The Last of Us (HBO, from Creator of Chernobyl) - No game spoilers please

TBH was bored through the last 2 episodes, was mostly well trodden TWD territory. I know roughly how the game story went but I had high hopes with the 2nd episode they were going to go with a bit of a fresher approach.

It was just OK. Wasn't a fan of episode 3 and the two old gay men kissing and in bed with each other. It was a good episode though, just it didn't need the man love on screen.
I'm straight so why would I enjoy watching that? Do women enjoy watching two guys get it on the same way men like watching two women get it on?
Episode 7 and the lesbian kissing. Was that for the teenage boys to get aroused at watching or why?
The show as a whole was a 7/10 some exciting bits, some engaging story and some boring bits you skip through.
Reality bites again?

Gotta pay the troll toll.

It's not there for titillation, it's there to show a relationship developing.

He doesn't have to enjoy watching gay sex though, that's perfectly acceptable IMO. Many years ago there was fantastic show called "Queer as Folk" on CH4, there was some very graphic gay sex in that and I did not want to see that either. I can't see the problem.

As for the show, it was ok, uneven, I think overall it fell off over the course of the series.

6/6.5 - 10.

Well I just got to watching the final after losing interest for a few days....

Ok well a twist i guess.... Very dumb stupid Joel. It was probably very cool 10 years ago or whatever now it's just stupid. She really should have picked a better man to deliver her or done it herself.

Well I just got to watching the final after losing interest for a few days....

Ok well a twist i guess.... Very dumb stupid Joel. It was probably very cool 10 years ago or whatever now it's just stupid. She really should have picked a better man to deliver her or done it herself, cost her 10 guys and the human race everything.

#subvert my expectations.... #facepalm

I get why game players were creaming their panties and everyone else just..... Rolled their eyes.

Don't know if anyone's a fan of Kermode and Mayo's film review. They reviewed TLoU on a special podcast, and were gushing over it. Said it could potentially be up there with the likes of The Wire as one of the best TV shows ever. Not saying I agree or disagree; make of it what you will.

I’ve read a few pages of comments from the first episode and found it interesting to read.

I’ve watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed them. I’ve never played the games.

I really like Pedro Pascal as the main guy, I think he’s great.

Bella Ramsey is doing a great job of playing an annoying teenager.

A few episodes in. Also, a big fan of both games

Joel's casting is spot on. Really impressed with that actor. I know he took his lumps because of being the wrong race, but I think he nails Joel perfectly.

Ellie annoys me but I suspect that any 14yo girl will annoy me. Seems to play a decent Ellie.

Favorite episode so far is the Bill episode. Good to see his story fleshed out.

Biggest miscast for me is Tommy. GTFO outta here with that guy. Nothing like Tommy from the game.

Other than that, a solid 8/10 from me so far.

Don't know if anyone's a fan of Kermode and Mayo's film review. They reviewed TLoU on a special podcast, and were gushing over it. Said it could potentially be up there with the likes of The Wire as one of the best TV shows ever. Not saying I agree or disagree; make of it what you will.

As had been touched on in the thread I think it has been written to pander to the pundits, etc. though there were touches of brilliance especially around episode 2 overall it really isn't that special and spends far too much time on some stuff which doesn't need that long to cover while not spending enough time on some of the more interesting bits.

A few episodes in. Also, a big fan of both games

Joel's casting is spot on. Really impressed with that actor. I know he took his lumps because of being the wrong race, but I think he nails Joel perfectly.

Ellie annoys me but I suspect that any 14yo girl will annoy me. Seems to play a decent Ellie.

Favorite episode so far is the Bill episode. Good to see his story fleshed out.

Biggest miscast for me is Tommy. GTFO outta here with that guy. Nothing like Tommy from the game.

Other than that, a solid 8/10 from me so far.
Bella knocks it out of the park as the series goes on, she's brilliant. A little different to the game Ellie, but then Joel is too. They're both more rough around the edges, darker, I guess, in the show, you miss all the lighter moments and incidental dialogue from the game.

Joel's killing spree was so laughably bad it somehow gave me flashbacks of the police station assault in the Terminator :cry:

But what a pants finale. Strolling about again. Oh look, we're being ambushed. How complacent can you be in light of all the danger you've been through recently?

Zzzzz. Dumb writing, dumb plot, dumb tv, which became worse and worse after #3 and really only propped up by magnificent visuals (the usual crowd pleaser).

Worst for me though is Elle, gradually making Joel her bitch the entire season through her cringy smack talk. I thought men had been demasculated enough in recent times, so bonus points to HBO for going extracurricular and using a child with a foul mouth to further the crusade.

Last edited:
Worst for me though is Elle, gradually making Joel her bitch the entire season through her cringy smack talk. I thought men had been demasculated enough in recent times, so bonus points to HBO for going extracurricular and using a child with a foul mouth to further the crusade.

You thought Elle in this demasculated Joel?!

Can't tell if serious.

She recently cleaved a mans face to mush after he tried to rape, murder and eat her.

She was clearly very traumatised, barely engaging with Joel. She wasn't the Ellie we met at the start of the series.

At this stage of the series he already loves her like a daughter though ultimately he can't bring himself to say exactly that ("It wasn't time that did it") and is doing anything he can to connect with her ("You know what i'm in the mood for? Bad puns")

When else did she "race off" other than when she saw a Giraffe? Which by the way is exactly like the game.

Back
Top Bottom