Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Seriously? Boo hoo the free headphones I got don't work with my MacBook so now I have to use either my old ones or some probably significantly better ones I either already owned or can buy for peanuts with the adapter you gave me for nothing?

The amount of whinging over a set of non issues with the iPhone 7 and new MacBooks just shows how we're all spoiled.. I want everything to work out of the box in every scenario that pertains to exactly me..

Someone not get what they asked Santa for? :rolleyes:

Soldato
Lol no it's not that at all, I was a bit irritated with the removal of the 3.5 but it's really not that big a deal. You just need to remember a massive amount more people buy iPhones than MacBooks, they're barely related anymore so the whole emailing Tim Cook about your free headphones is a bit silly when there's so many solutions, that's all.

Soldato
It's not a massive deal for me, and I'll cope perfectly fine. But the more I use it, the more I do think it was a mistake.

Every laptop has an 3.5mm port mate, not just Macbooks, but I was using my Macbook as an example as it's part of their ecosystem. The majority of consumers have a laptop instead of a desktop these days. I bet the majority of all iPhone users also use a laptop of some sort regularly. That port isn't going anywhere soon.

The headphones aren't free either, they're included in the very high price. Worth £29 or according to apple, not exactly pocket change petrol station headphones.

Yes, there's a few solutions, but they all require buying more headphones. There isn't even a dongle to satisfy the simplest solution of all, that of only having to keep track of a single pair of perfectly adequate headphones they give us in the box.

Simplicity, I like it, I'd rather not have to faff around with charging my headphones and keeping track of multiple pairs.

Anyway. I'm really liking the new taptic button on the iPhone 7. Felt so weird playing with my 6S when I got it back. The button depress seems so deep and clunky compared to the taptic feedback of the 7.

I was playing around with the iMessage animations, and it's really cool how they utilise the vibration for things like the crackle of the fireworks on the 7. A really subtle, but cool enhancement. Will be neat to see how apps start to integrate the taptic feedback.

Soldato
Nope, that's what I thought too.

But that dongle only works for existing headphones with a 3.5mm jack so you can plug them into your phone.

There's no dongle supplied (or even available for purchase, I asked them in store) so you can use the bundled Apple lightning headphones with any other audio device.

This forces you to buy or find another pair of normal 3.5mm or wireless headphones if you want a single set that will work on both your laptop and phone.

Last edited:
Soldato

But that dongle only works for existing headphones with a 3.5mm jack so you can plug them into your phone.

There's no dongle supplied (or even available for purchase, I asked them in store) so you can use the bundled Apple lightning headphones with any other audio device.

This forces you to buy or find another pair of normal 3.5mm or wireless headphones if you want a single set that will work on both your laptop and phone.

It certainly does.

Caporegime

Ah sorry I thought you meant a 3.5mm dongle, yup there is no dongle to use the supplied headphones with other devices, but that isn't really needed.

If you want to use the same headphones with your laptop and phone then use bluetooth or use the 3.5mm adapter and just use the headphones you already use with your laptop with the iphone too - it doesn't force you to buy anything extra though?

Soldato
There's also the point that they sell many times more iPhones than Macs so nowadays it's a fairly tangential relationship, they shouldn't be thinking about Macs when they're kitting out iPhones.

Common sense would suggest you move the lot to USB-C but I don't see that happening.

Man of Honour
Still can't get over how big the screen is on the plus. I was just too used to the 4in screen on the 4s and 5s. Absolutely loving it for browsing and watching netflix/amazon on the go. I also find text messages a little easier :D

If anyone is on the fence, allow me to push you over it.

Soldato
If you want to use the same headphones with your laptop and phone then use bluetooth or use the 3.5mm adapter and just use the headphones you already use with your laptop with the iphone too - it doesn't force you to buy anything extra though?

I'd rather use the nice new ones I got when I paid £700 for my new phone. My old ones are pretty grotty and well used, the wire isn't in great condition after a year of daily use.

I find the stock Apple ones quite comfortable. Plus I use the built in mic quite a lot for phone calls on the phone, and skype on the computer. Just seems a shame that you have to fork out more for another pair of headphones that works on a laptop and a phone and disregard the new pair that came with it. Like I say, it's not the end of the world, but it's just another niggly thing that taints the usual polish of the Apple product experience I've grown used to.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is pretty neat, a an adapter so you can use a magsafe style charger on both your laptop and iphone, they have adapters for lightning and USB-C

*** link removed as this was a scam ***

Soldato
Got my 7 today, coming from a normal 5 to the 7 it's just a vast improvement in every category.

Got a good deal with BT Mobile, iPhone 7 32GB Black, 15gb data unlimited everything else for £26 for the first 6 months, then £52/m (Including £5 off a month for BT broadband) and to top it off £150 Amazon voucher.

Soldato
Little chance that'll ever be MFi certified if that bothers you at all.

True. Didn't cross my mind though. However it did make me wonder why on earth they removed magsafe from the new new macbooks again. Such a big loss, seems nuts. I can only hope Apple has some kind of massive powerplay in the works due for unveiling in the next 12 months whereby they unveil some kind of wifi charging that will work throughout a home, like a wifi network,charging all devices, be it a phone, watch, laptop etc with no cables whatsoever. And no crazy side effects like radiating all their customers, or their Berocca, with cancerous or super power side effects.

Soldato
True. Didn't cross my mind though. However it did make me wonder why on earth they removed magsafe from the new new macbooks again. Such a big loss, seems nuts. I can only hope Apple has some kind of massive powerplay in the works due for unveiling in the next 12 months whereby they unveil some kind of wifi charging that will work throughout a home, like a wifi network,charging all devices, be it a phone, watch, laptop etc with no cables whatsoever. And no crazy side effects like radiating all their customers, or their Berocca, with cancerous or super power side effects.

Well I doubt that.. but there are several options to bring magsafe back to the laptop, you also don't even need to worry about MFi - we're conflating the Mac and iPhone again :)

V F

V F

Soldato
Got my 7 today, coming from a normal 5 to the 7 it's just a vast improvement in every category.

Got a good deal with BT Mobile, iPhone 7 32GB Black, 15gb data unlimited everything else for £26 for the first 6 months, then £52/m (Including £5 off a month for BT broadband) and to top it off £150 Amazon voucher.

When you get a phone from these providers, do they lock things? If they do, what is it?

Man of Honour

That's a really good deal - even better than the one I got, so I'm feeling a bit shafted now :D

Though I love the phone so it's all good.

Soldato
When you get a phone from these providers, do they lock things? If they do, what is it?

Honestly I have no idea.

That's a really good deal - even better than the one I got, so I'm feeling a bit shafted now :D

Though I love the phone so it's all good.

Reason I went with another iPhone is because I've got purchases on apps and itunes so it made sense.

But i'm glad I did, its such a lovely phone, the synthetic home button is really weird also the lack of headphone port, which i guess isn't too bad since the lightning earpods are actually very good in ears.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom