The Last of Us Part II

Meh I think it's just become the trend to hate on it, it's perfection story wise/writing/execution. There is zero reason to hate it in reality, unless you're CLEARLY going down the sheep path and Oh NoE oNe Of ThE GiRlS wAnTs To Be A SoLdIiEr BuT iSnT AlLoWeD iM sCaReD oF lEsBiAnS

The reason i didn't like it as a sequel was nothing to with her build - tbf they lived at a stadium with a state of the art gym, so deffo possible.

It was the fact they killed off a great character and turned Ellie into a psychotic revenge killing terminator. Thus completely ruining 2 characters you came to care about and were rooting for in a world gone bad.

Again what I didn't like about this game was the disjointed manner in which we move from protoganist to the other. I honestly feel the game was about 4/5 hours too long and was expecting the end to arrive but then for the story to carry on down another garden path. Makes me laugh about people that cry that Joel gets slotted - he openly states that he done the same to others earlier in the story - so why are we putting him on some pedestal? All is fair in love and war.

I really hope that they don't do a Last of us Part 2: Remaster like they did with with Part 1 but it is Naughty Dog and they do like charging £70 for the same gameplay experience.

Again what I didn't like about this game was the disjointed manner in which we move from protoganist to the other. I honestly feel the game was about 4/5 hours too long and was expecting the end to arrive but then for the story to carry on down another garden path. Makes me laugh about people that cry that Joel gets slotted - he openly states that he done the same to others earlier in the story - so why are we putting him on some pedestal? All is fair in love and war.

I really hope that they don't do a Last of us Part 2: Remaster like they did with with Part 1 but it is Naughty Dog and they do like charging £70 for the same gameplay experience.

Same reason I thought it was a great game but not perfect.

By the end of it, I was conflicted. While I was playing I kept thinking "that's enough Abby, let's get back to the main story" (I know I was missing the point really). By the end of it, I don't think they could have trimmed any of Abby's story. It was too long for me to ever play through again though.

Both games are brilliant. I may have been more bothered about the bait and switch but I didn't really pay much attention to the initial release (I played it for the first time a few months ago) and I hadn't played the original since the PS3 release so even though I loved Joel and was really sorry to see him go, I was semi okay with it. In some way, I wish he could have been included but it's really Ellie's (and Abby's) story.

I'd imagine they'll tie it in with the release of the second season of the TV series, so they can release Part II on PC and catch any newer PS5 owners at the same time. If they were going to do a free update/upgrade they'd have done it by now.

I said it earlier but my first taste of the series was the remake of 1 on PS5. I then played 2 (bought from PS Store) on the same machine on the same TV (LG OLED) within a couple of weeks of each other and I really can't tell the difference. I think a PS5 re-do is going to have to come with something a bit more than just a shine and a polish.

Had a spare hour last night, thought I'd knock it over. I'm back to Ellie and still not done! Although I now have a sweet silenced sub machine gun. Pew pew.

If they released a Part 2 'remake' for PS5, it would be great if there was something a little extra added. Maybe some additional levels with Abby to make sure certain groups were even more annoyed than the first time the game released?

Had another bash last night, still at the resort. I will have it beaten by end of the weekend. :cool:

I have read with interest the polarising views on here, especially in the last couple of pages. I don't follow many gamers on youtube however have been following Skillup since Division 1 days. I like his reviews and general content. I watched his review of this yesterday for the first time and he is pretty scathing of it as he makes it clear he expected better improvements and in his opinion no aspect of it is better than the original save for the visuals and the graphical world. He goes on to say that there will likely be two sets of people with this game, those that loved the first and want more (and more, and more) of the same and those that expected better of the story. He then makes a comparison with season 8 of Game of Thrones and the latest Star Wars trilogy and that makes total sense. Some loved it however hardcore fans hated the direction of the story and the change in the characters. Others (and I am one of them) thought they were ok and more Star Wars is always better than no Star Wars. I also understand that they are all works of fiction and escapism. Not every book I read or movie I watch end up being amazing but I have better things to do than get upset by it. I'll also say though that I am late to the world of PS after Xboxing for so long so missed the initial release of the original and sequel and therefore the "bait and switch" by the developers. I may feel different had I endured those such terrible times. :D

Is it better than the original? I think for me overall yes. It is perhaps too long and the sheer amount of brutal killings the two young girls manage to achieve is beyond unbelievable but I do love the game mechanics and murdering scars and wolfs is so very satisfying so an additional and possibly unneeded few hours of that isn't a bad thing. For these two girls to risk so much on crazy revenge missions when just surviving is so hard and takes up so much energy again, isn't really believable but then again which games are? I think seeing it from both characters points of view is really good and the transitions between them is seamless. The points in the game when the two stories collide, like in the aquarium, or when you realise who Abbey is, are exceptional.
I mentioned up there about how intense the hospital level was but actually getting there, up and then down those decaying buildings was probably the pinnacle of it for me so far.

I haven't finished it yet but I have a feeling I know where the story is heading and it is obviously to one of two conclusions and I am ok with either outcome. What's more, if they make a part 3 and your character is the transgender mixed race great niece of a random Scar who's head you pierced with an arrow in chapter 4 then I am buying it day one and taking the next day off work to play it.

I’ve been reflecting on comments about the brutality of this game and how Ellie is an unlikable character.

Seems to me that she is exactly the character she should be given the world in which she lives and her lived experience within it.

This is a world where everything she cares about has been taken. A world where almost everything and everyone is trying to kill her and where you must kill or be killed. A world where the moral compass was long ago thrown away to facilitate survival.

I personally don’t feel like you could exist in that world and be what we would consider to be a “normal” and likeable character. Out of necessity you would be a ruthless killer.

Sure, there were moments of child like innocence in Part 1, but then I suppose the point really is people grow up.

Ellie has grown up bitter and hateful through imposed loss and grief at her stolen family, stolen childhood and through being lied to by the person she trusted the most. This is compounded by the mental drain of knowing she could have been a key part in turning the world around save for the selfish actions of the one person she most trusted. To top it all off she likes women, and so is further alienated by the wider group. I suggest that all of these things would weigh heavy and create a very angry and defensive person.

For me, her character and actions fit the world she lives in and her lived experience in it.

Last edited:
No doubt ND tried to explore the consequences of all that death, pain and loss. And I think, fair play to them for even trying to approach a game in a much more adult and considered way than we’ve seen before. Some didn’t get it and that’s fine but for me it makes for an incredible and emotional experience throughout.

Finished it last night. Superb. I think the final couple of scenes help show why Ellie was that way and how it was for nothing really considering how she ends up at the very end. Reinforced even more with her conversation with Joel and about her life meaning something.

I’ve spent circa 50 hours in that world over the last few months. Hard to say if it’s my favourite gaming experience to date but it’s definitely up there. Likely neck and neck with opening that barn door as John Marsden all those years ago.
I won’t be NG+ing it as I just don’t have that sort of time, would rather catch up with other things I’ve missed.

Last of us 2 Remaster coming to PS5

* A host of graphical improvements bring the beautiful yet dangerous world to life.
* Visual performance now outputs at 4K in Fidelity Mode.
* Improved loading times more quickly let you jump into action.
*Full DualSense wireless controller integration.

* No Return – A Roguelike Survival Mode
Experience The Last of Us Part II’s deep combat via an entirely new mode! Survive as long as you can in each run as you choose your path through a series of randomized encounters. Play as a host of different unlockable characters, some never-before playable in The Last of Us franchise, each with unique gameplay traits.

* New ways to play
Delve deeper into this beloved adventure and learn how the original game was created.
• Lost Levels lets you explore early-development versions of three new levels not seen in the original.
• Enjoy hours of new developer commentary to hear insights into Part II’s development as you experience the game.
• Live up to your musical potential with Guitar Free Play, which includes new unlockable instruments, or take on the new Speedrun Mod* and post your best times.
• Descriptive Audio and Speech to Vibrations have also been added to Part II's suite of accessibility features.
• The Last of Us Part II Remastered also features brand new unlockable character and weapon skins for players to use for both Ellie and Abby

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom