The Last of Us (HBO, from Creator of Chernobyl) - No game spoilers please

Was ok but as some people have mentioned the pacing was off. Was never that fond of the story when playing the game and definitely not looking forward to season 2. I had to force myself to finish the game.

Last edited:
It's weird, the game ends the same way pretty much and it felt like a good ending at the time.

But watching the TV show it definitely feels like that is an end of season finale and not an 'end'

I know it's getting a season 2, which it does need and so many vocal people are/were down on the game (part II)

I thought TLOU Part II was a decent game with a great story. The trouble is people read many leaked spoilers before they even played it and made up their minds up about it before they even got to play it (or some just didn't even bother)

Last edited:
I thought the finale was a bit weak, could have done with a bit more build up....and the 'shooty' bit was a bit Doom the movie cringe. Very clumsy after how the rest of the series was handled.

Closing few minutes were good though.

I'd be amazed if they don't split the second game over two seasons....can't wait for it either way absolutely loved part 2....will be hard to not play through it again after finishing my part 1 playthrough.

It's weird, the game ends the same way pretty much and it felt like a good ending at the time.

But watching the TV show it definitely feels like that is an end of season finale and not an 'end'

As someone who didn''t play the games and doesn't know what was cut, it still feels like content was cut.

Overall I thought the series was great. However I do feel it could have done with a couple of extra episodes, and pacing was off.

I'm really glad I read nothing about it before watching it too, as it seems the discussion here and elsewhere was so divisive I can't help but think I'd have been far more disappointed reading the ongoing commentary week by week.

Overall a great series, but I hope they sort out pacing issues and aren't afraid to add enough episodes to tell the whole story, especially if the story told in the game is as good as everyone says.

Hopefully the success of S1 will give them the budget and confidence to do this from here on out in this series, and potentially other game adaptations too.

The Last of Us... A banging start followed by a slow meandering spiral into dull irrelevancy, with an 'ok' finale.
Paradoxically its simultaneously the slowest AND most rushed story I've ever seen.

I think I'd give season 1 maybe..... a...... 6.5/10 as a whole.
I guess you could say that summarizes the season as 'meh'.
Yea you pretty much nailed it. There were 2 episodes where it didn't really progress the story, especially the Riley episode.

lol at all the people complaining about episodes that don't 'progress the story'. This whole mentality is why I find it hard to watch movies with an entire story crammed into 1.5 hour segments these days. You just can't build an immersive world and story in such a short space of screen time.

Of all series, a video game adaptation, it's all about world building. If you can't have a few episodes from a series dedicated to world building, then what's the point? Watch a 2 hour movie where every 5 minutes is dedicated to plot progression and then move onto the next movie.

40 minute final episode season finale?

They really spoiled us eh..

Why on earth was that so rushed? Marlene drops a bombshell re. the surgery, Joel has about 10 seconds to process it and then we have the fairly entertaining spectacle of Joel going rambo on the hospital. The journey to Tommy's village took about 5 episodes the first time round, but we managed to get there in about 5 minutes this time round. I cant be the only one who thinks that pacing is way off

Last edited:
A very good and morally confusing last episode. Just who did Joel do it for…?

Brilliant stuff from the two leads, looking forward to more.

Yeah, ultimately Joel's the bad guy.

I enjoyed the series overall but agree with pacing concerns. That episode needed to be feature length

They have said the second game will span multiple seasons so that may address this going forward. I imagine they will be much less true to the source material for Part 2

As someone who didn''t play the games and doesn't know what was cut, it still feels like content was cut.
There wasn't anything of significance cut, not story-wise. Some sections were considerably more in depth and the DLC was included.

There's not a whole lot to Part 1. Part 2 is a completely different beast though, there's far more complexity to the story and the telling of it. As I've said, I'll be amazed if it's not split over two seasons.

40 minute final episode season finale?

They really spoiled us eh..

Why on earth was that so rushed? Marlene drops a bombshell re. the surgery, Joel has about 10 seconds to process it and then we have the fairly entertaining spectacle of Joel going rambo on the hospital. The journey to Tommy's village took about 5 episodes the first time round, but we managed to get there in about 5 minutes this time round. I cant be the only one who thinks that pacing is way off

So you wanted 5 episodes of them travelling back to the village after the ending? Why the **** would they do that? You do understand that episodes are not real time? They did it in 5 minutes because nothing interesting happened in that journey.

Last edited:
Overall very good. I enjoyed almost all the episodes. Definitely suffered from being rushed though....a very rushed last episode. More, or longer, episodes would have helped or getting rid of one or two of them and going more in to the main characters and their journey. All seemed a little easy didn't it?

TLoU is right up there as one of my favourites games of all time, because of the story. This series didn't leave the same, lasting impression sadly. A 7.5 for me.

Last edited:
Thought it was a great last episode and very pleased they didn't mess with the ending. Feel a bit mixed on the series overall however. At times the story felt VERY episodic, almost villain of the week style. That time spent away from J & E undersells that ending quite a lot and the 'Left Behind' episode I thought would have been better served with a few 5 minute nods at the start of each episode.

Is it what I wanted? Not entirely, but it was never going to be. So much of the story works because of the medium it's told in and it just can't be translated to TV with the same flare. However they did a good enough job and despite really disliking that second game I think it will probably make a much better TV show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom