The Last of Us Part II

Soldato
Cool story lol. Yeah part 1 and left behind should have course be played as well. Do yourself a favour though and buy the PS5 remake of the remaster because it is sublime! You can’t buy this game too many times apparently! I’ve bought it 3 times now.

I’m playing the Part 1 on PS5 right now. I started playing TLOU remastered many years ago and I haven’t actually played it in so many years I’ve forgotten it all.

So I treated myself to Part 1 given it’s got £18ish quid off it on PlayStation store at the moment.

TLOU remastered was thrown into the sale when I bought my PS4 many moons ago, so technically my purchase of Part 1 is the first time I’ve ever actually bought TLOU! :)

Happy days.

Soldato
I’m playing the Part 1 on PS5 right now. I started playing TLOU remastered many years ago and I haven’t actually played it in so many years I’ve forgotten it all.

So I treated myself to Part 1 given it’s got £18ish quid off it on PlayStation store at the moment.

TLOU remastered was thrown into the sale when I bought my PS4 many moons ago, so technically my purchase of Part 1 is the first time I’ve ever actually bought TLOU! :)

Happy days.
How are you liking it so far ? Best story medium in video games thus far for me. Some say it’s a bit cookie cutter.. and yeah it may have a lot of apocalypse/zombie tropes, but damn, naughty dog know how to tell a story.

Soldato
Still plodding my way through this, not read the thread as dont want to spoil the story which is superb. Im 17 hours in and only at the part where you have to steal the boat and after some light goggling Im not even halfway. I won't say I am getting sick of it because I love the characters, the setting, the story and the combat mechanics but it's a bit long. I don't know what Ellies bodycount is but I reckon she has iced more soldiers up to now than Joel did in the whole of part 1! I seem to move into a new area and have to kill 6 or 8 WLF soldiers every few minutes. It's getting a bit much, resources are restricted and I can't make enough arrows so I'm having to take them down with stealth which takes ages. I switched it to light difficulty just so I can get through a bit faster as it makes the enemy way more dopey and you can take them out in a straight gunfight to speed up the process.

Soldato
TLOU is a masterpiece, but 2 is not.

I originally hated playing as Abby but thought they handled her backstory well and i grew to understand her motivation. Buuuuut, i hated what they did to Joel and the fact they made Ellie so unlikable.

These were 2 great characters that were done an injustice in the sequel.

Soldato
Still plodding my way through this, not read the thread as dont want to spoil the story which is superb. Im 17 hours in and only at the part where you have to steal the boat and after some light goggling Im not even halfway. I won't say I am getting sick of it because I love the characters, the setting, the story and the combat mechanics but it's a bit long. I don't know what Ellies bodycount is but I reckon she has iced more soldiers up to now than Joel did in the whole of part 1! I seem to move into a new area and have to kill 6 or 8 WLF soldiers every few minutes. It's getting a bit much, resources are restricted and I can't make enough arrows so I'm having to take them down with stealth which takes ages. I switched it to light difficulty just so I can get through a bit faster as it makes the enemy way more dopey and you can take them out in a straight gunfight to speed up the process.
I kept the difficulty the same, just changed it so more resources spawn. Hated running out of ammo etc.

Soldato
Just finished part 1 and started part 2 again. Still cannot see why this needs a remaster it still looks better than most PS5 games and the 60fps patch is all that’s needed. I imagine it’s a tie in with the tv series to milk the franchise if anything…

Soldato
Having not played it in the past, I played the disc version of the PS5 remake recently, closely followed by the digital version of TLOU2. Both on PS5 and LG OLED. Couldn't really tell the difference to be honest.

Soldato
How are you liking it so far ? Best story medium in video games thus far for me. Some say it’s a bit cookie cutter.. and yeah it may have a lot of apocalypse/zombie tropes, but damn, naughty dog know how to tell a story.

I enjoyed it a lot, but overall I liked Part 2 more.

The two games together are right up there with Days Gone for me, although I marked Days Gone slightly higher overall.

Really not sure what all the fuss was about with Part 2 back when it was released, or how anyone could say that Part 2 is a travesty that ruined the franchise.

Soldato
I enjoyed it a lot, but overall I liked Part 2 more.

The two games together are right up there with Days Gone for me, although I marked Days Gone slightly higher overall.

Really not sure what all the fuss was about with Part 2 back when it was released, or how anyone could say that Part 2 is a travesty that ruined the franchise.
For the main - it was because many people did not get the story they wanted.
Everyone knew that it was set some time past the original and they wanted the "duo" to effectively do the same as they did, just older and wiser.
So a certain event in the game was not as expected - so the winging started. Then there was a dislike of the Abby character - complaints of the "build" of the Abby character.
When you actually take the time to read those that reviewed it badly, it does just boil down to a story they didn't expect so didn't like and a character they didn't like and felt couldn't possible have been as "jacked" as they were.

Part 2 was emotionally draining. I got to the end of that and I was exhausted - and that tells me what a fantastic game it is.

Soldato
I loved part 2. I think maybe overall I even preferred the story (maybe not preferred but I definitely felt more from it).

However, the game was too long. We didn't need to play as Abby anywhere near as much but then, maybe if there wasn't as much I wouldn't have sympathised with either Abby or Ellie as much at the end.

Both 1 and 2 were fantastic games though.

Soldato
It was a mixed bag tbh - fans of the first, who felt invested into Joel and Ellie, didn't expect Naughty Dog to kill one of them off; and with a random character related to an NPC you offed in the first game. But how they added that arc was actually quite good.

The biggest issue for those fans, I think, were the half truths - I cannot recount them all as there was so much rubbish around at the time; but Naughty Dog were certainly guilty of some bait and switching tactics. The most prominent that I can think of, was a clip showing Joel telling Ellie he wasn't going to let her do it alone (or some such) - but when the game came out it was Jesse. That sort of thing was prett bad imo, as there's a decent chance that fans of the first, may have purchased the game thinking Joel would play more of a role than he ended up doing. But hey, subject to change and all that guff.

Sadly, there were also some right nutters put there too - who took it too far, and did the unusual thing of sending death treats, and hounding actors off of social media; the likeness of Abby left ******* because of it iirc.

For me personally, I was disappointed by the changes they made, but I still enjoyed 2 - though it didn't have the emotional connection of the first; I didn't care about Abby and her crew, and even Ellie grated on me a lot. I think the only time I felt something, was when the pregnant woman was scared and wide eyed during a cut scene. Other than that, the game just felt like a kill fest.

TLOU is still one of the greatest games I have ever played, and a huge part of that, was the story and the connection you had with it - but I just found the second one not to be on par with it; there's lots to like, but I just found it was a pretty gun fest compared to the first.

Soldato
I'm only half way through but yeah, way too much killing going on. It's pretty satisfying so I don't mind but I reckon Ellie has killed more people so far than Joel did in the whole of the first game.

Soldato
Pulled a couple of sickies this week and got back into this. It’s superb in pretty much every way. Quite deep into the Abby storyline now, I knew it was coming but didn’t know her place in the story so wasn’t really looking forward to it but actually think I prefer her. Dunno how she’s so jacked though, all she’s eaten in three days is a flat looking burrito yet she looks like an Icelandic crossfitter.

Soldato
I'm only half way through but yeah, way too much killing going on. It's pretty satisfying so I don't mind but I reckon Ellie has killed more people so far than Joel did in the whole of the first game.
That was the only thing that really bothered me in part 2. It's incredibly realised, particularly once you upgrade the takedown, the flash in Ellie's eyes as she guts people is really visceral, and it still is after literally hundreds of people have died the same way......and it creates this odd disconnect between Ellie the person, and Ellie the unstoppable killing machine.

Not exclusively a problem with TLOU though, but more glaring because of how developed the emotional side of characters are and how graphic the violence is.

I replayed Part 1 recently, need to give Part 2 another run through on the PS5.... But need to get in the right frame of mind for that epic...

Soldato
That was the only thing that really bothered me in part 2. It's incredibly realised, particularly once you upgrade the takedown, the flash in Ellie's eyes as she guts people is really visceral, and it still is after literally hundreds of people have died the same way......and it creates this odd disconnect between Ellie the person, and Ellie the unstoppable killing machine.

Not exclusively a problem with TLOU though, but more glaring because of how developed the emotional side of characters are and how graphic the violence is.

I replayed Part 1 recently, need to give Part 2 another run through on the PS5.... But need to get in the right frame of mind for that epic...
Shows what a masterpiece they both are tbh.

Presume you’ve watched the tv show, can you see the girl that played Ellie carrying it off in season 2? It’s a firm no from me.

Soldato
Presume you’ve watched the tv show, can you see the girl that played Ellie carrying it off in season 2? It’s a firm no from me.
It's definitely going to be a big challenge....of course the show doesn't need so much 'filler' violence, but the core of it is Ellie being a murderous badass still.

Give em the benefit of the doubt though, they knocked the first series out the park....see what they do with it.

Back
Top Bottom