Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
I need a screen protector for my iPhone 7. I have tried two now but neither fitted to my liking. What do you all use, which is the best one?

Screen protectors have been a PITA for iPhone 6 and onwards because there's a slight curve in the glass at the edges of the screen...

Means you'll get respectable screen protector companies making products that don't seem to fit, it's tricky to get something flat to stick to a curved surface so the choice is either go slightly too wide and risk chips and lifting or thinner and make it look like it doesn't fit.

Just be aware there are relatively few glass screen protector manufacturers, the vast majority of what you'll find on Amazon/eBay and even places like Mobile Fun all come out of the same factories.

Exceptions are people like Zagg, Panzer Glass, Tech21 etc.. proper brands.

If you must have one then I'd go with Zagg myself, their hybrid stuff is really interesting but you'll pay for it.

Much below £15/£20 you'll just be getting generic stuff with a huge markup so you're better just going with a £5 eBay special.

Personally I use the nano liquid stuff which after forcing myself to be cool with it (it's a bit emperors new clothes.. you can't see it when it's on) I've been really impressed and I love the feel of no screen protector at all.

Check out crystalusion or shark proof that sort of thing.

Soldato
Thought I'd come drop in on guysbthat likely have one. My contract upgrade can be uprgraded from as early as next month. I'm sticking with iPhone again this time but no idea which one to go for. From what I've read the difference between the 6s and 7 is very minimal and the lack of 3.5mm jack is very off outing so what do I go for a 6s plus or 7 plus. I know at this point the 6s plus is coming on a year and half old and it would be much of an uograde from my standard iPhone 6.

I'm swaying towards a large capacity 6s plus but am I crazy for taking a 2 year contract out on an older phone?

Soldato
I'm swaying towards a large capacity 6s plus but am I crazy for taking a 2 year contract out on an older phone?

Yes.

Basically that'll mean by spring 2019 you'll have a phone which was originally released (albeit in original non S form) in September 2014.

Or in other words like having an iPhone 4 now.

If you really must change (just because your contract has expired that doesn't mean you HAVE to get a new phone) why not just get a preowned 6S plus from somewhere like smartfonestore to tide you over until the apparent massive update this September?

You'll be locking yourself in to the oldest shape just before the biggest change.. obviously there's nothing inherently wrong with that, a phone is a phone after all but I know it would wind me up over time.

Soldato
Yes.

Basically that'll mean by spring 2019 you'll have a phone which was originally released (albeit in original non S form) in September 2014.

Or in other words like having an iPhone 4 now.

If you really must change (just because your contract has expired that doesn't mean you HAVE to get a new phone) why not just get a preowned 6S plus from somewhere like smartfonestore to tide you over until the apparent massive update this September?

You'll be locking yourself in to the oldest shape just before the biggest change.. obviously there's nothing inherently wrong with that, a phone is a phone after all but I know it would wind me up over time.

My contract is at this time of year due to me not being too bothered about having the latest revision on day one and it also means contract prices come down quite a bit. As well as I get a fairly nice/decent with EE on top of my retentions.

Only if EE could offer a 1 year contract that wasn't there stupid max plan thing. Main reason for needing to get rid of this phone sooner rather than later is it gets handed down to the other half who is still currently on a iPhone 5.

I may have a look at second hand prices and see what they are like and if they seem worth it over what I'd pay.

Soldato
My contract is at this time of year due to me not being too bothered about having the latest revision on day one and it also means contract prices come down quite a bit. As well as I get a fairly nice/decent with EE on top of my retentions.

Only if EE could offer a 1 year contract that wasn't there stupid max plan thing. Main reason for needing to get rid of this phone sooner rather than later is it gets handed down to the other half who is still currently on a iPhone 5.

I may have a look at second hand prices and see what they are like and if they seem worth it over what I'd pay.

I'm convinced a preowned (or even a new) 6S Plus and a sim only contract would be cheaper and certainly more flexible.

Just remember there's a lot you can do around paying more for the phone and less for the line, there's no need for them to be wedded to each other unless you can't or won't pay for more/all of the phone in one go.

Associate
How do you guys find the battery life on the 7. Contract up for renewal soon and thinking I will probably switch back to apple mainly due to form factor.

Want something 5" or below and iPhone 7 seems to be the best that I can find.

Personally not that impressive, my last phone HTC 10 wasnt that impressive either. So I guess im used to it.:rolleyes:
Hope this years iPhone improves on that front.

Do like the phone for the most part though.

Screen protectors have been a PITA for iPhone 6 and onwards because there's a slight curve in the glass at the edges of the screen...

Means you'll get respectable screen protector companies making products that don't seem to fit, it's tricky to get something flat to stick to a curved surface so the choice is either go slightly too wide and risk chips and lifting or thinner and make it look like it doesn't fit.

Just be aware there are relatively few glass screen protector manufacturers, the vast majority of what you'll find on Amazon/eBay and even places like Mobile Fun all come out of the same factories.

Exceptions are people like Zagg, Panzer Glass, Tech21 etc.. proper brands.

If you must have one then I'd go with Zagg myself, their hybrid stuff is really interesting but you'll pay for it.

Much below £15/£20 you'll just be getting generic stuff with a huge markup so you're better just going with a £5 eBay special.

Personally I use the nano liquid stuff which after forcing myself to be cool with it (it's a bit emperors new clothes.. you can't see it when it's on) I've been really impressed and I love the feel of no screen protector at all.

Check out crystalusion or shark proof that sort of thing.

How are you finding the liquid nano?
Not a fan of screen protectors either but my devices always seem to get light scratches on the screen, no matter how much I think I'm babying it. Currently using a flimsy case I got off ebay for like £2 which covers front and back of the screen, but gonna get rid soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
How are you finding the liquid nano?
Not a fan of screen protectors either but my devices always seem to get light scratches on the screen, no matter how much I think I'm babying it. Currently using a flimsy case I got off ebay for like £2 which covers front and back of the screen, but gonna get rid soon.

Personally found it surprisingly good, I've had nothing but that on my iPhone 7 and it's got a couple of super suuuuuper light marks but nothing you can feel.. just that if you were being super awkward you could see when the phone is switched off and tilted into the light.

Obviously I'd have these marks on a screen protector too along with all the usual issues with lifting/chipping/bubbles etc etc so I'm much happier without.

I've spent all this time trying to keep my screen completely immaculate for resale and then I never resell, I tend to just recycle now and a few tiny marks don't matter... it's so much easier than trying to sell on here and someone saying "a mint one sold for £400 so as you have some practically invisible marks entirely in line with a very well looked after 2nd hand phone I'll offer you 50p"

Like I say.. surprised with the quality.

Associate
Are there any decent screen protectors out there? Ones the cover the whole front and go around the home button fully. I'd also want a case that has holes in the case inline with the speaker holes but they all seem to be just one big cut out for each set of holes.

Soldato
Are there any decent screen protectors out there? Ones the cover the whole front and go around the home button fully. I'd also want a case that has holes in the case inline with the speaker holes but they all seem to be just one big cut out for each set of holes.

I did chapter and verse on this a couple of posts up?

There are plenty of cases with the speaker holes but you'll need to look for an iPhone 7 case not one which is compatible with 6 and 7 which most are nowadays, they'll have the holes because the bottom of an iPhone 6 is different the the 7.

Soldato
My 6 never had a screen protector on, my current 6S+ hasn't one on. The six had one very small scratch that was only noticeable at exactly the right angle with the screen off. My 6S+ has two small flat dints in the top bezel where I bounced it :)(), yet has a spotless screen.

You just don't need one if you take some care.

Associate
Personally found it surprisingly good, I've had nothing but that on my iPhone 7 and it's got a couple of super suuuuuper light marks but nothing you can feel.. just that if you were being super awkward you could see when the phone is switched off and tilted into the light.

Obviously I'd have these marks on a screen protector too along with all the usual issues with lifting/chipping/bubbles etc etc so I'm much happier without.

I've spent all this time trying to keep my screen completely immaculate for resale and then I never resell, I tend to just recycle now and a few tiny marks don't matter... it's so much easier than trying to sell on here and someone saying "a mint one sold for £400 so as you have some practically invisible marks entirely in line with a very well looked after 2nd hand phone I'll offer you 50p"

Like I say.. surprised with the quality.

lol at the selling on here comment:p, I was considering maybe selling mine when the 8 comes out, since it's meant to be a big update & didnt opt for the upgrade program which in hindsight I reckon I should have just chose it over the normal financing or If Android tempts me back this year,

But might just keep it as a spare so im tryna keep it in as good as condition as possible, just in case.

Defo look into the coating, since Im not a fan of physical protectors.

Thanks for the opinion!

Man of Honour
My 6 never had a screen protector on, my current 6S+ hasn't one on. The six had one very small scratch that was only noticeable at exactly the right angle with the screen off. My 6S+ has two small flat dints in the top bezel where I bounced it :)(), yet has a spotless screen.

You just don't need one if you take some care.

Agreed. A friend uses one and it looks horrible. Haven't had a marked screen since before the 6.

Soldato
My wife's ageing 5c started to play up so I passed my 6s on to her, and decided to go for the 7 Plus. I've been using the 6s Plus as a work phone and had gotten used to the bigger form factor.

I must say that I'm a little underwhelmed, and can see why the general advice to most people with a 6s was not to upgrade. There's no significant increase in snappiness, and the battery life is worse than my work 6s Plus (although I've got more apps running on the 7 Plus). I really hope the next one is more of a transformational update - the step up from 6s to 7 really is nothing special.

Soldato
I highly highly doubt they'd call it the anniversary edition.. I can see it just being called iPhone to be fair.

There's also a lot of idle speculation that in some of their target growth markets 8 is a very lucky number so ditching the opportunity to call it 8 may not be one to miss.

But the numbering convention will get silly soon.

Back
Top Bottom