Clockspeed - 3.88Ghz
Vcore (under load in windows) - 1.560v
Vid (core temp) - 1.2625
Motherboard Asus Maximus SE
Cooling - Custom
Thermal paste used - Arctic Silver 5
CPU Temp – 61.5 C - Average

Hi ya

I've still not been updated, sorry to be a pain in the butt.

Fan speed

Hi Folks,

One question for you veterans!
Whats your cpu and case fan speed when clocking towards 3.6 Ghz?
Do you run the fan at max speeds or set them at minimum speed (under 1000RPM) to lessen the noise?

I started clocking my system yesterday and got in total 4 silverstone FM121 fans manually controlled sitting at 900 RPM.

BR Anders, from Sweden

Hi Folks,

One question for you veterans!
Whats your cpu and case fan speed when clocking towards 3.6 Ghz?
Do you run the fan at max speeds or set them at minimum speed (under 1000RPM) to lessen the noise?

I started clocking my system yesterday and got in total 4 silverstone FM121 fans manually controlled sitting at 900 RPM.

BR Anders, from Sweden

Hi gronbek and welcome :) Krank up your fans for benching.

Press F5 to refresh

Don't blame me if your browser stores old images in the temp folder!

Well for the first time the F5 didn't work it seems IE7 does store the old images?????????? Cleared the cookies and wam bam thank you Webbo it works, I'll have to remeber that.

PS I wasn't blaming you I was merely asking as I couldn't see it after pressing F5.

Hi gronbek and welcome :) Krank up your fans for benching.

Thank you thank you :)

Did some tests with fans on minimum RPM setting ~900.
CPU volt set to 1.35 in bios and 9x400 FSB on a Q6600.
Memory Corsair set at 44412 800 mhz. Thermalright 120 extreme heat sink.
Idle temps are at 34-39 degrees in core temp. And Orthos ran all 4 cores for 15 min then I got an error. Temp during load was 54-59 degrees.
I am going to disassemble the heat sink and try Zalman paste instead of AS5.
If I rev up all fans to max I get 5-7 degrees lower temps across.

BR Anders, Thanks for the welcome

.....Did some tests with fans on minimum RPM setting ~900.
CPU volt set to 1.35 in bios and 9x400 FSB on a Q6600.
Memory Corsair set at 44412 800 mhz. Thermalright 120 extreme heat sink.
Idle temps are at 34-39 degrees in core temp. And Orthos ran all 4 cores for 15 min then I got an error. Temp during load was 54-59 degrees.
I am going to disassemble the heat sink and try Zalman paste instead of AS5.
If I rev up all fans to max I get 5-7 degrees lower temps across....

I think you'll need your fans on max during overclocking and especially for stress testing.

I suggest the problem isn't with the paste you are using you simply need more Vcore - volts.

If you check threads in this Forum or start a new thread people will be pleased to guide you through the process.

CPU Q6600
Revison G0
FPO# L709A854
Clockspeed 3504
Vcore 1.41
Vid (core temp) not running on Vista 64
Motherboard aus P5K-e wifi/ap
Cooling Sunbeam TuniQ Tower 120
Thermal paste used As5
CPU Temp 66-66-66-66

Q660015hrprime3504.jpg

Did you lap to get that consistency in the core temps or are you just very lucky?

Yes I had to lap, previous prime attemp at 3200 had a difference of 10ºC between cores so I didn't bother posting knowing lapping was most definitely needed. My cpu was convex (bulging up in middle) I believe is the correct term, have a pic see below.

q6600middle.jpg

Note on temps check the temps stats from Everest, temps did get toasty around 9.30 -11pm but settled down as the cooling night-morning arrived. I did continue to use the pc up ontill about 3 o'clock but would imagine video streaming over the network wouldn't make much differnce to temps.

Last edited:
Yes I had to lap, previous prime attemp at 3200 had a difference of 10ºC between cores so I didn't bother posting knowing lapping was most definitely needed. My cpu was convex (bulging up in middle) I believe is the correct term, have a pic see below.

Note on temps check the temps stats from Everest, temps did get toasty around 9.30 -11pm but settled down as the cooling night-morning arrived. I did continue to use the pc up ontill about 3 o'clock but would imagine video streaming over the network wouldn't make much differnce to temps.

When you say there was a 10ºC difference between your temps before lapping, what were your exact temps if you can remember? And did lapping drop your entire core temp?

i.e Pre-lap: 79-77-71-69
Lapped: 66-66-66-66

Or was it more like, pre-lap: 73-71-64-63 and lapped 66-66-66-66?

Just wondering as I am considering lapping myself, and want to see if it will bring down the entire core temp like in example 1 or just even things out as in example 2?

Well for the first time the F5 didn't work it seems IE7 does store the old images?????????? Cleared the cookies and wam bam thank you Webbo it works, I'll have to remeber that.

PS I wasn't blaming you I was merely asking as I couldn't see it after pressing F5.

Np m8 - I don't change the url of the leaderboard I just update the image stored on photobucket (saves me time) so a refresh is required everytime I update I'm afraid. Glad you got it sorted in the end m8.

I'll update the new entries when (if) I finally get away from work lol.

Pre lapping

@3200Mhz I found my original screenshot,

primed8hours.jpg

After Lapping
@3504 66, 66.3, 66.2, 66.3 this was the average temp reading from Everest over the 15Hr Priming period. The cpu line is quite good but don't know if this stands for much compared to actual core temps.

Q660015hrprime3504tempstats.jpg
Q660015hrprime3504everest.jpg

I have tried @3600 but the volts need to be hiked up and the temps then sky rocket, for my setup 3500ish appears to be max which is better than my previous E6400 which failed at anything over 3200 so I'm happy :D

Last edited:
Np m8 - I don't change the url of the leaderboard I just update the image stored on photobucket (saves me time) so a refresh is required everytime I update I'm afraid. Glad you got it sorted in the end m8.

I'll update the new entries when (if) I finally get away from work lol.

Thanks, just also wanted to mention I appreciate the effort you put in for all out benefit's, it's very easy from this side that I for instance have improved my score but for you to keep having to come here to check then change the database takes effort especially when you are working and no doubt want to be overclocking your own rig.

So thanks for your time and effort for us all.:)

CPU - Q6600
Revison - G0
FPO# - L726A343
Clockspeed - 3816 MHz
Vcore - 1.57v
VID - 1.2625v
Motherboard - Abit IP35 Pro
Cooling - All air - Thermalright Ultra Extreme.
Thermal paste used - MX1
Ambient 20C, 63C average.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom