels clk, up from 128.
2X ALU throughput.
Added Rendom Order Opaque Exports.
Added Pixel wait sync.
Added BF16 Support.

Per shader and bus width RDNA 3 is about 25% faster than RDNA 2.

RX 7800 XT has 3840 Shaders, 256Bit Bus
RX 6800 XT has 4608 Shaders, (+20%) 256 Bit bus

The RX 7800 XT is on average 5% faster

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom